Looking for any known information about surname Rizzio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
familysearch

Looking for any known information about surname Rizzio

Post by familysearch »

Hello! I am in need of any information anyone has regarding the surname of Rizzio. I have located my Great Grandfathers ship mast on ellis island.org....I do not know what part of Italy he arrived from though. His name was Angelo Rizzio. The only descendents that anyone in my family is aware of is my Great Grandpa Angelo Rizzio and my Great Grandma Frances Scarlata (Rizzio).
I want to know my ancestory and have hit some brick walls persay....I have found many Rizzio's on my searches...of course the famous David Rizzio the secretary of Mary Queen of Scots of whom I don't know if we are related or not. I've also found draft documents from the civil war showing a Rizzio from the New Orleans Parish...I've found a marriage document in which I cannot translate to understand what it is except for the word marriage...Any assistance or information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Genealogy starts with the end and works backward. Obviously Angelo Rizzio came to the USA but his records are not complete but did you try to find his spouse Francesca Scarlata (were they married and came to the USA oir did she come here awith her family and met and married???)What dates are we talking about and where in Italy do they come from??? Rizzio are located in Sicily and in Piemonte and oither norther regions?? In Italy all records are in the town of origin...Can you find the town of orign?? Peter
familysearch

Post by familysearch »

First thanks for your response...as you can see I'm in need of some assistance from someone whom has experience with geneology :) Here's what I have found so far......Angelo Rizzio came over in 1895 into ellis island at the age of 19. No residence is showing on the mast, as you stated it is incomplete.... Francesca Scarlata is showing as being born in Illinois in 1883 and I have only found the surnames of her parents, not the given names. I don't know the names of Angelo's parents, and Angelo is showing as coming to the US on his own, without family. If they went by Italian naming tradition of their children, I have figured out what their parents names would have been, IF they followed tradition. I have no idea though where the town of origin would be for Angelo Rizzio and that's where I'm stuck! How can I find that out? Any suggestions?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is a record for Frances Rizzio born june 23,1883 . The social Security death index has the information on her. go to www.ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com and insert Frances Rizzio. When the screen comes up you will see her birth, death and place of last resdience as well as her social security number and then along the end under SS-5 you will click that a get a form leter asking for a copy of her original application which will show all her vital statistics as to date and place of birth, parents names and perhaps her husbands full name. The cost should be aboutr $30.00 but well worth it for the information. DidAngelo Rizzio serve in world war 1 in the USA? Did he ever become a naturalzied USC. Are there are fotos, postcards or family oral history about where he came from in Italy. Was he from Northern Italy or Sicily. Dig a little deeper into family records or old relatives. You have to know the town of origin for all history, records, documents and relatives who are still living there today! Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

HI: probable Angelo Rizzio coming from north Italy..it has left give Rotterdam (Holland)&Boulogne(French)..moreover someone Rizzio surname on ellis island from reading ship's manifest really are RICCIO and not Rizzio..But are also Rizzio surname from south Italy and Sicily ..

Rizzio surname are small diffusion in Italy. On Rizzio surname are know presence in Italy in 1561 an Gian Angelo Rizzio ambassador in Milan from Spain ..regards, suanj
familysearch

Post by familysearch »

Suanj---So the first known Rizzio presence in Italy was in 1561 and was the Ambassador of Milan, Gian Angelo Rizzio....and he was from Spain? I tried reading different articles about him on the internet, it's difficult to read the translations though.

The pronounciation of Rizzio is Riccio in Italy, yes? I've heard that before.....and it would have made it difficult when the immigrants arrived to America to have their correct surnames used.

Would Gian be prounounced like John? Or does it signify another meaning?
Thank you for your informative reply, you have really given me some more to look into.....any more info that you may have would be really great!

You live in Italy? Where?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

familysearch wrote:Suanj---So the first known Rizzio presence in Italy was in 1561 and was the Ambassador of Milan, Gian Angelo Rizzio....and he was from Spain? I tried reading different articles about him on the internet, it's difficult to read the translations though.

