Guiseppe REMORINO, Emanuel ANTOLA - an interesting link

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Guiseppe REMORINO, Emanuel ANTOLA - an interesting link

Postby carolinechurch » 28 Oct 2009, 20:19

An interesting link to a murder case from the Old Bailey, London.

It involves someone from my tree, but there were a large number of Italian sailors living in this area of London in the mid 19th century.
Well worth doing a name or an address search, as the information is very detailed if you are lucky enough to find a relevant case!

www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?ref=t18520614-636
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Guiseppe REMORINO, Emanuel ANTOLA - an interesting link

Postby wldspirit » 28 Oct 2009, 20:21

Great link Caroline!! I am always on the hunt for new sites to add to my collection!! :D
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Guiseppe REMORINO, Emanuel ANTOLA - an interesting link

Postby carolinechurch » 28 Oct 2009, 20:56

Whenever I locate a new address I google it. This one was a search for Brown Bear Alley. It's amazing what pops up, I found my Rafaele CIACCIA's son-in-law involved in a murder outside their house.....and all the people are listed in the 1851 census for him.

Another great London link to Charles Booth's poverty studies in London.
Massive amounts of detail, all handwritten in notebooks. Includes searchable street by street walks covering most of London, poor union records, Jewish community records, and maps.
The site takes a bit of time to figure out, but here are links to the 3 main groups of notebooks.

http://booth.lse.ac.uk/static/b/districts.html
http://library-2.lse.ac.uk/archives/pdf ... Union.html
http://library-2.lse.ac.uk/archives/pdf ... books.html
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”