Sending money to Italy through mail

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Sending money to Italy through mail

Postby ChrisMosca » 21 Oct 2009, 17:00

what is the best way to send money to italy, I've gotten baptism records from a church in Valle San Nicolao and the Priest gave me the account numbers to do the wire transfer but my bank charges 50.00 dollars and said that they probably will charge the church as well for receiving the wire transfer. Is sending Euros through regular mail safe? do i make sure I wrap the money well with a letter? any advice will be appreciated!!
thanks for the responses!!
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Sending money to Italy through mail

Postby CowryShells » 22 Oct 2009, 00:29

How much have you been asked for? I was asked to wire .30 Euro to cover the cost of photocopying two documents (plus two international reply coupons).
This suggestion worked well for me: I taped a 10 and a 20 cent Euro coin to a card and mailed it in an envelope. I received the documents with no problem.

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 22 Oct 2009, 01:49

He didn't say, I was planning to exchange 50.00 US dollars to Euros and send that in an envelope.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Postby CowryShells » 22 Oct 2009, 02:53

I have no experience with a sum of that size. Sorry!

I'm hoping someone else can advise you.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 22 Oct 2009, 12:38

Sending cash by mail is really the only way. It cost me 5 euro to cash a 100 euro bank draft issued from England and I had to wait almost 6 weeks until they received the money before I got it. The Government here taxes your bank account even when there are no funds in it and no transactions.
Wrap it well and cross your fingers.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby elba » 22 Oct 2009, 13:45

Wrap the notes in a single layer of kitchen foil, this will ensure that any metal strip or box within the bank note will not show up individually on any machine that the post offices may choose to use...

So far - to the best of my knowledge - money sent by people in this manner has always arrived safely...

>This link< shows you where the 'safety' strips are on bank notes - those which the foil will disguise....once open - click to enlarge.

Hope this is what you wanted to know.

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 22 Oct 2009, 16:57

it is thanks everybody for the advice, I will try the foil, thanks!!!!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”