Family trees

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
leash
Rookie
Rookie

Family trees

Postby leash » 06 Nov 2009, 15:49

I was just wondering if anyone has good information on where to start on a family tree... I wan to go as far abck as possible and see if i can find any information on my italian roots... I see people post so much info about there grandparents etc how do you find all that info out?!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Family trees

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Nov 2009, 15:53

You can start off by going to this website to familiarize you with Italian genealogy
www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html

Should yo have any questions please get back to us. =Peter=
~Peter~

Veronesi-Guardini
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Veronesi-Guardini » 09 Nov 2009, 00:43

Your best bet is to get out a pencil and some paper and sketch out everything you know

Then, ask any family members you can about anything they might know. This is one of the best ways to make tracks into discovering names, places, dates etc.

Once you have that, you can begin to search the internet for records, of obtain microfilms from the LDS of the communes where your family are from

The more you can find now, the more chance of success!

leash
Rookie
Rookie

Postby leash » 09 Nov 2009, 05:01

thanks, my family dont kno very much... but i have slowly started =) and hope to find out more info.... or discover some new stuff =)
Known surnames- Mollica, Alba, Cannella, Secchitano
I would like to research my family history and find out as much as I can =)

Veronesi-Guardini
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Veronesi-Guardini » 09 Nov 2009, 22:14

If you post some name, places and dates, maybe someone on here can help you!

carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Postby carolinechurch » 10 Nov 2009, 01:13

If your family has been in Australia for a generation or so, it may be worth subscribing to www.ancestry.com.au
It is part of an international site, but specific to Australia, so could be a good starting point for finding when/how your family arrived there.
Have a look through the site before signing up, you can always pay per view for $10.95 for 10 items and see what you think.
Ask your family to keep thinking about what they know, or even 'think' they know and write it all down.
Sometimes stories change drastically or are not actually true, but little bits of information often fall into place many years later. Just check every fact twice, then check it again!

Have fun, and good luck with finding your family - I've been doing it on and off for 20 years and am still hooked.

Caroline.
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”