SIRKO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
project_gal

SIRKO

Postby project_gal » 15 Aug 2009, 16:00

I am trying to trace the origins of this surname in the UK in eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. In twentieth century UK and US, the surname is f Ukranian origin but I do not think that this is so earlier. An internet search has indicated that SHIRKO could also be Italian in origin and as Andrew Francis SIRKO's daughter married John Mangue/Manque/Mangia CAVALLI, I wonderedif my SIRKO name is of Italian origin.

Am I on the right track, please? Although an experience genealogist, I am very much an Italian Family History virgin.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: SIRKO

Postby suanj » 15 Aug 2009, 16:21

In Italy are a little people's number with SIRCO surname... and more people with CHIRCO surname ( especially in Sicily)

Sirko in Italy exist not...
the italian Andrew Francis SIRKO that you mentioned could be Sirco surname, as foreign version .......... SHIRKO is a surname of Hungary, Russia, Lithuania, Poland, Czechoslovakia... East Europe in some way....
hoping helpful,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

project_gal

Postby project_gal » 15 Aug 2009, 16:28

Suanj

Many thanks for your reply. I am reasonable certain that, due to it extreme rareity in the records, that SIRKO is not the original spelling of the name.

I can now try SIRCO and CHIRCO as variations.

Andrew Francis SIRKO's father was a mariner [sailor]. Was there a maritime tradition from Sicily, please?

Sue

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 15 Aug 2009, 20:00

The Sicily is a isle... and on coast.... many mariners... sure! You can explain better abt your ancestor? where they lived? when immigrated?
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 15 Aug 2009, 20:48

Sue,
if your ancestor was italian, well the spelling could be: Sirco, Chirco and Circo( also sicilian) all italian surnames, similar to your ancestor surname....
instead if was not italian the surname spelling could be Cirko( Galicia, Austria) or Shirko; I know not if Shirko is a version of Cirko...

Andrew Francis Sirko:
1° marriage:
Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 - 1837
about Andrew Sirko
Name: Andrew Sirko (Andrew Francis Sirko)
Spouse: Mary Keating
Marriage Date: 1820
Parish: Holborn St Andrew

http://s6.imagestime.com/out.php/i392233_sirko1.jpg

2° marriage:

Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 - 1837
about Andrew Sirko
Name: Andrew Sirko (Andrew Francis Sirko)
Spouse: Sarah Stubbings
Marriage Date: 1822 ( 14 june 1922)
Parish: St Giles Cripplegate

http://s6.imagestime.com/out.php/i392234_sirko2.jpg

3° marriage

Marriages Mar 1856
Sirco Andrew Francis Stepney* 1c 744

* district Stepney spans the boundaries of the counties of London and Middlesex

-------------------------------------------------------
England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1915
about Andrew Francis Sirko
Name: Andrew Francis Sirko
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1800
Year of Registration: 1869
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at Death: 69

District: Poplar (To 1965)
County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
Volume: 1c
Page: 482 (click to see others on page)

------------------------------

1861 England Census
about Andrew F Serko
Name: Andrew F Serko
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1801
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Ann
Where born: Shadwell, Middlesex, England

Civil parish: St Margaret New Fish Street
County/Island: Middlesex

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage: View image

Registration district: London City
Sub-registration district: London City South East
ED, institution, or vessel: 7
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 16
Household Members: Name Age
Andrew F Serko 60
Ann Serko 55
Jane Leage 21
Elizabeth Leage 17
William Leage 15
Fredrick Witt 24
Sarah A Witt 20
Ann S Witt 6 Mo
Thomas W Flower 31
Sarah Flower 25
Thomas W Flower 1
Maurice Landan 51

--------------------------------
a daughter:
MARY ANN SIRKO
Female Family
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: JOHN MANGUECAVALLI Family
Marriage: 07 APR 1839 Old Church, Saint Pancras, London, England
also:
Marriages Jun 1839
MANQUECAVALLI John St. Pancras 1 277

Mangiacavallo/i is right spelling... it are both the version, with "o" or "i" in the end...
hoping helpful,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

project_gal

Postby project_gal » 16 Aug 2009, 05:26

Suanj

Thanks again for taking so much trouble in your reply but unfortuntely, I have found little about Andrew Francis SIRKO [how he signed his name] and nothing before his marriage in 1820. In addition to what you have posted, his other daughter [Sarah - my ancestor] married in 1843, was left or left her husband very quickly and lived with my 2xG grandfather. She used her married surname, my 2xG grandfather's surname or SIRKO for herself and her children at various times. Two of the children died as SIRKO in St Luke Workhouse in 1853.

