Biological mother to identical twin boys

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jkawa

Biological mother to identical twin boys

Postby jkawa » 06 Aug 2009, 06:30

I am not sure where to begin to obtain birth records for adopted children in Italy circa 1933/1944.
My father and uncle were given the date for their birth as March 26, 1934. I believe that they were in the orphanage and/ or born in the Trastevere hospital in Rome. One baby was adopted by the Mancone(mother)/ DiRuzza (Father) family in Castrocielo-Roccasecca/ Frosinone province . He was told that he was taken from the Trastevere area and given the name of 'Tierli'; I have yet to find any correlation to this name. His identical twin brother, was adopted by the Calcagni family from nearby Arce, whose family moved to Rome after WWII. Both babies were taken by the women originally as wet nurses, providing milk after the loss of their own natural baby and received small pay for providing care. Each mother kept the babies in contact however in separate families as one family could not take both babies. The two boys were eventually reunited and later went to Don Bosco for schooling. I am trying to research their background to find records for their natural mother. Most likely she is passed or perhaps at least 91 (if she birthed them at 16 yrs). Any help, contacts or assistance would be gratefully appreciated.
I am quite impressed by the information on this site and on the internet regarding foundlings, and about balie Ciociano, considering irony of the roots being in Frosinone PR. Molto grazie!

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Biological mother to identical twin boys

Postby Italysearcher » 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

It was very common for women from Ciociara (Arce and Castrocielo) who lost their own babies to go to Rome and wet nurse an abandoned child if there were no needy children in their own area. It is very unlikely you will find the natural mother. It was legal for mother's to give birth and simply walk away with no records being kept and no signatures needed. The hospital MAY have some records but I doubt they would share given privacy issues. You could write to Rome for their birth certificates.
Comune di Roma
VIA PETROSELLI 50
Roma, RM 00186
Be sure to include a stamped addressed envelope.

SORA where I live has a book of foster parents for this period which includes photos of the women and the reason they were available for wet nursing.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

jkawa

Postby jkawa » 06 Aug 2009, 16:34

Regarding the birth certificate request from Rome:can I write the correspondence in English? Should I use the given name (Tierli) that my father use during childhood or his adopted parents' names? Is there anything additional that I should forward with the request?

The Sora book is interesting...perhaps we can get more information from you abut the book, such as it in a private collection or city records? Do you believe that FR is close enough for those mothers to possibly be in that book?

I am wondering how these mothers, mostly from poor, farming families, with so little means traveled to Rome.

Thanks for your help!

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 06 Aug 2009, 20:55

You should write to Rome in Italian. There are lots of sites with form letters you can use. Give all the information you have. Use the given name.
The Sora book is in the city archives. I doubt your mothers are included and I have seen this type of record anywhere else.
I imagine these women were recompensed by the church for the trip or the city. since it was in their interest to find foster parents for these babies.
The two towns you mentioned MAY have some kind of record of the time they spent there. The parish church may have a record of their first communion or confirmation.
There are photos of Arce on my website but not Castrocielo.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Return to “Italian Genealogy”