Seeking Info on great-grandparents: Massimini and Campitelli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
michellefoxx94

Seeking Info on great-grandparents: Massimini and Campitelli

Postby michellefoxx94 » 27 Jul 2009, 14:44

Howdy from Texas!
I would appreciate any help finding information on my great-grandparents. Mauro Massimini and his wife, Filomena, emigrated to the US around 1909. The passenger list states they were traveling to see Uncle Carmine Campitelli. From what I have found thus far, I believe Carmine was Filomena's brother as their birthdays are on the exact same date.
They brought their three oldest children with them: Virginia, Assunta or Assunda and Vincent.
The family ended up in Chester County, Pennsylvania. My grandfather's family lived in Downingtown. Most of his children still live in the area.
Grazie,
Tracy Spencer

vj
Master
Master

Re: Seeking Info on great-grandparents: Massimini and Campit

Postby vj » 27 Jul 2009, 17:36

Hello Tracy
Welcome to the forum!
I was looking at your family pages on ancestry.
It appears that you already have quite a few of your US records including Mauro Massimini's 1942 Draft Registration card. It indicated he was born in Castel Frentano?
Do you need help with any of your US records, or assistance with how to research your family in Italy (or both)?
Thanks!
Valarie

michellefoxx94

Postby michellefoxx94 » 27 Jul 2009, 18:45

I'm doing ok with the US part of my research. Other than finding that draft notice with Castel Frentano on it, I have nothing on the italian side of my family.

Mauro and Philomena spoke only Italian. Their children were bilingual, but the kids did not teach their children Italian due to racism. My mother was actually denied an award only because she had an Italian name.

Anyway, when Mom learned high school French, she and Filomena could have limited discussions since both languages are Latin based, but family history would have been beyond their capabilites. Mom was taught to say "Good day, Grandfather and Grandmother." That's about it.

Aunt Rose is still living, and I think she is going to call her for any info she might recall, but most of the info I have found was news to my mother, so I don't expect to get much info directly from the family.

Thank you so much for your help!

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 27 Jul 2009, 18:56

Hi!
The FamilySearch Library only has microfilm for Castel Frentano thru 1865.

You may want to start your search at the comune.
Perhaps requesting Mauro's birth & marriage record?

Valarie
---

Research in Castel Frentano by writing to the comune:

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Address:

Comune di Castel Frentano
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Cavalieri Vittorio Veneto 5
66032 Castel Frentano CH
ITALY

http://www.nonsolocap.it/abruzzo/19-castel-frentano/

Website for finding comune addresses:
http://www.nonsolocap.it/
---

Re: Castel Frentano

I also found a 1919 ship manifest that appears to match the 1920 census you have on your family site on ancestry.
The family on this manifest is also from Castel Frentano joining a Mauro Massimini (lines 27-30).
But, the children's names don't all match and Filomena's maiden name is different.
There is another possible relative on the same manifest page (line 21).

1919 manifest
page 2
special inquiry page
---

edit: added
An obituary for one of Mauro & Filomena's sons?

Philadelphia Inquirer, The (PA) - October 4, 1987
Deceased Name: JOHN MASSIMINI, 81, NATIVE OF ITALY

John Massimini, 81, a native of Italy and a retired pipefitter, died Monday in Chester County Hospital, West Chester. He lived in Downingtown.

Mr. Massimini was born in Castel Frantano, Italy. He immigrated to the United States with his family in the early 1920s and settled in Downingtown, where he attended schools and resided the rest of his life.

He was employed for 40 years as a pipefitter for Sonoco Paper Products in Downingtown. He retired in 1970.

He was a member of St. Joseph's Church of Downingtown and belonged to St. Anthony's Lodge and the Loyal Order of Moose Lodge 1153, both in Downingtown.

Mr. Massimini was the husband of the late Adeline Mattiono Massimini. He is survived by a son, John Massimini Jr.; three daughters, Mina Bender, Patricia Massimini and Joan M. Kroll; two grandchildren; three brothers, and three sisters.

A Mass of Christian Burial was to have been said Saturday in St. Joseph's Church, Downingtown. Burial was to be in the church cemetery.

Edition: PENNA
Page: C43
Copyright (c) 1987 The Philadelphia Inquirer

michellefoxx94

Postby michellefoxx94 » 27 Jul 2009, 19:26

Wow! How do you find so much so quickly? You're AMAZING!

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 27 Jul 2009, 19:28

michellefoxx94 wrote:... How do you find so much so quickly? ...

Tracy,
Because, you gave us excellent information :D .
Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.
Valarie

michellefoxx94

Postby michellefoxx94 » 27 Jul 2009, 19:51

OMG! I just called my mom. Uncle John is the man who introduced my parents! Thank you!

michellefoxx94

Postby michellefoxx94 » 19 Aug 2009, 17:38

Thank you so much! I just received the marriage records from Castel Frentano. The names of my great-great grandparents are also included. I'm trying to translate the document with online translation programs, but so far it has been hit and miss. Can anyone suggest a good way to get an accurate translation?

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 19 Aug 2009, 18:33

Sure, you can save the document on your computer, go to an image hosting service like imageshack and post it. Then you can post the address to your document on the "Italian language, handwriting , script & translations" section of our forum for help

If you want to try to do it yourself, this can be a big help:
from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide

Valarie

MMass

Postby MMass » 14 Mar 2011, 02:18

My father is Vincent Massimini, youngest son on Mauro and Filomena Massimini. John was his oldest brother; he, Aunt 'Sue' and Aunt Virginia were with my grandmother when she arrived in the US. My grandfather was already here. I know this response is about 1 1/2 years late but would be interested to learn more. Aunt Rosie is still going strong at 90, very clear mind and as ornery as ever.

michellefoxx94

Postby michellefoxx94 » 14 Mar 2011, 13:15

Howdy from Texas, Cousin! I am the oldest granddaughter of your Uncle Frank. My mother is Sherry, his oldest. I'm glad to hear Aunt Rosie is doing well. Does that mean you are in Chester County?
I have an extra copy of Mauro and Filomena's marriage license. I can send it to you, if you like. It's written in Italian, of course. I don't know about Uncle Vincent, but Pop Pop wouldn't teach his kids Italian, so his grandkids don't know it either. Maybe Aunt Rosie could take a crack at it?

MMass

Postby MMass » 16 Mar 2011, 01:57

I saw the name Tracy and knew that Sherry had a daughter named Tracy, but I didn't connect...thinking you were in Arkansas or Mississippi, not Texas. I worked with Uncle Frank at Pepperidge Farms when I was in college. He and my Dad were in Bryn Mawr Rehab together prior to your Pop Pop passing. My father had a major stroke 10 yrs ago, he's still living but confined to a wheel chair and can't speak very well...hardly at all. We only learned the bad words in Italian. If you send the marriage license, I'll get a copy to Aunt Rosie. I live near Baltimore. I just got a picture of Aunt Sue and your grandfather at Uncle John's wedding. Its date is uncertain, but I'm guessing late 1930's, early 40's. Your Pop Pop is possibly still a teenager in the picture. I'm Michael, I remember seeing you when you were a very young girl. Stay in touch. I'm not sure how to send you a copy of the picture. My first time on a forum like this.

michellefoxx94

Postby michellefoxx94 » 16 Mar 2011, 03:06

Well, Cousin Michael! I can't wait to tell Mom who has contacted us. She will be tickled.
Those strokes are nasty things. Mom Mom was in the hospital for years after her stroke, but I guess you knew that. Does your father feel okay, or is he in pain?
You may have to teach me some of the colorful parts of the Italian language. ; )
Oh, I would love to see any pictures you have of the Italian side of the family. Like Mom, they seemed to be camera shy.
I also heard, right after we got back from my dad's mom's funeral, that another cousin, Donna, just passed from cancer. I know Mom wishes she could have been there, but nobody knew where to reach us during Grandma's funeral.
Here are my e-mail addresses. You can send me your mailing address and I will get that marriage license right to you. michellefoxx94@yahoo.com or tracey.spencer@lit.edu

Return to “Italian Genealogy”