Pulvino family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sorellajamie

Pulvino family

Postby sorellajamie » 09 Oct 2009, 21:23

I'm looking for a great grandfather named Carmelo Pulvino and his wife Antonina Palermo, both born in about 1848. Our records show that they are from Caltanissetta, but I've also heard that they're from Palermo. I don't know for sure. They had many children including Joe, Nina, Pasquale (born on , Frank, Carl, Jim, Margaret. Of these children, at least Pasquale, Carl and Joe were born in Italy. They moved to US in about 1894. Pasquale Pulvino married Maria Forcia (spelling error w/ her last name) in Italy before immigrating to US and had at least 2 children in Italy, Carmelo(1891) and Mike (1898). Can anyone help find anything with these people or help me get started?

sorellajamie

Re: Pulvino family

Postby sorellajamie » 09 Oct 2009, 21:33

Oh and I've checked Ellis island for information, but I have also heard through family members that they came in through canada. :(

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 09 Oct 2009, 22:51

Hi and welcome to the forum, :lol:

This is a possible manifest for a Carmelo Pulvino, 2, travelling with his mother Maria Fulco and brother Antonino. Could it possibly be Pasquale's wife and children?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0280

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 09 Oct 2009, 22:56

To help you get started so that you can become familiar with Italian Genealogy and be in a better position tomake inquiries that will enable us to answer intelligently for you.
www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html

=Peter=
~Peter~

sorellajamie

Postby sorellajamie » 10 Oct 2009, 03:19

I've questioned every family member who's still alive, but information is so sketchy. In one marriage document of Maria Forcia's son, Mike Pulvino, it says that Maria's name is Mary Fourkes. I have at least 7 variations on what her name was. I'm pretty sure that Forcia is not her last name considering that on gens.labo.net there are no Forcia's in italy at all.

In regards to misbris, I have several questions... First of all, is it common for immigrants to provide their maiden names on the manifests even though they're married? I have from interviews that Maria Forcia's oldest child is Carmelo born in 1891 or 1892. However, the second child was Antonina a girl and supposedly she was born on her way over on the ocean in 1893 or 1894. Would it be possible that the people writting the manifests not only messed up on the name, but the gender too? And also, it looks like it says the age of "Antonino" on the document is 4? Could that be 4 months or something? I know that typically the children are listed in order of age on the manifests, so it seems strange to me. What do you think?

Michael31
Master
Master

Postby Michael31 » 10 Oct 2009, 03:55

on ellis island Manifest on line above Carmelo Pulvino is Maria FULCO
www.paginebianche.it
cognome: Pulvino dove: CL or 93014
cognome: Fulco dove: CL or 93018

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 10 Oct 2009, 06:19

Pink67 wrote:is it common for immigrants to provide their maiden names on the manifests even though they're married

It's normal, because here in Italy Women even if married retain their maiden name for all their lifes....

Laura :)

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 10 Oct 2009, 11:31

Hi,
maybe if you can provide more details it will better for the search...
a birth record:
[hr]
Michael Carmen Pulvino Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 15 JAN 1898 Buffalo, Erie, New York

Christening:
Death: 12 JUL 1987

Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: Pasquale Pulvino
Mother: Maria Forcia

[hr]
more:
Pasquale Pulvino Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: About 1875 Of, Buffalo, Erie, New York

Christening:
Death: 01 MAR 1952 Hamlett Of, Garbutt, Monroe, New York

Burial:

Parents:
Father: Carmello Pulvino Family
Mother: Nina Parlomo
[hr]
1900 census ???

1900 United States Federal Census
about Pasquale Polvino
Name: Pasquale Polvino
Home in 1900: Rochester Ward 9, Monroe, New York
Birth Date: Sep 1866
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1892
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Mary
Marriage year: 1888
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 12
Residence : Rochester City, Monroe, New York
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Pasquale Polvino 33
Mary Polvino 25 b. sep 1874 Italy; imm. 1892
Carmelo Polvino 8 b. jul 1891 Italy
Michael Polvino 2 b. dec 1897 NY
Antonino Polvino 6
female: Antonina; b. apr. 1894 NY

1910 census??
1910 United States Federal Census
about Pasquale Pulvino
Name: Pasquale Pulvino
Age in 1910: 43
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Mary
Home in 1910: Rochester Ward 1, Monroe, New York
Year of Immigration: 1893 Neighbors: View others on page
Pasquale Pulvino 43
Mary Pulvino 43
Annie Pulvino 19 ( born in Italy; she must be Antonina)
Michael Pulvino 13
Mary D Pulvino 11
Elizabeth Pulvino 2
Josie Pulvino 5
Marquerite Pulvino 1 10/12

11 children born, 7 living; Pasquale naturalized and working in retail merchant-groceries

1920?

