Name difference in two documents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Name difference in two documents

Postby legnoduro » 24 Sep 2009, 02:50

My great-great-grandmother's name, according to my great-grandfathers birth act, is recorded as "di fu Olivieri Annunziata" yet on the Capo Familia that I have her name is recorded as Maria Olivieri. Is Maria a name that was used in place of the name Annunziata? Based on the origin of the name Annunziata it makes sense to me but what document should I rely on?

Joseph

Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Name difference in two documents

Postby Squigy » 24 Sep 2009, 15:36

Are you sure they are the same people? If so, there could be a number of reasons for this. One I think may be possible is, as you said, the origin of the name Annunciata. It's an honorific name derived from Annunciation to Mary, and Maria is how you say Mary in Italian. I think it's likely her proper name is Annunciata, but they probably called her Maria. I noticed on minor documents in my family, they would put on nick names, and American names but, on major documents they would put full Italian names.

legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby legnoduro » 24 Sep 2009, 15:46

I can't determine if this "Capo Familia" document would be considered minor or not. It is on this document that her name appears as Maria. I am having no luck in attaching the document but it has an official seal from Benevento with the mayor's(sindaco) seal affixed.

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 24 Sep 2009, 15:53

legnoduro wrote:I can't determine if this "Capo Familia" document would be considered minor or not. It is on this document that her name appears as Maria. I am having no luck in attaching the document but it has an official seal from Benevento with the mayor's(sindaco) seal affixed.

Isn't the Capo Familia like the US census? If so, I bet they would put Maria on it, as it isn't major. Mine put Andy and Jennie, and other names like that, on the census.

legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby legnoduro » 24 Sep 2009, 15:56

I think you're right. I am trying to find another example from someone else or a blank copy to determine the column headings. Unfortunately the copy I have is very hard to read.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”