Salvatore, Antonio & Francesco Costantino/Teresa Petseni

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Biff83
Master
Master

Salvatore, Antonio & Francesco Costantino/Teresa Petseni

Postby Biff83 » 01 Oct 2009, 22:27

I could use some help. I've had no luck locating ship manifests for the above.

Salvatore Costantino was born in 1857 in Celico, province of Cosenza and emigrated to the US about 1885. Per the Cosenza archives, his parents were Bonaventura Costantino and Maria Caterina Tropea.

His wife Teresa Petsenia??, born in 1863, followed about 1889 with sons Francesco born 1879 and Antonio Costantino born 1885. In 1890 they had another son Bonaventura born in 1890 in Pennsylvania, likely in Carbondale Pennsylvania. Teresa surname is from son Bonaventura's Lackawanna county marriage license and I'm sure is not correct. Without a correct or good possible surname, I've been unable to locate Teresa and sons' ship manifest because sons Francesco and Antonio were likely listed on the manifest under her record without the Costantino surname. I've tried all kinds of variations, sounds like and phonetic searches and come up empty.

I've also tried locating naturalization records for all four of them in the hope that the actual year of immigration and ship name might be on the documents but have found nothing. Perhaps they naturalized previous to 1906 or naturalized under a different surname--Constantino, Costa, Cost. They likely would have naturalized in the Middle District of Pennsylvania.

For Suanj and everyone, do you have guesses what Teresa's surname might have been? She also would have been born in Celico or a neighboring comune in Cosenza.

Below is the 1900 census for reference.

Costantino Family 1900 census

Thanks,
Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

vj
Master
Master

Re: Salvatore, Antonio & Francesco Costantino/Teresa Pet

Postby vj » 01 Oct 2009, 23:05

Hi Biff :D !
No luck (so far)
Even tried the one step search for naturalizations on footnote without success
http://www.stevemorse.org/footnote/footnote.html
Checked the NEHGS NewspaperArchive for Salvatore or Teresa's obituary -nothing.
Tried searching for Salvatore w/o a last name for a manifest, the only likely one was illegible:
Salvatore Cusfino(?)
Archimede
12 Jun 1885
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/7720/1885n.jpg

Maybe better luck tomorrow
Valarie

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 01 Oct 2009, 23:50

Hi, Valarie!!

Thanks for checking. Although I have found the census records through 1930 for all of them as well as the draft cards and Lackawanna county PA marriage records for sons Antonio and Francesco, and some information on the Cosenza archive site for father Salvatore, no luck with the ship manifests although the one you posted is a good possibility. Interestingly, Antonio and Francesco married sisters--Luigina and Nicolina Scarpelli both from Celico. I think the naturalization records are a dead end since I'm pretty sure they naturalized before 1906. For the record Salvatore died 7 Jul 1938 per the Lackawanna county wills index. Not sure about Teresa death year. I think I'll try to find Luigina and Nicolina's ship manifests to see with whom who they were travelling just in case it was a sibling/cousin of Teresa's.

Just wish I could figure out Teresa's correct surname. I've spent a bit of time on the Cosenza archives noodling around the Celico records for potential surnames that sound like Petsenia but no luck so far.

Best,
Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 02 Oct 2009, 07:40

Hi Biff and Val! :D

ages are a bit off but I believe this is the correct manifest....Teresa's lastname was Pizzonia and first name Maria Teresa:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Teresa Pizzonia
Name: Teresa Pizzonia
Arrival Date: 1 Jul 1889
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Italy;United States of America
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian;American (Italian)
Ship Name: Alesia
Search Ship Database: Search the Alesia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 1
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_535
List Number: 875
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

Travelling with her child Francesco age 10 and Antonio age 6...

[img=http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8632/pizzonia1889.th.jpg]

what do you think?
Laura :D

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 02 Oct 2009, 13:38

WOW!
What a great find Laura.
Congratulations :D
Valarie

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 02 Oct 2009, 19:58

Laura,

I believe that's the correct manifest. Antonio's birth date on his WWI Draft card is 17 Oct 1882 and here's a record from the Cosenza archive for him showing his parents:

SIAS Code IT-ASCS-F680258
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1882.Volume number 183,
document number 119 page 214 section b
Antonio Costantini, enlisted on --/--/----
born on 17/10/1882 to CELICO
son/daughter of Salvatore Costantini and of Teresa Pizzonia

Grazie mille,
Biff

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 03 Oct 2009, 06:29

Prego Biff!!! :D

sempre felice di aiutare!

Laura

lucapizzonia

Postby lucapizzonia » 22 Mar 2010, 10:42

Ciao a tutti,
mi date una mano a rintracciare eventuali parenti?
Grazie

Hi to everyone,
would you help me to retrieve my relatives?
Thanks

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 22 Mar 2010, 14:58

Luca,

We'd be happy to help. Can you give us the names, years of birth, town of birth, and where they emigrated and lived?

Biff

wehula

Postby wehula » 22 Mar 2010, 17:04

I believe I am the granddaughter of Francesco Costantino, Carbondale, PA. as all the information that you posted seems to be related to him. I, unfortunately, started looking into my "history" after all people with information passed away. My father, deceased, was the executor of Francesco's estate, and SOMEWHERE in my home, I have Francesco's naturalization papers!!! I have misplaced them, probably put them in a SAFER place, and now I cannot locate them. My husband and I have started traveling to Italy and I have been trying to find where my grandparents came from. I always heard "Calabria" but now realize it is a region, not a town. Can you tell me how you are connected to the Costantino family? Perhaps there is more information that you can share with me? Thank you so much.

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 22 Mar 2010, 17:34

The Francesco Costantino in my tree was the son of Salvatore Costantino and Maria Teresa Pizzonia and was born 22 Oct 1879 in the town of Celico, province of Cosenza, region of Calabria, and died in Nov 1965. He was married to Luigina aka Lucy Scarpelli. Census records show him living on Drummond Avenue and Canaan Street.

Salvatore's grandson Samuel Cost married Rosa Mancuso who was the niece of my paternal grandmother, Fenicia Mancuso Epifano.

If this is your grandfather, send me a PM with your email address and I will send you an invitation to view my family tree on Ancestry.

Biff

Return to “Italian Genealogy”