1920 United States Federal Census
about Pasquale Pulvino
Name: Pasquale Pulvino
Home in 1920: Wheatland, Monroe, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Birthplace: Sicily
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Margaret
Father's Birth Place: Sicily
Mother's Birth Place: Sicily

Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1890
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 573
Neighbors: View others on page
Pasquale Pulvino 54
Margaret Pulvino 50
Joseph Pulvino 14
Elizabeth Pulvino 12
Margaret Pulvino 11
James Pulvino 7

Matt Knezevich 28

Mary now is Margaret; Pasquale profession: merchant-grocery store; Margaret/Mary naturalized also

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 10 Oct 2009, 12:43

it are several articles on this webiste abt Pasquale Pulvino in rochester ( IF is your right ancestor)
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 10 Oct 2009, 14:55

As Laura said, she would have travelled under her maiden name. It is important to determine the correct records because there are 2 or 3 Pasquale Pulvinos. Did thy immigrate to Buffalo, Rochester, or PA?

I checked ship's lists and border crossings, but haven't found Carmelo and Antonina yet. The family may be from Valledolmo.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 10 Oct 2009, 16:22

I agree with you misbris, and I believe that the ship's manifest that you found could be right... also if Antonina is listed as male person .. it could be a simply error...
hugs,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

sorellajamie

Postby sorellajamie » 11 Oct 2009, 04:01

The family of Pasquale & Maria did immigrate to Buffalo and those records are correct that are posted above. My ultimate questions are:

1. what's Maria's real last name, which very well could be Folco as was found by misbris.
2. On the record could the birth year of Antonina (daughter of Maria) also had the age listed wrong? My family members have told me that Antonina was born on the voyage to America from Italy.
3. Where in Italy are they from, which according to that ellisisland record is Valledolmo.
4. Pasquale's parents came over to US, also and I have found no records anywhere for them (Carmelo Pulvino & Antonina Palermo). I heard that they immigrated through Canada. I was reading on Canadian immigration site that they didn't keep records of people that weren't staying in Canada? Does anyone know if that's true?

sorellajamie

Postby sorellajamie » 11 Oct 2009, 04:10

I just talked to my mother-in-law and she said that her dad, Micheal Pulvino was born in Buffalo, but the family (parents: Pasquale and Maria) moved to Monroe, Rochester, NY where they had a grocery store.

sorellajamie

Postby sorellajamie » 11 Oct 2009, 16:03

Thanks to one of the posts on here I got a lead to finding out that my mother-in-law's Grandpa, Pasquale Pulvino, came across through ellis island under the name of Pasguale Pulveno. That spelling has opened a bunch of new doors for me in my research. I've also found out through the newspaper link that was posted here that Pasquale was a bad guy! Many arrests and forfeiting money (I can't blame him though)!

trevisan2
Elite
Elite

Postby trevisan2 » 11 Oct 2009, 22:04

Sorella J,

Your under good hands with the Italian Genealogy.com Forum. We are all here to help.

Italian place names are many times the BIG QUESTION for all of us. Here are some great sites I found on this Forum:

www.nonsolocap.it Click on "Mappa" on the left to see the location.

www.tuttitalia.it Almost the same web site

http://www.tuttitalia.it/sicilia/35-valledolmo/ Link to Valledolmo

These web sites will help make clear the relationship between the Region, Provence, Comune and Frazione.
Italy goes from the smallest place to the largest. The Region is not used as part of the place name. It is more of the geographical area of where the town is located.

www.parrocchie.it A list of all the parishes in Italy

http://www.parrocchie.it/gear/qlist.htm ... d_cognome= A link to Valledolmo parish

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... 1&last=100 Microfilmed records available

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... 1&last=100 Wills & Property

Good Luck! :roll:

Regards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provience of Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO

Surnames Melchiori of Oderzo, TV, Vendrame of TV, Rossi of Rai di San Polo, Bonotto of TV.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”