Annecharico/ Lebra surnames

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Josepha1961

Annecharico/ Lebra surnames

Postby Josepha1961 » 30 Nov 2009, 01:02

I'm new to this site and this is my first posting. I've seen info on my mom's maiden name (Grasso), but am having a difficult time finding anything on my father's name or my maternal grandmother's maiden name.My mom said that Lebra was rumored to have originally been Lebrario (sp.)?
Annecharico is a name that has various different spellings in my area. Annicciarico/Anniciarico are a couple.
I'm guessing the latter two spellings are less likely to have been changed-the "ci" instead of "ch".
Has anyone heard of either of these two surnames?
I'm glad to have discovered this site. There's so much interesting info!
I think most of my family was from Napoli and the surrounding area.

vj
Master
Master

Re: Annecharico/ Lebra surnames

Postby vj » 30 Nov 2009, 15:02

Hello and Welcome to the Forum!

Here's a neat site where you can plug in as few as 4 letters of a surname to check out possible spellings:
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

One way to find the most accurate spelling would be to find original ship manifests. New York arrivals 1892-1924 are here:
http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html

If you would like us to help you search we would need a few more details: names, approx birth dates, location in US, spouse, children, siblings - whatever you know that may help.

Thanks!
Valarie

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 01 Dec 2009, 08:29

Annecharico is a name that has various different spellings in my area. Annicciarico/Anniciarico are a couple.
I'm guessing the latter two spellings are less likely to have been changed-the "ci" instead of "ch".

Possibly, the right spell is one of these:

ANNECCHIARICO
ANNECHIARICO
ANNICCHIARICO
ANNICHIARICO

see on this (italian) site the meaning and origin of them:

http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/cognomi0001n.htm

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 01 Dec 2009, 08:44

My mom said that Lebra was rumored to have originally been Lebrario (sp.)?

Mybe LIBRERA??

Laura :D

Josepha1961

Postby Josepha1961 » 01 Dec 2009, 15:38

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful info.
Can anyone give me the general translation of this paragraph?

[i]Annecchiarico, abbastanza raro, sembra tipico di Montemiletto (AV), Annechiarico è dovuto ad errori di trascrizione, Annichiarico, molto raro, e Annicchiarico, più diffuso, sembrano tipici di Grottaglie (TA).
integrazioni fornite da Stefano Bettazzi
Annechiarico, quasi unico, è un errore di trascrizione di Annecchiarico, tipico per lo più dell'avellinese, Annichiarico, molto raro, è anch'esso probabilmente un errore di trascrizione di Annicchiarico, che presenta un ceppo largamente maggiore nel tarantino e ceppi minori nel nord e centro nord del paese, nonché nell'avellinese, tutti questi cognomi derivano dall'antico italiano annicchio o annicchiarico, col significato di giovenco, manzo: l'origine del termine va ricercata nel latino anniculus, che letteralmente significa di un anno, in riferimento, quindi, ai giovenchi che hanno raggiunto il primo anno di vita. Questi cognomi, dunque, derivano o dal mestiere svolto dai capostipiti (probabilmente dei mandriani o dei commercianti in giovenchi) oppure da loro caratteristiche fisiche o comportamentali (talvolta, infatti, il termine annicchio o annichiarico poteva essere utilizzato anche come soprannome per un ragazzo, in relazione alla giovinezza che accomuna uomini e animali nei primi anni della loro vita).

Since most of my older relatives have passed, I'm not exposed to Italian as much as I was in my youth. Apparently my two years of high school Italian didn't help much!
Thanks to all! This is a great site!!
Jo

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 02 Dec 2009, 15:32

I'm not so good at this but I'll try:

Annecchiarico, pretty rare, looks like tipical of Montemiletto (Avellino Province - Campania region)
Annechiarico is due to transcription errors
Annichiarico, very rare and Annicchiarico, more widespread, seems tipical of the town of Grottaglie (Taranto Province - Apulia region)
(integrations from Stefano Bettazzi)
Annechiarico, almost unique, it's a transcription error of Annecchiarico, tipical of the Avellino areas.
Annichiarico is mainly present in the Taranto areas and in a minor way in the north and centre of the Country
All of these lastnames derive from the ancient italian term annicchio or annicchiarico which means bullock, young beef.
The origin of the term comes from the latin word Anniculus, which literally means "of one year of age", with the reference to the young beef who reached one year of age.
So, all these lastnames comes or from the occupation of the founder of the family (possibly herdsmen or beef dealers) or from their physical or behaviour characteristics (sometimes, in fact, the term annicchio or annichiarico can be used also as nickname for a boy, in relation to his youth)

I apologize for my rude translation, I hope some other italian member can help better than me :D
I hope that the meaning is clear...

Laura

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Dec 2009, 15:59

Both Annechiarico and its variations and Lebra surnames and its variations as well are not listed in the Italian surname dictionary which signifies that the surname may be imported and italianized or local in origin based upon anecdotes, nicknames, local occuptional acitvity so that different spellings would crop up from town to town or area to area despite it having the same or similar significance. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”