Olliso--name changed from Aliseo, possibly

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
suz1154
Rookie
Rookie

Olliso--name changed from Aliseo, possibly

Postby suz1154 » 20 Aug 2009, 21:08

Hello. I'm a newbie...both to this site and to genealogy in general. My husband, on his father's side of the family, is Italian. Actually, Sicilian. Nobody in his family ever talked much about their roots on either side. What we've heard about our Sicilian ancestors, is that they came to America from Palermo. Their surname was changed after they came to America by either great grandfather or grandfather, or both. It is now Olliso. They supposedly arrived in America by way of New Orleans, but I have not been able to find a passenger list for our grandfather or great grandfather. According to the 1920 census Grandfather arrived in 1901.

I was able to find both a marriage license application and a passenger list for Antonina Rosa Aliseo. The passenger list notes that she was going to meet up with her father Aliseo Francesco, and her marriage license was signed (she was under age, giving her permission to marry) by Francesco Olliso. That, along with a couple other documents referring to Francesco Aliseo or Olliso is how I've determined that the family name was most likely Aliseo before it was changed.

I would like any advice on how to verify the Olliso/Aliseo connection. Or is that enough verification? Also, I would like any help or advice on how to go about tracing the family back any further, when going to Sicily or hiring a professional genealogist is not within my budget. I have paid to join an on-line ancestry site (for a while), but there is very little Italian/Sicilian information on the site to go back any farther.

One last thing. Our grandfather Olliso's name was Sam and his father's name was Frank. I believe their names before changing were Francesco (Frank) Aliseo born in Bollorosa, Carttanosetta, Italy and Augentino Salvatore (Sam) Aliseo born in Vonpieta, Palermo, Sicily. Francesco was married to Rosa Agnella (not sure if this surname is correct) and Sam married Rosa Saso after coming to the U.S. She was born in Trabia, Palermo, Sicily. Sam also had a brother whose Americanized name was Joe or Joseph and three sisters: Rosa (Antonina Rosa), Mary and Maggie (Maria and Michela). Rosa married Calogero Dangelo, Maggie married Joe Distefano, and Mary married Thomas Spirello. If there happens to be any one out there that belongs to the same family line, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks...Sue

vj
Master
Master

Re: Olliso--name changed from Aliseo, possibly

Postby vj » 20 Aug 2009, 21:51

Hello Sue :D !
We'll be happy to see what we can do to help.
Here's a possible 1906 manifest for Rosa & her daughters joining husband Francesco in Kansas
Valarie

Names are lined-off (did not sail)
Does this record belong to your family?

1906 manifest

2 May 1906, SS Gerty, Palermo to NY
lines 25-28

Rosa Anello 42 (abt 1863)
- last residence Bompietro (Bompietro (Sicilian: Bompietru), Province of Palermo, Sicily)
- destination Spencer Kansas
- joining husband Francesco Aliseo

Antonina Aliseo 16 (abt 1889)
Maria Aliseo 14 (abt 1891)
Michela Aliseo 11 (abt 1894)

Romano1970
Master
Master

Postby Romano1970 » 20 Aug 2009, 22:06

You might also want to try a website

Stevemorse.org

It has information from all arrival points in the united states
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Aug 2009, 22:09

There is an oddity with the Aliseo surname. There is an archdiocese of Aliseo but no town or frazione of a town named Aliseo nor is there a listing of the name Aliseo in the Italian surname dictionary making it a local surname or a name imported from abroad and itallianized.
In any event may I suggest you read the following website to bring you up to par with italiangenealogy so we can trace back your surname.

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html and then whenyou feel ready get back to us. =Peter=
~Peter~

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 20 Aug 2009, 22:10

suz1154 wrote:... I would like any help or advice on how to go about tracing the family back any further, when going to Sicily or hiring a professional genealogist is not within my budget. I have paid to join an on-line ancestry site (for a while), but there is very little Italian/Sicilian information on the site to go back any farther...

For anyone born in Bompietro (if the 1906 manifest last residence is also a birth location):

edit: added
Sam Olliso's 1917 WWI Card
confirms birth location as Bompietro
---

Research in Bompietro by writing to the comune (there's no charge):

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Address:

Comune di Bompietro
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Rimembranze
90020 Bompietro PA
ITALY
http://www.tuttitalia.it/sicilia/28-bompietro/
---

Website for finding comune addresses:
http://www.nonsolocap.it/
===

For Bompietro, you could also review your family’s records on microfilm.

Your nearest Family History Center has records for Bompietro on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.

Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

film notes for Bompietro
Topic:
Italy, Palermo, Bompietro - Civil registration
Titles:
Registri dello stato civile, 1820-1910 Bompietro (Palermo).
Ufficio dello stato civile
---

In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center

A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---

Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 20 Aug 2009, 22:22

Maria and Michela Aliseo traveling with cousins(?) La Rosa & Saso to join father Francesco Aliseo in Kansas

10 Aug 1910 manifest

edit: added detail

10 Aug 1906, SS Italia, Palermo to NY
lines 7-10

Sebastiano La Rosa 32
- married
- joining uncle Francesco Aliseo
Nicasio Saso 22
- single
- joining uncle Francesco Aliseo
Maria Va (Vincenza?) Aliseo 13
- possible naturalization notation
- last residence Trabia
- destination Kansas City MO
- joining father Francesco Aliseo
Michela Aliseo 11
- joining father Francesco Aliseo
---

edit: added special inquiry page

Hard to read 1906 Special Inquiry page
Lines 13-14
- Held for 7 days as LPC (likely public charge)
- Released 8/17
---

explanation of manifest markings (line offs & special inquiry):
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/left/

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Aug 2009, 22:30

Dear Val thanks for the clarification. I suspect the Olliso surname is a mispelling which should show up as she progresses back to the earlier records. =Peter=
~Peter~

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 20 Aug 2009, 22:37

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Val thanks for the clarification. I suspect the Olliso surname is a mispelling which should show up as she progresses back to the earlier records. =Peter=

Hello Peter :D !
I agree the Italian records should clear things up.
Valarie

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 20 Aug 2009, 23:26

suz1154 wrote:... They supposedly arrived in America by way of New Orleans, but I have not been able to find a passenger list for our grandfather or great grandfather. According to the 1920 census Grandfather arrived in 1901...

Do you have g-grandfather Frank's and/or grandfather Sam's naturalization paperwork?
Their Petition for Naturalization (if after 1906) should have their arrival information.
Valarie

suz1154
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suz1154 » 21 Aug 2009, 15:21

Thank you, everybody, for all the suggestions. It will take me a while to read and research them all. I had seen the August 10, 1910 manifest with Maria and Michela sailing with Nicasio, but I had overlooked Sebastiano La Rosa. Nicasio is Rosa Saso's brother. Rosa was married to Sam (our grandfather). We had been told, from my husband's father (Sam's son) that the name was changed. He said that the Americans called them Alice, and they didn't like it so they changed the name. But again I'm not sure if that was Great Grandfather Frank or Grandfather Sam or both who supposedly changed it. So the name, Aliceo also kind of goes along with that story. I will take all your suggestions and research some more. I'm sure I will probably have more questions. Thanks again for all your help! It is greatly appreciated.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 21 Aug 2009, 15:29

There are 13 listed in the social security death index for the USA at www.familysearch.org with the OLLISO spelling. =Peter=
~Peter~

suz1154
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suz1154 » 21 Aug 2009, 15:46

Oh, a couple things I forgot...yes, I have found g-grandfather Frank's naturalization papers, but for the date of arrival, and I think (I don't have them here at work with me) for the ship name, it says "Doesn't remember." Also, his citizenship was denied because he couldn't read or write. I haven't been able to find grandfather Sam's naturalization papers yet. Also, my father-in-law (Sam's son) has always said his dad came to the U.S. through New Orleans, but I haven't been able to find his manifest. Also, I'm not sure if he and his father Frank came together or separetly. I've also heard that they followed the railroad to the Kansas area, and according to several censuses Frank was employed by the railroad. So I don't know if that could be a hint that maybe Frank and Sam arrived together or not. Thanks again.

emiliopp

Postby emiliopp » 15 Sep 2009, 14:08

I live in Sicily and I try to correct your names.

Bollorosa, Carttanosetta, Italy
perhaps
Villarosa, Caltanissetta, Italy
( in our days Villarosa is in the Enna county)

Vonpieta, Palermo, Sicily
is
Bompietro, Palermo, Sicily

Trabia is Ok

Agnella is Agnello ( the italian word for "lamb")

We write D'Angelo not Dangelo (like von or mac...)

Trabia is ok.

In italian telephone public list there is no Aliseo in Bompietro (Bompietro is a small village)
But there is some Aliseo in Palermo and in Polizzi Generosa (near Bompietro).
There are also three Saso in Trabia.
try
www.1254.it and fill the field "Cognome o Azienda" with Aliseo
and localita with "Polizzi generosa"

Emilio

suz1154
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suz1154 » 15 Sep 2009, 14:50

Thank you so very much for the corrections.

suz1154
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suz1154 » 22 Oct 2009, 15:40

Thanks to the edits/additions. I hadn't stopped by for a while...had been working on another branch of our tree. I really do appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks again.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”