Joseph Fede

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
oscar344

Joseph Fede

Postby oscar344 » 02 Nov 2009, 03:05

My great grandfather moved from Italy I am pretty sure Sicily. He moved here when he was 2 years old. So it would probably have been between 1900 - 1915. It would be great to find some information about him like his hometown and what not. The info that I know is that he was 2 years old when he moved here and his name is Joseph Fede. His son, my grandfather, his name is Vito Fede. Hope this is enough information. Another thing what are the requirements to become an Italian citizen based on family relationships? Thank You So much.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Joseph Fede

Postby wldspirit » 02 Nov 2009, 07:11

Can you confirm this record and location? In which US state did this family reside?

Vito J Fede
Birth date Jan 1931
Location New Jersey

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 02 Nov 2009, 07:30

Possibility, but there are a few others that would fit within the same criteria:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

Name: Giuseppe Di Fede
Arrival Date: 26 Oct 1917
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1914
Port of Departure: Genova
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Giuseppe Verdi
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
NATIVITY: Italy
Line: 15
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_2549
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: comiso
Page Number: 153

wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 02 Nov 2009, 07:37

And another, really we need a more accurate year of birth, and some additional detail to help identify your ancestor and not that of a similar name:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

Name: Giuseppe Di Fede
Arrival Date: 28 Oct 1911
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1904
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Italia

Port of Arrival: New York, New York
NATIVITY: Sicily
Line: 3
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_1763
Birth Location: Sicily
Birth Location Other: campobello
Page Number: 136

oscar344

Postby oscar344 » 02 Nov 2009, 13:41

Well I know for a fact that his name is Joseph not Giuseppe. As well that he was exactly 2 years old when he came here. Another fact is that I know that he resided in New Jersey and that is where my grandfather grew up. I do not know what state he arrived in.

As well I can confirm this Location:

Vito J Fede
Birth date Jan 1931
Location New Jersey
(which would be his son)

form wldspirit
Con Affetto

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 02 Nov 2009, 14:14

oscar344 wrote: Another thing what are the requirements to become an Italian citizen based on family relationships? Thank You So much.

This link may have the answer your question:
http://www.italiancitizenship.freeforum ... y-t74.html
---

oscar344 wrote:Well I know for a fact that his name is Joseph not Giuseppe.

If he was born in Italy he would most likely have been named Giuseppe, Giuseppe is usually americanized to Joseph.

link to Italian name site:
http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/ita2.php
---

Also where in NJ did your g-grandfather & grandfather live?

Thank you,
Valarie

oscar344

Postby oscar344 » 02 Nov 2009, 14:18

They lived in Lincoln Park, New Jersey, okay so most likely his name was Guiseppe then. As well for that other site that you had up I am looking at applying for Category #9.( Maternal Great Grandfather), Is it easier if it is a male ancestor, because all for sets of my great grandparents are from either sicily or the milan area. The only problem is that my fathers grandfather changed his last name when he moved to the US and died shortly thereafter and there is only speculation on what the name was. As well Is it bad to assume that the further you go down the list the more and more perilous it becomes to get Italian citizenship?

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 02 Nov 2009, 14:36

I guess it really depends upon what you find out in your research.
It is usually recommended to look at each ancestor from Italy and determine their naturalization status (when & where)

First step is generally to find your family's US records - they should lead you back to your town of origin in Italy.

- Looking for ship manifest:
http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html

- Census records and
- Military registration cards (born before 1900)

Do you have any other information that may help?
We can help you look, but we would need a bit more, did your grandfather have brothers or sisters born before 1930 (1930 is the date of the last available census), what was Joseph's wife's name. Was his original name Fede?
Thanks!
Valarie

oscar344

Postby oscar344 » 02 Nov 2009, 14:58

Form what I am seeing from looking at the Ellis island site is that in my parameters of first name Guiseppe last name Fede, age between 1 and 5, dates between 1900 1924 i searched and i got one result which is Guiseppe Federico ( which is easily fede). The results that i got back was that he was 2 years old and he was from southern Italy and left out of Naples.

