How to access Birth info from Fiumefreddo Sicily?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

How to access Birth info from Fiumefreddo Sicily?

Postby Lili2 » 02 Aug 2009, 08:26

Hi Im researching my family tree. Ive reached a dead end with getting info about the names and dates of birth and death of my great great grandparents. My great grandparents were buried in Fiumefreddo di Sicilia their names were Giuseppe Spina and Venera Sciacca both born 1867.

Im wondering how and where to get info from the appropriate office in Fiumefreddo or Catania regarding their parents. I dont know their first names only their surnames and can only guess that they were born in the early 1840's.

Does anyone know the address I should post to? What would a photocopy of a death certificate cost?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: How to access Birth info from Fiumefreddo Sicily?

Postby suanj » 02 Aug 2009, 13:24

the better way is to find the birth records in Fiumefreddo di Sicilia, by Mormon's microfilms:
Place Italy, Catania, Fiumefreddo di Sicilia

Topics Italy, Catania, Fiumefreddo di Sicilia - Census
Italy, Catania, Fiumefreddo di Sicilia - Church records
Italy, Catania, Fiumefreddo di Sicilia - Civil registration ( from 1820 to 1929)
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0
and you can find also the marriage and most probably also the death records...
without names, right birth date and the death date the civil records officer cannot help, because he needing of sure data....
hoping helpful,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

annwncomes

Postby annwncomes » 02 Aug 2009, 19:47

It seems that records can be unpredictable depending on the region. I tried to obtain birth records through myitalianheritage.com they were unsucessful but the region was hit with eathquakes in 1915, they did give me a refund of part of the money it cost. Other people I have talked to have said great things about thier service.

Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Bette » 02 Aug 2009, 23:07

If you have a Mormon Family History center in your area, that is the best bet. It is the marriage record of Giuseppe Spina and Venera Sciacca that you should seek to find the names of their parents. If you only look at birth records, you could easily end up finding the wrong Giuseppe Spina and get off on the wrong track. Once you find the marriage record, you will, no doubt, be hooked and want to continue researching all those wonderful records - births, marriages and deaths for the period: 1820 - 1929. If you have never read the records before, be sure to read one of the companion books beforehand to help you with the translations. Trafford Cole's book, ad appears on the left of this page or the book by Lynn Nelson (softcover).

Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lili2 » 03 Aug 2009, 11:44

Thank you so much for your helpful advice. I will try this out. Can anyone access the Mormon Family History centre? Is it available online? I live in Australia.
Kind Regards, Liliana

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 03 Aug 2009, 12:05

Liliana,
the Mormon's microfilms are not available on-line, you have to go by person to their Centers.

this is the link to find your nearest Family History Center:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp

Laura :D

Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lili2 » 04 Aug 2009, 11:55

Thanks Laura I'll try this.

Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lili2 » 07 Aug 2009, 04:09

Hi, I have now made contact with my local family History Centre. The volunteers there are very helpful. I've been told the films Im after have to come from the USA. It may take 6weeks or up to 1 year to get them. Apparently it depends on how many people are before me in the order etc. The volunteers are not able to find out how long it will take. So now all I can do is wait. Liliana

Return to “Italian Genealogy”