Jaconelli, Jakonelli & Jacornelli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Phryxe

Jaconelli, Jakonelli & Jacornelli

Postby Phryxe » 10 Sep 2009, 08:02

I have registered some Italians in Sweden at WikiTree (beta) and as I don't know italian I have some questions about spelling.

Me, swedish authorities and transcribers of records have trouble getting foreign names right. Should all Jakonelli & Jacornelli really be written Jaconelli, or could they be spelled like that?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Jaconelli, Jakonelli & Jacornelli

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Sep 2009, 12:09

Iaconelli is the more likely spelling since the letter J pronounced I is no longer used in Italian language.. It once was used as a double I to distiguish Tempi=Times or Tempi=Temples. It is now replaced with a circumflex (One of those little tents over the letter I) as rthe old practice was to write Tempj. =Peter=
~Peter~

Phryxe

Postby Phryxe » 10 Sep 2009, 12:47

Ohh, I see. There is alot to learn. Thanks.

I guess there is no spelling of the name with k or r either!?

I suppose then that the names Jacopucci = Iacopucci, Janco = Ianco & Jori = Iori ...

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Sep 2009, 12:55

K is not part of the Italian Alphabet while R is part of the Italian alphabet. It is becoming fashionable among the Young UU's(unhappy unmarrieds) to use K in place for the Italian word "CHE"(who,whom,which.what,when).=Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”