Lombardo LaMaestra Zumbo Giufre LoMonaco Castiglione Di Sic

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Lombardo LaMaestra Zumbo Giufre LoMonaco Castiglione Di Sic

Postby sunlogo » 03 Oct 2009, 13:52

KEY WORDS: Castiglione Di Sicilia, Francavilla, Albany, New York, Lombardo, La Maestra (aka Lamaestra), Zumbo, Giufre, LoMonaco (aka Lomonoco), Scavera, Marino, Frisina, Giosa, Sicily.

First of all, I want to help others not just myself. If you have any questions, please don’t be afraid to ask me. My email address is

1. My ancestors came from Castiglione Di Sicilia. However, there is a strong possibility that my original ancestors came from the adjacent town of Francavilla.
2. My father is Orazio LOMBARDO (DOB 24 Aug 1921). His father is Vincenzo LOMBARDO (DOB 1889). Vincenzo had a bother named Rosario (aka Ross, aka Saro DOB unknown) and a sister named Francesca (DOB unknown).
3. Vincenzo’s father (ie my great grandfather) is Lorenzo LOMBARDO (BOB unknown). He married Concetta SURNAME UNKNOWN. I understand that they used to live in Francavilla.
4. Ellis Island records indicate that in 1911 Vincenzo LOMBARDO (ie my grandfather) went to the USA to be with his brother Rosario LOMBARDO. He gave his USA address as 117 Madison Ave Albany, New York. PROBLEM – a cannot find any record of Rosario arriving in the USA.
5. In about 1912, Vincenzo came back to Castiglione and was married to Grazia La Maestra. In their marriage, they had 5 children (viz Orazio – my father, Filippo, Vincenzo, Lorenzo and Carmela). Carmela married Antonio MARINO.
6. In 1914 (ie shortly after he was married) Vincenzo went back to the USA for about 12 months. The shipping manifest indicates that he went to stay with his brother-in-law, Gaetano SCAVERA at 119 Madison Ave Albany, New York. Gaetano, while married, appears to have made several trips to the US (in 1906 and 1909)
7. Between 1905 and 1920, the address 117-123 Madison Ave, Albany NY appears to have been used as the unofficial Italian Consulate. Many people unrelated to my family gave this address on their arrival card.
8. To complicate matters, a famous Italian restaurant named “Lombardo’sâ€

Re: Lombardo LaMaestra Zumbo Giufre LoMonaco Castiglione Di

Postby margheriteb » 26 Aug 2011, 04:25

Recently dropped in to this site. My grandfather, Rosario (Santo)Giufre', and his brother, Pietro di Rosario Giufre', immigrated to the United States in 1906 from Castiglione di Sicilia. They both married sisters nee Belfiore, Margherite and Carmela. My understanding was that other family members migrated to Australia and South America. The family settled in Illinois where my grandfather worked on the railroad. Later my grandparents ran an Italian grocery.Our name eventually evolved to have two "f's"...Giuffre. Have been involved myself in trying to unravel the puzzles. Relatives live in Francavilla. I have visited the Ponticellos several years ago...don't know if there are maternal or paternal relatives.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”