Help to find Taranto's in Salina,Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Tashy

Help to find Taranto's in Salina,Sicily

Postby Tashy » 26 Aug 2009, 02:19

Hello, I have started enquiring about my ancestory and wish to find family members in sicily. I hope to travel there in search of relatives. My Nona Guiesippina Taranto and Nono FeliceTaranto (I think) he died in Australia around 1975 and they came to Australia around 1950's they were born in the 1920's maybe my Nono a little earlier. I also have a Great Uncles (Nona's brothers) Emanual, Giovanni, Dominic,Rapheal and Angelo Taranto The first 3 migrated to Australia but I have been old the last 2 remaind in Malfa. My Uncle believe the family still has relatives in Malfa in Salina. I would like to hear from anybody who could help with any information. Thank you Tashy.

nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: Help to find Taranto's in Salina,Sicily

Postby nazca » 26 Aug 2009, 16:06

Hi Tashy, welcome to the forum.

i spend my holydays in Salina (beautiful) Island this month. Try to send a mail to civil records office:
anagrafe@comune.santa-marina-salina.me.it

or try to send a letter to

Ufficio Anagrafe
Comune Di S.Maria Salina
Via Risorgimento,
98050 Santa Marina Salina (ME)
Sicilia - Italia

I think they was able to read english because Salina if full of tourist from all the world and i heard some people who have relatives in Australia.
take a look to this site (there's an english version) :
http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/ita/comun ... alina.html
i found only one Taranto family in S. M. Salina :

Taranto Maria Concetta
Via Sanita', 34
98050 Santa Marina Salina (ME) -

Good luck
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).

Tashy

Postby Tashy » 28 Aug 2009, 07:09

Hi nazca, Thank you so much for this information. I just sent a email to anagrafe@commune I hope I get a reply. Do you think writing a letter to the Taranto you found in Salina would be a wise move. Is there a danger in people taking advantage of you. Or maybe it will freak Maria Concetta out I'm not even sure we are related. How does one approach these matters. Have you had any experiences you could share? Tashy

nazca
Elite
Elite

Postby nazca » 31 Aug 2009, 12:25

Hi Tashy,

as soon you have news from salina and you have names and date of your relatives you can try to write a letter to Maria Concetta. Some people are happy to find relatives in other States , some people are indifferent. Several years ago i wrote a letter to all Genualdi families living in Chicago (20 families) : only one answered to me to tell me they don't have news for me....
I think to try is better, maybe they answer. i don't know how old is her or if she is able to read english but if she want answer to you she'll find the way....

good luck
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).

Return to “Italian Genealogy”