Looking for assistance with BARONI (Swiss-Italian border)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Looking for assistance with BARONI (Swiss-Italian border)

Postby jwazevedo » 06 Nov 2009, 03:21

I'm helping my uncle find out more about his family, but I'm not getting very far. I could use some help.

His father, James Frank Baroni, was born in Switzerland in 1885 to an Italian father and a Swiss mother. This information comes from the 1930 census for Big River Township in Mendocino County, California. The census also says that he immigrated in 1910 and naturalized before 1930. The 1920 census says that he immigrated in 1907 and naturalized in 1917. However I haven't been able to find an immigration record for either 1907 or 1910 or a naturalization record. I'm looking for anything that would fill in the blanks.

His mother, Delphina (Delfina) Mossi, was born in Switzerland in 1889 and immigrated through Ellis Island on March 10, 1912. She left behind a father in San Antonio (or Santantornio), Italy. She married James Frank, had several children, then died in 1923.

I'm drawing a blank about where to go next and would like the advice of more experienced genealogists.

Thank you.
Jerry

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for assistance with BARONI (Swiss-Italian border

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Nov 2009, 03:43

There are two Giacomo (James) Baroni born 1885 with one arriving from Riva and the other from Treviso. There are multiple towns in Italy having Riva as a place name or part of a place name while Treviso is a provincial capital in the Veneto region. The Riva baroni arrived inthe USA on Janury 3, 1912 and the other baroni arrivied on April 25,1908. The Riva baroni arrived at age 23 and the Treviso baroni arrived at age 23

May I suggest you go to www.ellisisland.org and ascertain which Giacomo baroni is the person you are seeking before we can start researching. =Peter=
~Peter~

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Nov 2009, 03:55

I did a quick check and found the arrival of Giacomo baroni arriving from CADENAZZO (Ticino province) Switzerland on April 25,1908 at NYC at age 23. So I think we can eliminate the other Baroni.

Lets take this one step at a time so we can do this together because Ticino is a swiss province. Your job is to go to www.ellisisland.org and look up his arrival under "trepiso"(Treviso I suspect) in Italy. He was destined to California. clickon the ships manifest. =Peter=
~Peter~

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jwazevedo » 06 Nov 2009, 05:29

Well, Peter, I'm chagrined though delighted you found the immigration record. I could have sworn I'd checked all of the Giacomo Baroni's. But yes, I can believe this one from "Trepiso" is my uncle's father. Family lore says that he was born in Bellinzona, and Cadenazzo is in that district. Thanks! And now?
Jerry

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 06 Nov 2009, 09:28

Hi, surely the Giacomo Baroni son of Ernesto that came in USA in 1908 is your ancestor; no doubt abt Peter finding.... Cadenazzo is in the district of Bellinzona; Trepiso was only the last residence, maybe work place; Ernesto was in Cadenazzo as a well the brother Ferdinando( by Jams Frank Baroni WWI draft registration card: next of kin-Ferdinando Baroni brother in Cadenazzo)..

for birth certificate request you can write here:
Municipio di Cadenazzo

Cancelleria comunale

Casella postale 161

6593 Cadenazzo
Switzerland
email: municipio @ cadenazzo.ch (NO SPACES)

however on the Cadenazzo website http://www.cadenazzo.ch/
it is the info: that from 2004 for any certificate it is necessary to send the request to:
Ufficio circondariale dello stato civile
Via Jauch 1
6500 Bellinzona
Switzerland

and you must ask the Estratto dell'atto di Nascita ( birth certificate) of BARONI Giacomo nato a Cadenazzo il 12 Dicembre 1885

you can use this form letter in Italian language: http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
hoping helpful,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby elba » 06 Nov 2009, 09:44

His mother, Delphina (Delfina) Mossi, was born in Switzerland in 1889 and immigrated through Ellis Island on March 10, 1912. She left behind a father in San Antonio (or Santantornio), Italy. She married James Frank, had several children, then died in 1923.

I did a quick check and found the arrival of Giacomo baroni arriving from CADENAZZO (Ticino province) Switzerland on April 25,1908 at NYC at age 23.

This is undoubtedly the Baroni you are seeking. Cadenazzo and San Antonino are just 2 miles apart and the nearest border with Italy is only about 19 miles...
>San Antonino-Cadenazzo-Lugano<

This is the wesite for the >Comune of Cadenazzo<
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"

Michael31
Master
Master

Postby Michael31 » 06 Nov 2009, 12:46

www.telsearch.ch
Baroni, Denise (-Favre)
zona Ciossa, 6593 Cadenazzo/TI
*091 858 37 23

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jwazevedo » 06 Nov 2009, 16:19

Thanks for all the help! So is none of the Swiss-Italian information available online. I don't see birth certificates and such at the Ancestry or LDS sites, for example.

And do we do the naturalization search the hard way, through USCIS? I'm guessing that's true because I didn't find naturalization info for my other relatives online or even in NARA for that part of California.

And here's a coincidence that's probably not a coincidence: My aunt's family - this is my mother's sister, the one married to this uncle - all came from Garzeno, Italy, which is just across the border from Cadenazzo/Sant'Antonino. I have no evidence that the families could have known each other in Europe, yet they were within a day's walk.

Jerry

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Nov 2009, 16:27

Dear JWazevedo anomilies prevail where humans are concerned. My father lived only 12 miles from my mother when they were children and passed each other weekly without knowing. They did not meet and marry until they were residing in NYC in their late teens. =Peter=
~Peter~

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jwazevedo » 06 Nov 2009, 17:22

Thank you, Peter. These family stories are, for me, the reward of genealogy, the way an unformed past slowly acquires shape and color. Of course, the frustration is that with our ancestors dead, we cannot sit down to have tea with them and pelt them with questions.
Jerry

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Nov 2009, 17:34

I heartily agree but since the genes will out you can catch a glimpse from the immediate family and relatives from time to time. =Peter=
~Peter~

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jwazevedo » 08 Nov 2009, 03:59

I did locate an LDS film for the Cadenazzo church records, and I plan to order that as soon as I get to town. So that might have the birth information for my uncle's father (and more). For his mother, LDS seems not to have films for Sant'Antonino (her father's residence as listed on her immigration record) or Carena (her reputed birthplace). Sant'Antonino has a website with a contact page, so I will ask about where to request vital records and family information. Carena seems not to have an online presence. Any idea where to write to them? Am I right in assuming that Swiss records are held by the comune of origin, as in Italy?
Thanks.
Jerry

Return to “Italian Genealogy”