Colacurcio and DeFeo surnames

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
beppa

Colacurcio and DeFeo surnames

Postby beppa » 30 Oct 2009, 23:39

Nunzio DeFeo born about 1883 in Italy, don't know where.

married Govanina Colacurcio jun 13 1907 in BC Canada. she was born nov 1884 in santo stefano del Sole. i found online a luigi colacurcio from same place so he could be her father.

i would like to know where Nunzio was born, when he immigrated to US or Canada. would be a bonus to know of his parents and/or siblings as there were several DeFeo people listed in CDN Census in same area as he lived, but i have no idea if they were related.

if anyone has any idea about these surnames or family, please reply.
or if you can provide some tips they would be most appreciated.

thankyou

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Colacurcio and DeFeo surnames

Postby pink67 » 31 Oct 2009, 13:00

Hi Beppa! :D

Don't know if you already have seen this record... it's a 1902 arrival manifest to the port of Boston from the site Ancestry.com for:

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
about Nunsio Defeo
Name: Nunsio Defeo
Arrival Date: 25 Apr 1902
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Vancouver
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Last Residence: Sstefano Sefole
Microfilm Roll Number: 50

[img=http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6493/defeo1902arrival.th.jpg]

he was 18, single and was joining his father Antonio in NY..

do you know if Nunzio' father did emigrate too?

Laura :D

beppa

Postby beppa » 31 Oct 2009, 20:19

Laura
many thanks for your reply. i am not a member of Ancestry and cannot access a lot of information they offer.

no i did not have this record and thanks for the link to the actual manifest.
i see that Pietro and Pasquale Defeo also travelled at same time. they just may be uncles of Nunzio. The manifest said their destination was New Rochelle NY.

I don't know if his father Antonio immigrated to America but it would seem so. Do you know if Antonio could be long form for Nunzio or Nuntio?

I did find two Nunzio Defeo immigrating. One from Nola 1904 at age 37 which would make his birth year 1867. the other was from Vola 1901 at age 39 and his birth year would be 1862. Either one of these could be father of Nunsio (18).

I look forward to hearing from you again. Hopefully we can track down my ancestors. I assume that Defeo and possibly Nunzio are common names in Italy.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 01 Nov 2009, 08:45

Do you know if Antonio could be long form for Nunzio or Nuntio?

No, Antonio and Nunzio are two different first names....

I believe this could be the right arrival manifest just because I noticed that the place of origin (Santo stefano del Sole - Avellino Province - Campania region) was the same of Giovannina Colacurcio... It was very common that people coming from the same places were married and were living in the same places...

Do you know if Nunzio's father name was Antonio? Do you have Nunzio death certificate?

I don't have the full subscription to Ancestry.com but I noticed that there is also the 1911 census for them living in BC.

1911 Census of Canada
Census & Voter Lists
View Image
Name: Nunzio Defeo
Spouse: Jeanet
Birth: date - location
Arrival: year
Residence: 1911 - Kootenay, British Columbia

I'm sure some other member will post the image for you...

On this database on Ancestry.com
British Columbia Marriage Index: 1872 to 1924

there is also the record for Nunzio's marriage to Giovannina:

under: Nuntio Defeo / Govanina Colacurcio

Do you have their marriage certificate?

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 01 Nov 2009, 14:35

pink67 wrote:I noticed that there is also the 1911 census for them living in BC.

1911 Census of Canada
Census & Voter Lists
View Image
Name: Nunzio Defeo
Spouse: Jeanet
Birth: date - location
Arrival: year
Residence: 1911 - Kootenay, British Columbia

Laura's census find :D :

1911 Canadian Census

Province: British Columbia
District: Kootenay District Number: 9
Sub-District: Revelstoke Sub-District Number: 48

head Nunzio Defeo 28, born Jul 1882 IT
- immig 1902, Na 1908(?)
wife Jeanet Defeo 26, born Nov 1884 IT
- immig 1897
daughter Saraphine Defeo 3, born Mar 1908 BC
son Celester Defeo 1, born Jan 1910 BC

pink67 wrote:On this database on <a href="http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a>
British Columbia Marriage Index: 1872 to 1924

there is also the record for Nunzio's marriage to Giovannina:

under: Nuntio Defeo / Govanina Colacurcio

Do you have their marriage certificate?

