Stopani

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
14 posts • Page 1 of 1

Stopani

Postby Mercury » 23 Aug 2009, 14:03

My g g g grandfather John (presumably Giovanni) Stopani left Italy in the late 1700's and settled in Scotland. He came from the Lombardy area of Italy. I am very keen to learn about the family prior to 1800 and welcome any information. Thank you. 8)
Mercury

Re: Stopani

Postby PeterTimber » 23 Aug 2009, 14:26

Immediately available is Andrew and Charles Stopani 1819 and 1823, in St. Nichiolas, Aberdeen, Scotland. www.familysearch.org and put in Stopani.

There are several websites that you may be aware of..or not. www.scotsitalian.com
www.nas.gov.uk/guides/emigration.asp
www.anglo-italianfhs.org.uk/links
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
www.ukbmd.org/index.php

Ancestry.com has a list of UK census collection starrting with 1841 for Scotland.

Get bac k if youneed more assistance with Lombaria records..in Italy you need to know the town of origin in order to trace the Stopani easily but not knowing will make life a bit more difficult..=Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby Mercury » 23 Aug 2009, 14:43

Thanks Peter for your reply.
I am aware of all the sites you mention but it is pre 1800 info that I am looking for.
I am led to believe that they originated in Lecco but cannot be one hundred percent certain.
I do know that the use of one 'p' in the surname is very rare compared with the double 'p'.
Any help you can give with this would be most welcome.
Mercury

Postby PeterTimber » 23 Aug 2009, 14:55

There is a STOPANI listed in Piemonte on the border with Lomabrdia. Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Stopani in the first line and Piemonte in the second line and click CERCA for the one entry. His name,address and telephone number will come up.

You may wish to write to Walter Stopani with a potential letter to a posible relative in Italy at www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/sa ... etter.html

Should he be related (I think so!) to you and your ancestor then you can write for documents should civil records exist for his town of origin in Italy. Civil records for Northern parts of Italy which were uinder foreign domination were spotty while those areas of Italy occupied by Napoleon instituted Civil Service and records in the southern portion of Italy.

Please let us know the outcome of your communication with Mr Walter Stopani. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby suanj » 23 Aug 2009, 15:25

most probably, in italian spelling, the risht surname is STOPPANI; Stopani is a wrong version very rare...
The Como area as birth place is very probable also; Lecco in the past was in Como province....
without more infos it is hard to have a idea of birth town... no mother name...
if this record is right:
STOPANI, JOHN Scotland, fl.1824-50, OIM PHIM Stick Barometer = X; Wheel Barometers = X, Christie-SK 11/27/86, Phillips 8/12/87. the barometers are signed "J. Stopani" or "J. Stopani Aberdeen." 38 North Street (1824-25); 42 Queen Street (1827-40); 44 Queen Street (1841-43);68 Broad Street (1844-50); all in Aberdeen.

http://historydb.adlerplanetarium.org/signatures/s.pl
well if this info is right, abt the barometer, sure Como area is very probable place of birth... because is very pertaining...
on the marriage act ( spouse: Christina Duncan) what are the Giovanni's parent names???
maybe the mother surname could be helpful for to understand the birth common....
it are availables on line the civil records in Como area ( 1866-1929), but no helpful for you because Giovanni was born around 1789....
also it are "Christenings in Como area from 1830 to 1866 "
http://www.centrorusca.it/bancaDatiBattesimi.htm
and not helpful also....
so .. only ... if you search better in Scotland, any helpful info... we can advice you, better, for the search in Italy....
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby Mercury » 23 Aug 2009, 16:16

Thanks suanj.
Yes the info you quote about the barometers is correct and where he settled is correct.
I have no idea of mother or father's name. The story goes that he fled Italy to avoid conscription into Napoleon's army so it is conceivable that the original name was one 'p' but I doubt it.
There is a large Stopani (with one 'p') tomb in the Cimitero Monumentale in Milan, but try as I might, I cannot find out who is interred within nor when it was erected!
Mercury

Postby Mercury » 23 Aug 2009, 16:21

Thanks Peter
I will let you know how I get on with contacting Walter.
Mercury

Postby PeterTimber » 23 Aug 2009, 16:29

As I suspected might be the case, civil records start in Lecco in 1866 and go to 1929. So perhaps Walter Stopani may come to the rescue as it were. =peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby Maire » 03 Oct 2009, 07:26

My Great Great Grandfather Antonio Barazzoni was a friend and business associate of John Stopani in Aberdeen. Antonio was born in Como. His brother was in the Austrian army, Como being part of the Austrian Empire. Antonio married in Scotland in 1830. John Stopani was sponsor at the baptism of my Great Grandmother Esther Barazzoni in 1839. In 1841 Antonio B and John Stopani were both in Queen Street. Mine worked in optical glass and was associated with barometer making.
Maire

Postby Maire » 03 Oct 2009, 07:48

from your family history, do you know how the Aberdeen and Sheffield Stopanis are linked? And is there any link you know of with the name Alberte? (apart from being barometer makers) Just wondered because I know of an item with the two names. Handwritten description says John Stopani 24th August 1854.
Maire

Postby Mercury » 03 Oct 2009, 16:07

Interesting. I will email you privately.
Mercury

Postby lindamacky » 14 Jul 2013, 22:08

I know this post hasn't been commented on in four years, but my grandfather Ronald Leiper was Esther Barazzoni's great-grandchild. As far as I know, Esther lived in Belmont Street and also Skene Street for a large amount of her life. I also have managed to trace further back to her grandparents, Antonio Barazzoni, who arrived from Como in late 18th century/early 19th. Right now I'm looking for any information about Esther Barazzoni, as we've lost track of a huge amount of family over the years. She had around seven children, and everyone's lost touch over the years. If anyone could get in touch with any information, that would be great.

Thanks,

Linda
lindamacky

Postby Maire » 15 Jul 2013, 13:11

Great to get your comment. I have quite a lot of info. My Grandfather was Esther's youngest son Alexander. Will pm you.
Maire
Maire

Postby HilaryB » 28 May 2014, 18:11

Antonio Barazzoni was my 3rd great grandfather! Just found this website so delighted to find you both - shall PM you directly!

I found Stopani's obituary recently - if that's of interest.
HilaryB

14 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy