Question on Dante surname and etymology

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nautili

Question on Dante surname and etymology

Post by nautili »

I am interested in finding anyone who might be researching the Dante surname. My grandfather was born in Hawaii to an Italian father (Nautili DANTE) and a Portugese mother (Antonia Cruz). The only document I have been able to find in Hawaii is my grandfather's baptism certificate (no other records: church, vital statistics, census, etc. found). Obviously I am not able to take my research to "Italy" without more to go on.

I am also interested in studying the etymoloy of the Dante name. A colleague from Italy has told me that this name is from a very important family and has a very long history. That Dante is a Latin name which became Durante in Italian. Does anyone know of a resouce (in English?) where I could learn more?

Thanks for your help.
Jon Dante (in Oregon, USA)
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

What is the source of your Baptismal Certificate since one would immediately think it was issed by a religious source. You are quite right in that Dante is derived from Durante. Dante was first documented in the 9th century AD in Central south Italy as Durando and in the northwest of Italy as Durante and Durandus. In the 10th sentury,Durantus andDurante,dantes and Dante. Peter
nautili

Post by nautili »

Hi Peter,

The baptismal certificate is from the Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace in Honolulu. Although he was born in 1903 the certificate was dated 1948 when he apparently sent for a copy from his home in San Francisco (I have a great deal of documentation from S.F. beginning 1920 until his death in 1963). I wrote to the church asking how I might be able to obtain other information on family members (marriages, other births/baptisms, etc.) and they just sent me another copy of the same certificate I already had. Of course assisting people with genealogy research is not their primary function... I thought perhaps my grandfather sent for the certificate to apply for a delayed birth certificate but I could not find such a record.

Peter, I have seen your name everywhere on this web site. I can't imagine how you are able to respond to so many requests for help but I am very grateful for your dedication!

Jon Dante
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Question on Dante surname and etymology

Post by suanj »

nautili wrote:I am interested in finding anyone who might be researching the Dante surname. My grandfather was born in Hawaii to an Italian father (Nautili DANTE) and a Portugese mother (Antonia Cruz). The only document I have been able to find in Hawaii is my grandfather's baptism certificate (no other records: church, vital statistics, census, etc. found). Obviously I am not able to take my research to "Italy" without more to go on.

I am also interested in studying the etymoloy of the Dante name. A colleague from Italy has told me that this name is from a very important family and has a very long history. That Dante is a Latin name which became Durante in Italian. Does anyone know of a resouce (in English?) where I could learn more?

Thanks for your help.
Jon Dante (in Oregon, USA)
Hi:In Italy Dante are surname, but also first name, very usual. Your ancestor Nautili Dante: ...?( In Italy Nautili not is first name, also not is surname... ).
Dante name & surname:
"coming from Latin adjective "durans", in Italian: Durante that it means long-lasting, persevering, faithful. It was a name that had great affirmation in Christian age, above all because it was tied to Christian's principle fidelity and perseverance, to faithful observance of commandments. Durante was abbreviated also in Dante".
Regards, suanj
nautili

Re: Question on Dante surname and etymology

Post by nautili »

Dear suanj,

Thanks for the information. So, I can now try to live up to my name and "persevere" in finding my Dante family history :!:

I appreciate your help!
Jon
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am sure you are familiar with the work of Trafford R. Cole's work Italian genealogical records which will take you far...and is an easy read. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I assist many people with one line referrals to appropriate websites and addresses. I do not conduct reseach and expect people to integrate what I give them into their own research trusting that will take them where they want to go. Aside from cursory checks I do very little research for others hence I am able to move my butt along and feed the many. Peter
nautili

Post by nautili »

While browsing through other people's postings in this forum I saw your mention of Trafford R. Cole's book. I have made a note and will definitely purchase it.

Thanks again from one of "the many" who appreciate your help!
Jon
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Oregon is getting to be a jungian congruence for and italians lately. Keep me posted. peter