Beninato/Benenati (sp??)/San Fratello

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Beninato/Benenati (sp??)/San Fratello

Postby gtpapa » 21 Dec 2009, 13:59

My grandfather was born in San Fratello Sicily and came to Cleveland Ohio around 1902. His name was Anthony Beninato (sp??) and he had a brother John who was married to Angela. They both settled in Garfiled Heights. I can find no information from San Fratello about either of them. I am looking for any potential relatives.

Guy Papa

Re: Beninato/Benenati (sp??)/San Fratello

Postby PeterTimber » 21 Dec 2009, 20:23

There are records of birth,marriage and death in San Fratello dating from 1820 to 1910 which you can research either here at your nearest Mormon church familyh history library at for location nearest you. You can also write to San Fratello with a form letterl obtained from ' ... tters.html

Youcan send the form letter to the Ufficio di Stato Civile in San Fratello by going to and scroll down to MUNICIPIO whichis the address you send your request. There is no charge as requesting documents are free. =Peter=

Postby pink67 » 22 Dec 2009, 21:17

Hi Guy :D

just for references and to try to help you in your research, are these records pertaining your relatives??

from the free site: ... 1004947398

Id#: 0422625
Name: Beninato, Anthony
Date: ?
Source: Plain Dealer; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #093.
Notes: Beninato. Anthony Beninato, beloved ?
Illus.: Y

Id#: 0422624
Name: Beninato, Angela
Date: Aug 28 1969
Source: Plain Dealer; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #093.
Notes: Beninato. Angela Berninato (nee Fa?), beloved wife of Anthony dear mother of Tony P., Frank, Sarah, Rose P? and Angela, beloved grandmother of 13 and great-grandmother of eight, sister of Rose Isbara and Bessle Abbote. Funeral services Friday, Aug. 29, at SS. Peter and Paul Church 9 a.m. Friends received at Golubski Funeral Home, corner Garfield Blvd. and Jurney Rd. Thursday 2-5 And 7-10 P.M.

From the free site: ... tml#p=home

Death certificate for:
John Benninoto, deat date January 14, 1926, age 1 year and 2? months, born in Ohio, son of Anthony Beninati born in Italy and Angela Fabia, born in Italy
Address was : 2370 East 37 street - Cleveland

certificate image:

Possible April 6, 1914 arrival manifest for Angela Fabia, age 18 (birth year 1896), single, last residence in Italy and place of birth Longi - Messina Province - Sicily region, travelling with her sister Basilia Fabia, age 23?, single... them both stated they were leaving in Italy (Longi) their father Francesco, they were joining their Aunt Antonina Zingales

image page 1: ... &line=0002

image page 2: ... &line=0002

I believe these are the two military enlistments for Anthony Beninati/o, from the site :

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Antonio Ben
Name: Antonio Ben
City: Cleveland
County: Cuyahoga
State: Ohio
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 24 Mar 1889
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1831770
DraftBoard: 9

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Tony Beninato
Name: Tony Beninato
Birth Date: 25 Mar 1888
Birth Place:
Residence: Cuy, Ohio
Race: White
Roll: WWII_2371587

John Benenati obit: ... 4-73611360
Id#: 0422441
Name: Benenati, John
Date: Jul 2 1971
Source: Cleveland Press; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #093.
Notes: Benenati. John Benenati, beloved husband of Angelino (nee Scotish), dearest father of Mrs. Effie Monastero, Mrs. Frances Buemi and Anthony, grandfather of 13, and great-grandfather of 16, dear brother of Anthony Benenati Mr. Benenati, entered into rest June 29. Services will be held Saturday, July 39 1971 of 55. Peters Paul Catholic Church at 9 A.M. Interment Calvary Cemetery. The family will receive friends a The Biondo & Sons Funeral Home, 5555 Bartlett Rd. (Corner Of Rockside And Bartlett) Visitation Hours 2-4 And 7-10 P.M. Friday

Possible 1930 census for John:

1930 United States Federal Census
about John Benento
Name: John Benento
Home in 1930: Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Angelina
Race: White

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John Benento 45 head, born in IT (Palermo :? ), immigr. year 1907, Alien
Angelina Benento 38 wife, born in IT (Palermo), immigr. year 1908, Alien
Tony Benento 6 son, born in Ohio
Effie Mayhorn 15 step-daughter, born in OH
Frances Mayhorn 13 step-daughter. born in OH
Frances Schallock 76 mother in law, widow, born in Italy (Palermo), immigr. year 1908, Alien

image: [img=]

Postby jbeninato » 04 Apr 2010, 16:56

I am also a "Beninato" looking for my families history....Have you had any further luck tracing your ancestors? My great grandfather came from Nicosia, Sicily in 1906 on board the Algeria to NYC. His name was Francesco Beninato and he may have already had a brother in NYC named Antonio Beninato when he arrived in port. He married a Nicolina Castello in 1908 and we lose track of him after that date. We also have reason to believe we may have family in Chicago as well. Any info that you care to share would be greatly apprecaited!
Jill Beninato

Return to “Italian Genealogy”