The passenger record:
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 2786030070

As well they show him in the line number he is with a Rosa Fedrico # 29, possibly my great great grandma, who is listed as married but no spouse is listed with her, Near him the only thing is that I am curious though there are more Federicos on the manifest before them but it seems like a seperate family it lists them as from Cegrano??

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/viewT ... 2786030070

Is this a probable match, I will ask my grandfather if his grandfather came to the states, what if my Great Great Grandfather was deceased or never came to the US and my Great Great Grandmother came with family? Does that still qualify me for citizenship??
Con Affetto

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 02 Nov 2009, 15:06

Try searching
first name begins with 'G' (giuseppe is often misspelled as guisseppe)
last name begins with 'fed' or 'di fed'
origin 'italy'

If he was travelling with his mother, she will be listed under her maiden name
Look at who they were joining in the US (on page 2 on manifests after 1907) - it should be his father

Citizenship status will depend upon who was an Italian citizen

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Nov 2009, 15:11

Did you read the websites above in reference to your italian citizenship inquiry?

Here is another website somewhat easier to read with prices. Go to
www.myitaliancitizenship.com/index.jsp? ... enship.htm

Lots of luck to you. =Peter=
~Peter~

oscar344

Postby oscar344 » 02 Nov 2009, 15:33

well i found a Giacomo Fede who was three that seems to have come with brothers and sisters. Then i searched Di Fede and found a Giuseppe Di Fede who was three years old upon arrival from Comiso, Italy which is in Southern Sicily. Born in 1914 and arrived in 1917. He came with presumably his mother Paola Salafia di Fede, and a brother Biagio Di Fede ( 3 yrs old) and a sister Salvatrice Di Fede (12 yrs old). How do you find who they were joining in the US?
Con Affetto

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 02 Nov 2009, 15:43

oscar344 wrote:... Then i searched Di Fede and found a Giuseppe Di Fede who was three years old upon arrival from Comiso, Italy which is in Southern Sicily. Born in 1914 and arrived in 1917. He came with presumably his mother Paola Salafia di Fede, and a brother Biagio Di Fede ( 3 yrs old) and a sister Salvatrice Di Fede (12 yrs old). How do you find who they were joining in the US?

Here you go:
page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0015

joining husband/father Nunzio Di Fede on Mulberry Street in NY
Mulberry Street was a very common address for newly arrived immigrants

I believe wldspirit also thought this manifest was a good possibility

Perhaps your grandfather will recognize some of the names?

(your 1st manifest 'Giacomo' would usually become Jacob/James etc)
---

If this Giuseppe is your grandfather, he would have been abt 17 when he had your grandfather Vito in 1931?

oscar344

Postby oscar344 » 02 Nov 2009, 15:51

NOTE: "Italian citizen at the time of birth" is extremely important in determining whether or not you qualify. Parents who became naturalized citizens of their new country BEFORE the birth of their children lost their Italian citizenship and COULD NOT pass citizenship on to them, while parents who became naturalized AFTER the birth of their children COULD pass citizenship on to them. For example, Achille Berto immigrated to the USA in 1895. He became a naturalized US citizen in 1919 and had a son David in 1921. Citizenship was not passed to David because Achille was an American citizen (naturalized in 1919) at the time of David's birth. Using another example, Massimo Meneghetti immigrated to the USA in 1912, had a daughter Eleanor in 1924 and became a naturalized US citizen in 1936. Citizenship WAS passed to Eleanor because Massimo was still an Italian citizen when she was born.

Is this right? This is an example from the site that Peter Timber suggested. So going by this it doesn't matter whether or not my great great grandfather was a US citizen because my Great Grandfather was born in italy. So if my Great Great Grandfather became a US citizen after my Great Grandfather was born I am still eligible for citizenship?
Con Affetto

oscar344

Postby oscar344 » 02 Nov 2009, 15:54

So i can ask my grandfather about Nunzio, if that is correct I can then look into seeing when he was naturalized if he was naturalized. Where do you find that?

You guys are awesome. thank You so much.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”