can someone help identify buttons in this pic?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

can someone help identify buttons in this pic?

Postby vintagegamer » 03 Oct 2009, 19:02

Hello all,

In the pic below, the man is wearing a white button on his lapel, and the woman at the far left is wearing some type of decorative pin on her collar.

Would anyone be able to help in identifying if they are anything other than simply jewelry?

Thanks,

Jim

Webmaster
'Run Squirrel Run!' Italian Heritage Site
www.giusvalla.blogspot.com

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: can someone help identify buttons in this pic?

Postby VaDeb » 03 Oct 2009, 21:25

Have you tried a very high resolution scan of just the are of the pin? Perhaps that will bring out more detail.

I have a similar family photo, with a badge I have tried to identify. Unfortunately it is difficult to scan and bring out detail that is no longer on the original photo. Guess we need some of that fancy software the TV crime shows use to see objects that are not there.

Debbie

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 03 Oct 2009, 23:46

combination of sight and intuition says that it is a patriotic button reflecting the Royal shield of Italy. I will readily admit to error should a blow up prove otherwise. The wife's button struck me immediately. =Peter=
~Peter~

vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vintagegamer » 04 Oct 2009, 23:47

Unfortunately I cannot get a bigger scan of the button because I do not have a copy of the original photo. :(
Webmaster

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Oct 2009, 13:45

I got out my trusty magnifying glass and the image of the button onthe wifes collar appeared to confirm my educated guess . Since Italy was a relatively new nation being found late in the 1860-1870's period, patriotism would be expected. =Peter=
~Peter~

vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vintagegamer » 06 Oct 2009, 15:41

PeterTimber wrote:I got out my trusty magnifying glass and the image of the button onthe wifes collar appeared to confirm my educated guess . Since Italy was a relatively new nation being found late in the 1860-1870's period, patriotism would be expected. =Peter=

Excellent, thanks Peter! Yes, the picture would have been taken somewhere around 1878, so that would definitely make sense.
Webmaster

Return to “Italian Genealogy”