Name: Nuntio Defeo
BRIDE: Govanina Colacurcio
Marriage Date: 13 Jun 1907
Place: Revelstoke
bca number: B11386
Registration Number: 1907-09-163063
GSU Number: 1983979

beppa

Postby beppa » 03 Nov 2009, 03:53

Laura,
If you say that Antonio is not the same first name as Nunzio, then I am sure that Antonio was not Nunzio’s (1) father.... unless the people who recorded the ship manifest or arrivals in US entered Antonio for Nunzio thinking they were the same name. Too bad, it looked pretty good at first.

Nunzio had two sons and two daughters. One son named Nunzio (2) became a priest and then monsignor. I found lots of info online about him. In one RC site, I have a testimony of Nunzio (2) talking about his father dying just before he was born. Nunzio (2) was born Dec 11, 1921 and I found a Nunzio (1) Defoe death in BC Archives for Dec 1, 1921.

So I go must go back to the two I found immigrating...Nunzio Defeo 1901 and 1904 from Vola and Nola.....and either one could be Nunzio (1) father. I can get to the summary of the manifest but for some reason I cannot view the actual manifest which may show more info. Will keep working on that.

I do not have death certficate of Nunzio (1) only what is shown on BC Archives. I am not sure that a copy of the death certificate will show much more. I shall try to contact the Funeral Home of the area and see if they can help me. In the past I have had a little luck going that route.

I do not have marriage certificate of Nunzio and Giovannina, only what is shown on BC Archives. I have contacted the Archives and only the parents names are showing. No place names so I don’t think getting a copy will help too much. And it is expensive also.
As with the death record, I will try to contact the Catholic churches of the area and see what I can get .

The 1911 Census for them I have seen.

Recently volunteers at Rootschat found the Colacurcio family on 1901 Census in the same area. It shows Giovannina born Nov 1 1884 exactly what her obit says. So now I have bride and groom to be living in same location.
Giovannia father was Franc age 43 in 1901, immigrated 1888 and naturalized 1897. mother was Celestra age 47 immigrated 1886, brother Angelo age 18 immigrated 1896, brother Emlo 13, and sister Maria age 3. seems that all the family was naturalized in 1897.

now will try to find their immigration records!

I looked on map of Italy and found where Nola and Vola are located. They don’t seem to be too close to Santo Stefano del Sole but difficult to tell as I am not familiar with Italy. Except of course for Udine where my mom was born in 1922. She immigrated in 1927. Just a bit of person touch!

Are there web sites in Italy for people to search for ancestors? I have heard it is very difficult to do research in Italy....

you have been a tremendous help...it is good to chat...helps me get things in order...many thanks
lori

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 03 Nov 2009, 17:29

Hi Lori,

don't know if you already have this record... maybe it could be helpful for your family search....

beppa wrote:Giovannia father was Franc age 43 in 1901

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Filomeno Di Angelo Colacurcio
Name: Filomeno Di Angelo Colacurcio
Arrival Date: 22 Jun 1899
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Saale
Search Ship Database: View the Saale in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 2
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_71
Page Number: 315

Filomeno (male) stated he was married, coming from Santo Stefano del Sole, joining his brother Francesco (Giovannina's father?) in Canada. He was in Canada before, from 1893 to 1897...
Please note that the person listed below him is joining his brother in law Francesco Colacurcio :!: ....

[img=http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8151/colacurciofilomeno1899.th.jpg]

Filomeno Colacurcio di Angelo means he was the son of Angelo....

Laura

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 03 Nov 2009, 17:51

Hello Lori!
I saw the manifests for 1901 & 1904 for a Nunzio De Feo born in the 1860's - do you need them linked?
Question, what document did you find with Nunzio( b. abt 1883-d abt 1921?) father's name on it?
The reason I ask, it was a bit unusual in Italy for father and son to have the same first name.
Thanks! Valarie

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 03 Nov 2009, 18:03

Pink67 wrote:Please note that the person listed below him is joining his brother in law Francesco Colacurcio ....

