how to start

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LindaAnn

how to start

Postby LindaAnn » 07 Sep 2009, 21:55

I have a copy of my great grandfather's birth certificate. His name was Salvatore Musico. He was born January 21, 1886 in Oppido Mammertina to Salvatore Musico and Annunciata Fotia. I am not sure if I am spelling his mom's name correctly it is hard to read the fancy handwriting. How do I start to find out info on his parents? Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
Linda Ann Thompson

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: how to start

Postby PeterTimber » 07 Sep 2009, 22:26

Easy enough...You can request a Family Certificate showing the date and place of birth of each member of the family by going to the following website.
www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html which are in english and translated into Italian and mail your request(s) to the Ufficio di Stato Civile, Comune di Oppido Mamertina, Corso Luigi Razze 2, 84014, (RC) Calabria. There is no charge! What other information are you seeking about the parents?

You can also vist the town at www.tuttitalia.it/calabria/51-oppido-mamertina

You can aslo see the tourist portion by clicking onthe www midway down the page. =Peter=
~Peter~

LindaAnn

Postby LindaAnn » 08 Sep 2009, 01:32

Thank you so much! I've been reading other posts and just wandering around the internet seeing what is available. I'm pretty much working on learning about my greatgrandparents family on my dad's side right now.
Thanks again. Looking to learn whatever I can.
Linda Ann Thompson

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 08 Sep 2009, 02:01

The civil records of Oppido Mamertina 1809-1910 have been microfilmed by the Church of Latter Day Saints (LDS). Included are birth (Nati), death (Morti), marriage (Matrimoni and Processetti), and miscellaneous (Diversi) records. To view the film details go to www.familysearch.org, follow the links Library>LibraryCatalog>PlaceSearch, then type in Oppido Mamertina. These films can be rented and viewed at the Family History Centers (FHC) operated by the LDS throughout the world. You can locate the FHC nearest to you at the above website. The records are in Italian (of course), but it is quite easy to learn how to read the records. Two good sources are Italian Genealogical Records by Trafford Cole and The Genealogist's Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson. If you decide to research the civil records, pay particular attention to the processetti. These are records that a betrothed couple had to submit to the town prior to marriage, which records included their birth records and possibly their parents/grandparents death records. Incredibly valuable!
John Armellino

Return to “Italian Genealogy”