Can't find information on Grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
VickiSalvoni

Just a spelling hunch...

Post by VickiSalvoni »

Ellis Island saw a LOT of Matteucci family members go through. I am related to some of them, so I just got the feeling maybe the people at the Island heard Matteucci instead of what your grandfather said. Take a look at www.ellisisland.org for the name Francesco Matteucci and bingo, you'll see one that arrived in 1920...and there are many others. I hope this is your grandfather!

Matteucci, Francesco

Italy So.

Ferentino, Italy - (U.S.A.)

February 14, 1920

33y

M

S

Giuseppe Verdi

Naples, Campania, Italy

Good luck!
Vicki Salvoni Kent
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dedar Vicki While i can appreciate your desire to be helpful, please be advised that persons entering the USA at the turn of the century like now had to present valid travel documents issued by the Italian government based upon their identity papers. The immigrants were nver questioned as to their identity orally and reliance was made on the documents presented and the ships manifests. The idea that someone did not hear the correct name is ludicrous. The ellisisnad site contains errors in spelling because when the not too swift typists transferred the names to the computers from the ships manifest or other sources used they dropped, added or changewd a letter or two but I have never encountered complete name changes in the computer version of the ellis island data base. But thank you for your efforts. Peter
amylaws

can't find info on grandfather

Post by amylaws »

ptimber wrote:Dedar Vicki While i can appreciate your desire to be helpful, please be advised that persons entering the USA at the turn of the century like now had to present valid travel documents issued by the Italian government based upon their identity papers. The immigrants were nver questioned as to their identity orally and reliance was made on the documents presented and the ships manifests. The idea that someone did not hear the correct name is ludicrous. The ellisisnad site contains errors in spelling because when the not too swift typists transferred the names to the computers from the ships manifest or other sources used they dropped, added or changewd a letter or two but I have never encountered complete name changes in the computer version of the ellis island data base. But thank you for your efforts. Peter
Hi there,
Thanks for all your help, but I think I'm going to have someone does research for me. Look for his naturalization papers.

Thanks again,
Amy
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Your better off buying the book Italian genealogical Records by Trafford R., Cole for an easy read and allow you to conduct your own research unimpeded. Peter