Italy: Only "Signori" used for comune letter requ

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Italy: Only "Signori" used for comune letter requ

Postby taxi55 » 08 Sep 2009, 16:06

Hi All - quick question:

Is it appropriate to address only Egregi "Signori" when sending a request for vital records to the comune? Are female business workers not addressed in communications? I did not want to offend anyone. (I know how irked I get when I receive business letters in my office addressed to Dear "Sir", but realize Italy might still be different.)

Thanks!
Sophia
Looking for family history in: Baiano, Avella, Stigliano and Craco.
Names researching: Acierno, Rienzi, Guariglia, Cantasano, Mormando, Benedetto, Seccafico, Napolitano, Belladoni, Fiordilisi.

scandinavianancestry

Re: Italy: Only "Signori" used for comune letter

Postby scandinavianancestry » 10 Sep 2009, 18:33

Hi Sophia!

Egregi Signori should be sufficient if you don't know the gender of the director. It's directed to 'whom it might concern' if you write it that way. Gentile Direttrice if you know it's a woman. I'm pretty sure you could find out who's doing what in the comune by finding their website.

Good luck!

Susanna

taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Postby taxi55 » 10 Sep 2009, 18:48

Perfect -thanks Susanna!!!

Enjoy your day!
Sophia
Names researching: Acierno, Rienzi, Guariglia, Cantasano, Mormando, Benedetto, Seccafico, Napolitano, Belladoni, Fiordilisi.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Sep 2009, 20:25

Dear Sophia when Mr Fayol the mining engineer set up modern day Bureaucracy for Napoleon he never envisioned any distinctions between male or female in the administration of French government business in France and the empire as well. Processes were tobe be received, acted upon and concluded by nameless,faceless civil servants much like the english Clerk system during the English industrial revolution. This faceless,nameless system extended itself to the modern day save for the USA where gender seems to become the order of the day.

Normally Italian Directress female names are furnished at the provincial level and at the comunal level which can be found if you look closely at the various websites for these female "heads of" governmental units. =Peter=
~Peter~

scandinavianancestry

Postby scandinavianancestry » 10 Sep 2009, 22:36

Hi Sophia! You're welcome. I'm sure you'll be treated well if you write a nice letter.

Peter, thanks for filling in on the issue. So true. I couldn't have said it better myself!

:D

taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Postby taxi55 » 12 Sep 2009, 15:29

Thank you Peter. Always a pleasure to learn from your insight and extended knowledge-base!

Have a great weekend!
Sophia

Return to “Italian Genealogy”