What should be my next step?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

What should be my next step?

Postby CowryShells » 01 Aug 2009, 16:53

I would like to get the birth certificates of my great great grandparents who remained in Italy. I only know their names and the town or city where they died. I'd appreciate any suggestions you have for me.

For one set, I have their son's "estratto" birth certificate of 1872. I have written to request the "fotocopia come da registro di atto di nascita" of this son, because it should tell me the year his parents were born. For the other set, I don't yet have their daughter's birth certificate. The US documents have inconsistencies regarding her surname and birth date, so the comune is still looking for her records.

The son and daughter came to the US, but I don't know if they naturalized. I have ordered a search for the son with USCIS.

I am new at this and not sure what would be best to do next.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: What should be my next step?

Postby PeterTimber » 01 Aug 2009, 17:06

anything prior to 1809 is a hit or miss thing since civil records commenced inthe south (Thanks to Mr Fayol,the mining engineer who established civil bureaucracy for Napoleon) of Italy while Bonaparte occupied that area around 1812 and far into the Northeast of Italy.

So when the estratto di nascita arrives you will know when the parents wwere born and most likely will have to go to the church for a birth record for prior to establishment of civil records. =Peter=
~Peter~

CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Postby CowryShells » 01 Aug 2009, 17:50

My GGF was born in 1872. I'm thinking my GGGF and GGGM may have been born between 1837 - 1852, if they were from 20 to 35 years old at the time of their son's birth.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 01 Aug 2009, 18:21

Most children were born in quick succession after military service while parents are in their 20's but back then it should have been similar so dates look good. Church records best bet it would seem...but what town are you talking about??=Peter=
~Peter~

CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Postby CowryShells » 01 Aug 2009, 18:48

They were living in San Marco in Lamis (FG) when their son was born.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”