When can I expect a response to an email to a comune?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Squigy
Master
Master

When can I expect a response to an email to a comune?

Postby Squigy » 16 Oct 2009, 05:06

I sent an email to the comune of Marcianise requesting records on Sept 17, and have not gotten a reply. Is this a normal amount of time, or should I send them another email? I also sent an email to San Mango d'Aquino on Sept 23, and have not gotten a reply to that either.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: When can I expect a response to an email to a comune?

Postby wldspirit » 16 Oct 2009, 11:23

If you have not received a reply within 6 to 8 weeks, send a follow up letter.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 16 Oct 2009, 14:06

The form letter in Italian language for followup when you have not received a response (Italian Law requires that an official respond to a request for information within 30 days of the request).

www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/Da ... tters.html

=Peter=
~Peter~

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 16 Oct 2009, 16:30

Comuni are funny. I have received an answer in as little as 15 days and as long as four months. Right now you are at about the average wait in my opinion. I have found that a follow up is usually necessary when it reaches this point...a phone call best if possible.

While Peter is right that Italian Law requires a response within 30 days you would first need to prove they received the request and unless the letter was sent registered mail, it's not easy to prove. Send the follow up out if you do not hear back with in another week or so and send it registered mail. You will be sure to receive an answer that way (I believe anyways).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 16 Oct 2009, 16:50

I agree with Nuccia that it's still somewhat premature to receive responses from both comunes.

My family is also from San Mango d'Aquino (Epifano/Mendicino/Marasco) and I have received a number of documents from the Stato Civile office over the past couple of years but I have mailed my requests not emailed them. I'd suggest if you do not get the information you requested in your email within the next couple of weeks that you mail your request for records giving as much information as possible, specifically birthdates, to help facilitate the record search by the office. Also include a self addressed return envelope and a copy of your driver's license.

BTW, I also have a number of Fiorillo in-laws in my family tree.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 16 Oct 2009, 18:23

Now since you are talking about sending emails, sometimes I gotten a response the following day, and sometimes a month or two after. it seems like a lot of comunes rather answer to a mailed letter then to respond via
e-mail. i think it depends on who is in charge, if they are more computer savvy or not.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 17 Oct 2009, 04:08

Thank you all for responding. I guess I'll wait a week or two, and then mail a follow up. The forum letter for follow ups says my letter was lost, not email. Does this matter?
My Italian surnames:

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 17 Oct 2009, 14:33

I don't think it matters. I found when emailing sometimes the mail goes to a spam box or it's ignored or lost for real. In any case, send the follow up or just mail a new request by snail mail and forget the email ever happened. Its your choice.

Good luck and let us know which way you go and how it turns out. It may help someone in the future and we're always interested in our friends progress.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 18 Oct 2009, 07:42

Biff83 wrote:BTW, I also have a number of Fiorillo in-laws in my family tree.

Fiorillo seems to be a common name in San Mango d'Aquino. I noticed another poster, Teapot, who had Fiorillo relatives from San Mango. We haven't yet found a relation.
My Italian surnames:

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 18 Oct 2009, 12:36

Here are the Fiorillo's in my tree:

Domenico Fiorillo, born 2 Sep 1901 in San Mango, died Oct 1986 in Scranton Pennsylvania. Married Rosina Epifano, born 30 Nov 1902 in Carbondale Pennnsylvania, died June 1984 in Scranton. Rosina was the daughter of Antonio Epifano and Serafina Mendicino. In 1908 mother Serafina returned to Italy with her children Rosina and Francesco both born in Carbondale. Rosina and Francesco married in San Mango where all their children were born. Domenico and Rosina's children were: Elisa, Francesco, Giovanna, Giuseppe, Giuseppina, Maria, Saveria, Serafina, Carmine and Antonio. Rosina and husband Domenico emigrated to Scranton with some of their children in the late 1950's.

Gaetano Fiorillo, born 8 Oct 1886 in San Mango, died Feb 1977 in San Mango. Husband of Maria Mendicino, sister of Serafina Mendicino mentioned above. One child, Teresina Fiorillo born in San Mango. Maria and Teresina never emigrated and Gaetano who lived in Scranton frequently travelled back to San Mango. He retired to San Mango in the late 1950s.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 18 Oct 2009, 22:19

In my tree I have Vincenzo Fiorillo (He also went by Fiorelli) born Sept 14 1872 in San Mango d'Aquino, married Maria Romito born 1876 also in San Mango. He came here about 1897, leaving his wife and two small children, Raffael and Raffaela. Maria and the children came a good amount of time later immigrating in 1906. They had several more children (the youngest of whom is still living) one of them being my great grandmother Lucy. Lucy was born in the year 1913.

-Squigy
My Italian surnames:

Return to “Italian Genealogy”