Louis Cardis

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pequot

Louis Cardis

Postby pequot » 17 Nov 2009, 17:10

I am looking for information on the Italian origins of Louis Cardis, b.1825 in Piedmont, Italy, d.1877 in El Paso, Texas.
He was involved in the so-called San Elizario Salt War, in Texas, in the 1870’s. The years in Texas leading up to his death are well documented, but his place of birth and Italian origins are not clear.
Here is what I have garnered from various sources:
-Born in Piedmont, 1825
-Served in Giuseppe Garibaldi’s army as captain, 1848-49
-Immigrated to USA, 1854
-Naturalized May 1859, in California, later disallowed
-Applied for citizenship in New York, March 28, 1864
-US citizenship granted, July 19, 1869
-Federal Census, El Paso, 1870, listed as Louis Cordis
-Elected to Texas state legislature, 1876
-Murdered by Charles Howard, 1877
-His estate passed to heirs Gaudenzio Cardis and Rosa Pavesi de Cardis of El Paso

I have found a few variations on the spelling of his name, and I don’t know what his original Italian name was. There are many possibilities:
Cardi, Cardisi, Cardissi, Cardosi, Cardini, Cardoni, etc., etc.

There is a wealth of information on line about his later years, you might want to look at this: http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/onli ... fca49.html

If you have any information that might help me in my search, I would be very grateful.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Thank you,
Grant Ditzler

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Louis Cardis

Postby misbris » 17 Nov 2009, 19:33

Hi and welcome to the forum, :lol:

The name Cardis actually does exist in Italy. Piedmont is a region in Italy. This site will show you the towns in Piedmont where the name exists.

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 17 Nov 2009, 19:47

Dear Grant there are only 12 telephone listings for CARDIS inthe Piemonte region of Italy and can be found at www.paginebianche.it by putting in CARDIS in the first line and Piemonte in the second line and clicking CERCA for all 12 by name,address and telephone number since a letter written in simple english short sentences requesting information about LUIGI CARDIS (of his participation with garibaldi to set their minds clearly) requesting his place of birth in Piemonte. Include a self address envelope with $2.00 for stamps (EURO$=1.50US).

In Italy all births are recorded in the city,town or even small village of origin so long as they are listed as a "comune"(political subdivision).

There is also a PhD dissertation about The SW Territory and the assassination of Louis Cardis by a Mr. Howell in 1877 written by
MANUEL CALLAHAN
2427 Albee Street
Eureka, California 95501 telephone 707-445-3822 =Peter=
~Peter~

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 17 Nov 2009, 21:05

Hi,
Cardis was the right surname:
http://books.google.it/books?id=A5EZAQA ... cardis&lr=