Madia's of Catanzaro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
harrisjh

Madia's of Catanzaro

Postby harrisjh » 23 Dec 2009, 00:42

I am hoping someone can help tell me where to locate a birth certificate for my great grandfather Domenico Madia. He was born in 1889 or 1890. I believe he was born in Savuci, which is a small village near Sorbo San Basile, Fossato Serralta and Sellia in Catanzaro. Savuci seems to be a ghost town, and always was an extremely small village. I have no idea where they might have filed the birth certificate. On one of his immigration records, it states that Domenico was born in Sellia (I know this wasn't the case), and on one it says he was born in Fossato. I think Fossato is the most likely location, but does anyone know for sure? Also, if in fact the record is located in Fossato, what are the chances they would look this record up for me without an EXACT date of birth? I have found a lot of conflicting information, but I am fairly certain he was born 26, 27, or 28 October in either 1889 or 1890. I would greatly appreciate some advice!!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Madia's of Catanzaro

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Dec 2009, 01:19

If you have the time, visit your local Family History Center and order the films for Fossato Serralta (births, marriages, and deaths 1866-1910). The films for Savuci seem to only cover B, M, D from 1810 - 1865. In the meantime, I would write to the commune and request the records you want. Give them as much information as you can and hope for the best.

This site http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/
will give you resources for how to write to Italy, etc.

It was recommended to me that before I looked at the films at the FHC I purchase or read "A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering your Italian Ancestors" by Lynn Nelson. This was an INVALUABLE resource. It helped me understand the documents from Italy whether I read them at the FHC or received them in the mail.

Good Luck!
T.

harrisjh

Postby harrisjh » 23 Dec 2009, 01:54

Thanks for the advice. I had seen that the Fossato records existed, but it looked like they only existed for the years 1809-1871. I didn't bother to click through to view the film notes. I read your note, went back to the site, and lo and behold there they were! If only the FHC weren't closed until 1/5. Oh well, I can be patient. Hopefully I find what i am looking for. Thanks again!

kmedia

Postby kmedia » 06 Jan 2010, 19:25

Do you by chance know the name of your great grandfather dad or his brothers. Our settled in PA and then in Canada. Could he have a brother named George?

harrisjh

Postby harrisjh » 06 Jan 2010, 20:08

My great grandfather actually took his mother's maiden name - which was Madia. I do not know his father's name, which is why I am searching for his birth certificate. I believe he was born out of wedlock. His mother's name was Anna Madia. They initially settled in Pittsburgh, PA. Anna had siblings Saveria and Antonio that I know of. Anna's father's name was Domenico Madia, and her mother's name was Mariangela Esposito. They would have been born in the 1830s or so.

esposit513

Postby esposit513 » 23 Mar 2010, 14:08

oh, wow! i was so excited when i saw your post. we are probably related. Yes, Savuci is a very, very, very small villiage. i visited it in march 2009 even though it was closed. i have pictures if you would like to see it. My great-grandfather was born there in 1887 (i think...i don't have my papers with me right now) and my grandfather was born there in 1914 last name Esposito. my grandfather came to US (Pittsburgh, PA) around 1927 with his father and brother. His mother and sisters stayed in Italy. It is my understandin the birth records were held at a church close by and there was a fire that destroyed all of the records. I have been trying to trace my geneology for years, but it basically stops there because that church held records for my great-grandparents. the other thing that makes it hard to trace my geneology is that my grandfather said that the lastname "esposito", which means with out spouse in italian was given to oprhans. He said when someonen couldn't take care of their child they would drop it off at the convent and they would be given the lastname "Esposito".

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Mar 2010, 19:42

FYI from JohnArmellino

"As a rule, an abandoned infant was not given the surname of his father, even if it was generally known who the father was. The anominity of the father and mother was preserved. In cases where the mother was known and did not abandon the child, the child was given the mother's surname. In cases where neither the mother or father was known, the town officials gave a surname to the child. In the case of your GGGF, he was given the surname Esposito, which means "of this place" and was a common surname given to abandoned children, especially in the Napoli area. He then passed that surname to his descendants."

gricce

Postby gricce » 05 Feb 2012, 05:46

I too have relatives from Catanzaro by the name of Madia. Wondering if you have been able to locate any documents since you first posted this. My great-grandmother was Maria Madia. Born 1904 and died 1988. She was married to Paolo Riccelli 1924. According to paperwork I've found, she was born in Fossato, Catanzaro and also married there. Did you have any luck finding documents and if so, where did you start? Thanks!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”