Italians in Canada

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Essgee
Master
Master

Italians in Canada

Postby Essgee » 01 Sep 2009, 15:03

Just to let you know. Because of some legal issues, Ancestry.com does not, at the present, have access to Drouin. The Quebec Vital records that we used to look up births, marriages, and deaths is not available at all.

The lawyers are into it, but as of now, I think the LABS at Family Search has them, but no index.

This is horrible...I have a number of records on my shoebox which were waiting to be copied and they are not available. UGG.

Don't know when this will be resolved. Needless to say, a lot of Italians are in those records.

Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Italians in Canada

Postby Essgee » 01 Sep 2009, 15:28

After the call to Ancestry that resulted in nothing much, I went on the Internet and found the problem.

Ancestry was obligated to index everything before placing it on line. For those of us who use it a lot, many parish records haven't been indexed...some years missing.

Since they contracted to do this, Ancestry needs to get this done before the records will again be on line.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 20 Sep 2009, 14:32

Hi Essgee :D !
In case you missed the announcement, the collection will be back online tomorrow.
Valarie

Ancestry blog

Drouin Update
Posted by Chad Milliner September 18, 2009

We are pleased to have resolved all issues relating to our use and access to the Drouin Collection. The existing Drouin collection will be available on Ancestry. com (and other Ancestry international properties) on Monday, September 21.

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 25 Sep 2009, 22:01

Thanks VJ....sort of tripped into it myself, but appreciate the heads up just in case.

Also, Ancestry has just added the records of Pavia, Lombardy to their data base...up to 1936. Someone is going to be lucky to have access....

Now if it had been just my comune they posted, I would have to be peeled off the ceiling from all the excitement! Sometime in the future, no doubt.

Have a great one!

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 25 Sep 2009, 22:21

I hope their indexing is better than the indexes for Mexican records. Huge sections are not complete and yet they are online in Ancestry. Some of the indexers have comments such as "nuts" or "no such luck" where information should be. I think some of those who review the work before having it posted are not doing their job. I hope the Canadian records are better.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 26 Sep 2009, 13:14

Morning,

Actually, the major problems with the French Records was that the indexing was not complete and not accurate.

The margins of these records identify the individual. So if M. Mercier was listed in the margin or even just Mercier, they indexed it as such. They didn't go to the text and pull of the full names. In some cases, the texts were hard to read because of the age of the record or the handwriting.

However, the biggest problem was that the indexing was done oversees by the Chinese. Your situation might be similar. The fight over the indexing was that they were incomplete, inaccurate in many places, or plain missing...or that they looked like gobbly gook when the names were butchered.

In the French records, we probably shouldn't be paying for less then accurate indexing. But access to the records themselves from home was a huge advantage and even a less then stellar index was better then none in many circumstances. Each year is already indexed at the end of that timetable, so getting in the ball park was important.

This outsourcing of the indexing might explain your complaint as well.

We all want accuracy, but I want access as well. I think Ancestry needs to raise their standards. I think we need to make sure what we state is accurate, double check the actual records rather then just relying on the index.

I hope the cost of correcting the problem with Drouin was sufficient enough to make Ancestry do a better job. I know of many people who sided with Drouin and felt the records being pulled was a good thing. It was noted, however, that it would take an additional number of years to get the records indexed to 99% accuracy meaning that they would be unaccessible at all until that time...years of no access for many.

So you choose your poison as it were...record access now but incomplete or access later after I have died waiting for them online! I know my answer...as I am getting to feel more and more like an ancestor myself!

Have a great day Lilbees...

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 26 Sep 2009, 13:47

Thank you for your wonderful thoughts. I agree with your final choice and the reasons.

Thanks again,
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

Return to “Italian Genealogy”