Ok- need help with this one. LOL!! Andrew Trego and Pheeby

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Ok- need help with this one. LOL!! Andrew Trego and Phee

Post by misbris »

The name TRIGO does appear is a small section of Italy near Milan.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html

That might be the original name, but it would be very hard to trace it so long ago in Italy whithout knowing exact names or the original town.

I think your best bet would be searching Civil War records that might have birth info for Andrew. Is there a state or county historical society?

Have you ever attempted to get a birth certificate for Andrew?
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI Jen,

I also agree that you will need to do more research and see how far back you can find USA records, before attempting Italian research. Also as Andrew was born about 1828, you are in a period without USA vital records. Also immigration and passenger records become much sketchier 1828 and earlier.

Suggest:
Find the family on the 1850, 1840 and 1830 census. This will help pin down location.
Search for deeds and wills and naturalization records in the appropriate counties.
Andrew Trego does have a Civil War Pension Record. Order a copy of the pension file from the National Archives (Washington, DC). I don't think the pension files have been filmed to be available anywhere yet. A wealth of information can be found in pension records.

There are alot of Ohio newspapers available. Consider a subscription to ancestry.com, genealogybank.com or newspaperarchive.com

Good luck. Hopefully as you reach the end of your USA research you will find a location in Italy the family came from.

Debbie
jenjen36

Post by jenjen36 »

Thank you very much. I will try all those.