Andrew Francis himself was also estranged from his second wife, Sarah, who later lived with a Robert CAMPBELL, taking his name but died in St Luke Workhouse as Sarah SIRKO. Andrew Francis had a third "wife" [Mary who died in 1854] between Sarah STUBBINGS and Ann LEDGE but I have never found this marriage.

Andrew Francis' father was given as Andrew Francis SIRKO, mariner, on the marriage to Ann LEDGE. Despite the census saying that Andrew Francis junior was born at Shadwell in 1801, I have been unable to find any SIRKOs in the Shadwell parish registers between 1774-1812.

Andrew Francis junior was a book binder/vellum binder/stationer who worked for Hennington and Galabin. Galabin was a Hugenout but I do not think that SIRKO is a Hugenout name [however I am checking out that possibility as well]. He went bankrupt in 1842/3 and was in the White Cross Street [London and Middlesex] Debtors Prison.

The man Andrew Francis' daughter, Mary Ann, married is recorded as MANGUE CAVALLI, MANQUE CAVALLI or MANGIE CAVALLI in different records but their son, another Andrew Francis, always called himself CAVALLI. Andrew Francis SIRKO was living with this grandson when he died in 1869. Andrew Francis CAVALLI married Ann LEDGE's daughter, Sarah, and Ann was also living with the CAVALLI family when she died in 1890.

Every SIRKO/SIRCO record I have found in the UK in the nineteenth century relates to this family. I do not think that Andrew Francis junior had any sons. There are twentieth century records which have nothing with the family and seem to have originiated from Eastern Europe [often via the US].

Despite having dicovered so much about this complex family between 1820-1890, I am no closer to finding where the family originated, when they came to the UK or what version of the name they used prior to 1820. The name died out with Ann's death in 1890. Because of the CAVALLI connection, Italy seems a possibiliy. The name in the USA is associated with Eastern Europe, especially the Ukraine. The Galabin connection gives a French Hugenout possibility. However, I am open to all suggestions especially. As Andrew Francis senior was a mariner, a country with maritime connections seem favourite.

Thank you again for all your suggestions so far.

Sue

project_gal

Postby project_gal » 16 Aug 2009, 05:36

Suanj

Apologies, I forgot to say that Mary Ann's husband actually signed his name MANQUE CAVALLI. As you say that the name is correctly MANGIACAVALLO, I assume that he was at least second generation in the UK. So, perhaps, his parent came to the UK before 1820.

If Andrew Francis junior was born Shadwell c.1801, his father/parents presumably came to the UK in the eighteenth century.

Regards,

Sue

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 21 Aug 2009, 09:48

Hi if this census is abt your ancestor, well he lived with Andrew Sirk( Sirko ) grandson and the birthplace- in this census- is not Shadwell

1851 England Census
about Andrew Sirk
Name: Andrew Sirk
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1801
Relation: Head
Where born: St Georges in The East

Civil parish: Southwark St Olave
County/Island: Surrey

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View image

Registration district: St Olave Southwark
Sub-registration district: St Olave
ED, institution, or vessel: 1c
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 41
Household Members: Name Age
Andrew Sirk 50
Andrew Sirk 10 born in St Andrews; Holborn I believe that this Andrew could be Andrew Mangiacavalli/Cavalli
Births Jun 1840
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cavalli Andrew Francis Holborn 2 139

[hr]

Marriages Dec 1860 (>99%)

Cavalli Andrew Francis Mangia St Luke 1b 835

what you think?
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”