This man was Carpiniello Nunzio di Filippo and being Francesco's brother in law maybe Celesta's (Francesco's wife) maiden name was Carpiniello :wink:

Laura

beppa

Postby beppa » 04 Nov 2009, 02:57

[quote=Question, what document did you find with Nunzio( b. abt 1883-d abt 1921?) father's name on it? The reason I ask, it was a bit unusual in Italy for father and son to have the same first name.

Valarie,
Nunzio (1883-1921) had son Nunzio who became a Roman Catholic priest and then became Monsignor. there were several articles in church papers on-line about him. in one article he mentions visiting cemetery where his father was buried and that he had died in an industrial accident short before Nunzio (1921-2005) was born. that cinched it for me. also Nunzio (1921-2005) mentioned a brother who was also buried in cemetery who died at age 3 and I found him also...so i figured i must have the correct parentage.

thanks for the query anyway...keeps me on my toes.

beppa

Postby beppa » 04 Nov 2009, 03:09

Laura,
this find of yours is just amazing. thank you.
so if this is correct, now i have yet another line to check into.
Celestra Carpiniello.

In Canada and many of the provinces here, have a Provincial Archive sites where one can logon and view on line birth,marriage,deaths of individuals...providing record # etc for purchase if one wants. but sometimes just the record itself is most helpful.

do you have something like that in Italy?
i sure would like to check some things out.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 04 Nov 2009, 07:16

beppa wrote:do you have something like that in Italy?

Unfortunately not....

But you're lucky because I noticed the Mormons microfilmed the civil registrations for the town of Santo Stefano del Sole in Avellino Province, campania region...

You may contact your nearest center and ask to rent some microfilms
for example this one:

Nati 1866-1899 Pubblicazioni 1866-1899 Matrimoni 1866-1899 Morti 1866-1869
FHL INTL
Film 1660364 Items 2-5

and check with the birth date you have for Nunzio.... I'm pretty sure he was from the same place of Giovannina....

here is the link to find your nearest center:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp

and to find the places microfilmed:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0

I don't understand very well why you're thinking that the first record I found for Nunzio is not correct.... The common "rule" in Italy it was to name the first son like the paternal grandfather, so it seems a little bit strange to me that the Nunzio (1 - 1883-1921)) had a father named Nunzio too... maybe his father was Antonio...
I believe the 1902 arrival manifest I found it could be correct...

Laura

beppa

Postby beppa » 04 Nov 2009, 16:53

Laura,
thanks for the Mormon church find. i have visited the genealogy dept there before. so i shall have to look into that. I don't often travel to that location as it is not too close and i must travel by car to get there. so it may be several months before i have a chance to do anything on that part of my research. finding, ordering and then travelling to view all takes time.

as far as why I don't think that the immigration of Nunzio 1902 is not my fellow, Nunzio father's name is not Antonio....
Oh how i would like him to be my Nunzio and he still may be...maybe the notation on immigration saying to father really could have meant father in law. that is a possibility, yes?

Nunzio (1883-1921) had son Nunzio who became a Roman Catholic priest and then became Monsignor. there were several articles in church papers on-line about him. in one article he mentions visiting cemetery where his father was buried and that he had died in an industrial accident short before Nunzio (1921-2005) was born. that cinched it for me. also Nunzio (1921-2005) mentioned a brother who was also buried in cemetery who died at age 3 and I found him also...so i figured i must have the correct parentage.
who he was named after is a mystery.

if you can suggest another angle please do and i shall work on it further.
thank you again.

beppa

Postby beppa » 05 Nov 2009, 02:28

laura
i looked on the Mormon site and found other films which could be ordered also. because i don't understand Italian, i can only make a wild guess as to what information is contained in them. i tried to attach the list of the others but could not figure out how to do it.

i hope that the film you mentioned has been translated to English. i will try to ask a member of the church to see how i could find out.

beppa

Postby beppa » 05 Nov 2009, 02:40

[quote="vj"]Hello Lori!
I saw the manifests for 1901 & 1904 for a Nunzio De Feo born in the 1860's - do you need them linked?

sorry i forgot to reply to your question.... i don't need them linked, as i am thinking either one of them could be the father of my Nunzio Defoe. but nothing to prove that yet.

laura seems to think that Nunzio Defoe immigrating in 1902 is father of my Nunzio. and she could be right.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”