Sicilian family- Basilotta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Sicilian family- Basilotta

Postby DeFilippis78 » 02 Dec 2009, 22:26

Does this website help out with Sicilian geneaology? I know some people consider Italian and Sicilian the same. But I have relatives recently from Italy who say " no way" they are considered two seperate nationalities and countries. From what I heard the Italians frown upon the Sicilians.

Anyhow, Im interested in my great-great grandparent just for geneaology purposes, not dual citiznship. My GG grandma is Serafina Basilotta from the region Nicosia and her brothers from Catania in Sicily. I have no name for her parents. She came to America at 5 and married Joseph Paonessa.

Their daughter Mary (marie) Paonessa married Antonio Passaro. These are my great grandparents.

Their daughter Josephine Passaro is my grandma who is still living.

Anybody out there from this family?

Alicia
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: Sicilian family- Basilotta

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Dec 2009, 22:33

There is no distinction between Italy and Sicily except for geography in Italy. Italian genealogy is the same as everything else in Italy which includes Sicily and all the islands that are Italian.

Nowif you wish to conduct genealogy for your family then go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html

We are here to answer any questions you may have concerning your family in Sicily. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby vj » 02 Dec 2009, 23:38

DeFilippis78 wrote:... My GG grandma is Serafina Basilotta from the region Nicosia and her brothers from Catania in Sicily. I have no name for her parents. She came to America at 5 and married Joseph Paonessa...

Hello Alicia!
What US records have you found?
Do you have approx birth years and locations?
Found this 1894 manifest, but w/o more information it's hard to tell if it's your family.
Thanks
Valarie

possible 1894 manifest

20 Aug 1894, SS Olympia to New York
lines 78-85

Luigi Basilotta 52, abt 1842
- last residence Nicosia
(comune of Nicosia, province of Enna, (was Catania), Sicily)
Providenza D'Amico 45, abt 1849
children
Epifania 14 (edit: corrected name to feminine)
Francesco 12
Giovanni 8
Michele 6
Serafina 5, abt 1889
Antonia 1
---

Is this the correct marriage record?
If it is, a copy from the NYC Archives should have her parent's names.

Name Marriage Date Certificate Number County

Paonessa Giuseppe Apr 19 1908 8720 (1908) Manhattan
Basilotta Serafina Apr 19 1908 8720 (1908) Manhattan
---

If you haven’t used these, they may help you locate New York City records:

Dr Steve Morse One Step Search Pages for New York:

NY Naturalization
NYC Birth Records (1901-1907)
NYC Birth Records 1891-1902 (requires ancestry. com subscription)
NYC Groom Index 1864-1936
NYC Bride Index ????-1937
NYC Death Records 1891-1948

Ordering NYC Vital Records
New York City Archives

from NYC records by the Italian Genealogical Group
http://www.italiangen.org/
vj
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 03 Dec 2009, 00:11

That 1894 manifest is correct. The only issues I had with it is all the kids are listed as BARILOTTA which I dont think is a true last name and Luigi is BASILOTTA. Im ot sure if he is related to them. It would make sense since it was all children coming over that he is some relation though. Unless that was allowed for kids to come by themselves. Im not sure who Providenza is though. I do know for a fact that Basilotta is her maiden name because I have my great grandmas social security application and she listed her mother as Sarah Basilotta although her true name is Serafina

I cant find any record on her siblings accept Giovanni and Michele who changed their name to the american form of John and mMchael Basilotta. But cant find the others.

I have to check out those websites and marriage certificate. I always heard of her husband as Joseph not Guiseppe although it means the same.

I cant wait to check those links out though. Thanks.
alicia
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby vj » 03 Dec 2009, 00:26

Alicia
Barilotta is proabably a misspelling of Basilotta since children are usually listed after parents on a manifest
(the children would not have travelled alone)
Providenza is travelling under her maiden name, she is probably Luigi's wife & the children's mother
In Italy women keep their maiden names
She would not have taken her husband's name until she arrived in the US & adopted US customs
Do you know if Serafina or her brothers named any of their children Louis or Providenza(Providence)?
Thanks,
Valarie
---

Naming patterns
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/News ... id=22.html
There has been a strong custom in Italy that determines how children are named:

The first male is named after his paternal grandfather.
The second male is named after his maternal grandfather.
The first female is named after her paternal grandmother.
The second female is named after her maternal grandmother.
vj
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 03 Dec 2009, 00:46

Ha! How funny! Serafina had 11 children and 2 of them are Louis and Providence! I never even thought of that. I wasnt sure about keeping the maiden name on the ship because when my other grandparents came over in 1911 they are on the ship manifest with the same last name. Im going to apply that custom of naming children when looking into my other relatives too! You have been so helpful!

Alicia
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby vj » 03 Dec 2009, 00:51

Alicia
I'm so glad we could help!
Since Providenza/Providence (prov*) is such an unusual name, when you get stuck looking for census records - try looking for children without last names (it eliminates all the misspellings and bad transcriptions).
It may help you locate Serafina's brothers
This really works well when you know a location
Please let us know if you get stuck
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 07 Dec 2009, 16:19

It says her last name was D'Amico but I have a question about this. It looks like on the manifest the D is a middle initial.

Also, I saw that there are the italian last names Ameco, Amico, D'Ameco and D'Amico...so Im not sure which one Im looking for. Is one a more popular surname for the sicilian region

Alicia
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby vj » 07 Dec 2009, 18:01

DeFilippis78 wrote:... I saw that there are the italian last names Ameco, Amico, D'Ameco and D'Amico...so Im not sure which one Im looking for. Is one a more popular surname for the sicilian region ...

This site may help - you can search by as few as 4 letters in a surname
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
vj
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 07 Dec 2009, 18:16

Thats an awesome website. Thanks so much!

Alicia
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby KittyCat1 » 12 Oct 2013, 21:43

Do you know the birth year of Serafina? My grandmother was from Nicosia born in 1892. Any chance they could be related? Her name was Maria Santa Basilotta.
kittyCat1
KittyCat1

11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy