Surname Polli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Julieva

Surname Polli

Postby Julieva » 12 Sep 2009, 11:34

I am a new member to this site and am looking to trace my ancestors. My great grandfather Giovanni Polli was born in the piedmont region I think around 1870 but I don't have any documentation to confirm this. He then became a resident in the UK around 1896. I would very much like to know where I can access Italian birth records for this area from and any other information that would help too.

Many thanks
Julie

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname Polli

Postby suanj » 12 Sep 2009, 13:34

a Giovanni Polli came in UK in 1895:
UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
about Giovanni Polli
Name: Giovanni Polli
Birth Date: abt 1865
Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States
Arrival Date: 26 Nov 1895
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ship Name: St Louis
Search Ship Database: View the 'St Louis' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Official Number: 116669

the birthyear is different ...
the marriage record:
Marriages Mar 1901
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Polli Giovanni Knaresborough 9a 167

1901 census:

1901 England Census
about John Polli
Name: John Polli
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Lucy
Where born: Jitiley 5 Yean Foreign Subject Italian Italy

Civil parish: Harrogate
Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke
Town: Harrogate
County/Island: Yorkshire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Knaresborough
Sub-registration district: Harrogate
ED, institution, or vessel: 18
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 64
Household Members: Name Age
John Polli 31
Lucy Polli 22
Ajostoko Polli 10 days

the birth of son:
Births Jun 1901
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POLLI Agostino Vittorio I Knaresbro' 9a 98

maybe by marriage act you can find more abt your ancestor....

1911 census:
POLLI AGOSTINO M 1859 52 Knaresborough Yorkshire West Riding
POLLI IDA F 1879 32 Knaresborough Yorkshire West Riding
POLLI INES F 1898 13 Knaresborough Yorkshire West Riding

also
POLLI GIOVANNNI JULIO GIOSSEPPE M 1870 41 Leeds Yorkshire West Riding
POLLI LOUISA DOYLE F 1877 34 Leeds Yorkshire West Riding
POLLI HENRICO M 1903 8 Leeds Yorkshire West Riding
POLLI EDIE MAUD F 1907 4 Leeds Yorkshire West Riding
POLLI GEORGE EDWARD M 1910 10 MONTHS Leeds Yorkshire West Riding

seeming that Polli Agostino born in 1859 could be related to your Giovanni ( Giovanni Giulio Giuseppe POLLI)
some Polli in UK coimng from Baveno, Gravedona, Verbania... around Como's lake, Italy..
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Julieva

Postby Julieva » 12 Sep 2009, 15:08

Thank you for all the information Suanj, you have been very helpful. I will certainly check out your website. I want to see how far back I can go. I already had some of the information you provided, which I picked up from the census but would like take it further and obtain a birth certificate for Giovanni, which I assume I will need to obtain get from a registry office in Italy?

The family came from the area around Lake Como so I am sure that most of the information is correct. Although I am unsure about how Giovanni Giulio Giuseppe is related, for some reason I have Stephano as his father, married to Angela Perodi, but still haven't any leads for this yet. I vaguely recollect hearing that two generations of Polli's migrated to the UK (Yorkshire) and some of them went back. It could be that Giovanni Giulio Giuseppe is an Uncle.

I really appreciate your help. Many thanks again,
Julie

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 12 Sep 2009, 16:03

yes it is possible that the Agostino Polli sr is no related, but only a coincidence abt same first name of first John's son

In 1901 census, John Polli have only 1 son: Agostino... it is right or I'm wrong?
also in 1911 census I found not John and Lucy but Giovanni and Louisa with children...
I know that many times the censuses are a bit incorrect abt first name, or better, the people changed the first name for some reason and just for some little time....
1911:

POLLI GIOVANNNI JULIO GIOSSEPPE M 1870 41 Leeds Yorkshire West Riding
POLLI LOUISA DOYLE F 1877 34 Leeds Yorkshire West Riding
POLLI HENRICO M 1903 8 Leeds Yorkshire West Riding
POLLI EDIE MAUD F 1907 4 Leeds Yorkshire West Riding
POLLI GEORGE EDWARD M 1910 10 MONTHS Leeds Yorkshire West Riding

appearing not the first child Agostino...
the other birth children:
Sep 1902
Polli Enrico Giuseppe S Knaresbro' 9a 102

Jun 1907
Polli Edith Maud Knaresbro' 9a 97

Sep 1910
POLLI George E Leeds 9b 308

in 1911 census the wife name is Louisa Doyle; well if Giovanni Giulio Giuseppe Polli is YOUR John Polli married in Mar 1901
he married at
Marriages
[url=http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?r=104681906&d=bmd_1250161919]Mar 1901

Doyle Mary Louisa Knaresbro' 9a 167[/url]

and Giovanni Polli:
Marriages Mar 1901

Polli Giovanni Knaresborough 9a 167

so the 1911 census could be correct.....

death of John's wife:
Deaths Sep 1934 Polli Mary L 53 Leeds North 9b 361

regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Julieva

Postby Julieva » 14 Sep 2009, 16:46

Dear Suanj

Thank you for all your information and you were so quick to get it! I am following up on all the names,dates and places you gave me and I agree that to get the marriage cetificate will help and am sure that Agostino (1859) will be Giovanni's brother. Also Giovanni did have another child (1st born) called Agostino, but he had been crossed off the original document in the 1911 census and recorded as 'child who have died'.

Once I have found out more information over here I will probably need more help to trace back further into Italy so have bookmarked your website for future reference.

Kind regards
Julie

stekrueger

Postby stekrueger » 23 Oct 2009, 13:42

Julie,
I am currently researching my great grandfather Bonaventura Polli, from Baveno. He had a brother Leone, and came to America in 1901, first to Pennsylvania then to Michigan. He was born in 1885 and his brother in 1891. Running into a dead end as my grandmother ( his daughter ) is now 92 and her memories are getting a bit hazy. Recently came across a bunch of family pictures from Baveno, with names and other writings and will be pursuing these when i return home from a business trip. Based on the surname, date and location I would assume there is a relation between my great grandfather and yours.

JamesMc

Postby JamesMc » 27 Sep 2010, 10:16

My name is James from Leeds. The Edie Polli mentioned was my mother. The GIOVANNNI Polli was my respective grandfather, and LOUISA Polli was my grandmother. The other 2 mentioned were my uncles. This familiy of polli came from the village of Boleto which is on the shores overlooking Lake Orta. The family after living in Harrogate, settled in Leeds. Most of the family are buried in Killingbeck Catholic Cemetary in East Leeds. I've lots more family information if anyone would like to contact me, I would be more than happy to share. My e-mail address is j_mccormack@hotmail.co.uk
Best Regards James

Julieva

Postby Julieva » 27 Sep 2010, 12:32

James,
I am so excited, Enrico was my Grandfather! His son Giovanni (your cousin and my Uncle John), passed your details on to me earlier in the year and I had intended to contact you, unfortunately I lost my father this year so I have been pre-occupied. My mother is Jacqueline, your cousin. I will contact you on your via your email address, I am on jules1_ltd@yahoo.co.uk. I am also on Ancestry.

Thank you so much for your reply.
Kind Regards
Julie
Julie

KSRattazzi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby KSRattazzi » 24 Jan 2011, 16:40

My grandfather, Attilio Rattazzi, was great friends with an Attilio Poli. Mr. Poli immigrated to Barre, Vermont, with others from Baveno. He later also moved to Kansas City, like my grandfather. I was in contact with someone in Barre who knew Attilio Poli and can try to locate the name/contact information if interested.
Jamie Oswald
oswald.genealogy@gmail.com
Researching surnames Rattazzi, Migliarina and Ferrario in the Novara province of Piedmont.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”