The pronounciation of Rizzio is Riccio in Italy, yes? I've heard that before.....and it would have made it difficult when the immigrants arrived to America to have their correct surnames used.

Would Gian be prounounced like John? Or does it signify another meaning?
Thank you for your informative reply, you have really given me some more to look into.....any more info that you may have would be really great!

You live in Italy? Where?
Hi:
Rizzio surname are an version of Riccio surname. Rizzio and Riccio are
some means in italian language (undulates hairs) . Currently he pronounciation of Rizzio not is Riccio in Italy, but in the ancient past, are same pronounciation in local area of italian region...
In fact there are other records to personages with Riccio last name and between inserted parenthesis also surname Rizzio... this means that on ancient documents to times it is written Riccio and to times is written Rizzio for an same person..these two last names are diversify in the time, but it must think that currently the Rizzio living in Italy is the descendants of more ancient branch of Rizzio family who have conserved just their last name...more are other version of Rizzio surname: Rizzo, Rizzi, Ricci..

On Gian Angelo Rizzio mentioned the 5 June 1561, are this record in italian language:" ...l'ambasciatore milanese
(spagnolo) Gian Angelo Rizzio....."
... http://castellina.org/bregaglia/riformata/storif11.htm
but first name Gian Angelo are also 2 italian name(...) Gian diminutive of Giovanni (John) and Angelo (Angel)...we do not know if he is an Italian called in Spain for being ambassador of Spain in Italy.
.. on webpage are declaredspanish ambassador in Ducato of Milan(little reign in this years)..in this webpage are narrates of alliance between Reign of Spain and the Pope, with joined in order to stop the been left of protestants in some localities near Milan(Chiavenna town, Bregaglia etc..)an in some localities in Switzerland area (Cantone of the Grigioni)...
yes ?'m italian living in Italy in Molise region..regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I thought you were stuck on finding the town of origin for Angerlo Rizzio?? I am confused. Perhaps Suanj can finish this off for you. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Dear peter, finding the town of origin for Angelo Rizzio, and any info on Rizzio surname . ..regards, suanj
familysearch

Post by familysearch »

Peter, thank you for the assistance that you have given me thus far, you gave me some avenues to search out that I didn't think of....it's amazing when you begin doing this genealogy of your family, you find out so much and than you have all of these fragmented pieces and don't know what to do with them all :) You have been of great help.

Suanj,
On that document http://castellina.org/bregaglia/riformata/storif11.htm
that you shared with me, if I'm understanding that right, Gian Angelo Rizzio was a Spanish Ambassador whom was called to Milan to reign as a Duke of Milan, not for very long though, maybe a matter of months.....is that right? This was right at the end of the Spanish war where they were trying to reform religion in that region, and he was presenting to the Pope this information with a Papal....would this be correct?
I also when looking at that document found where it said, "Angel from Cremona", is that saying that Angelo was residing in Cremona at that time?

From what I've read on Italian naming traditions, the first born son is named after his paternal grandfather, etc. etc. etc. When I look at a map of Italy, where the Milan area is and also where my Great Grandpa left for America, I think your earlier statement that Rizzio originated from Northern Italy would be right...and than gradually they migrated down the country to the south. In your opinion and genealogy experience, do you think that this Gian Angelo Rizzio was the namesake for my Great Grandpa Angelo Rizzio? And would have been his Great Great Grandpa?

Also, I found a document http://gamt.free.fr/Gamt_Mariages_120.html and it shows Italian marriages from somewhere in Italy and it is in Italian and is shows a Rizzio....I don't understand the rest though, could you tell me what it is that I have found?

You live in Italy, have you ever been to America?
Thank you for your time assisting me with all of this, you are awesome!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hi: on this document http://castellina.org/bregaglia/riformata/storif11.htm

the Spain and Catholic Church (Pope) is allies together, in order to fight diffuse protestants in Milan area and Switzerland area...is written that Gian Angelo Rizzio is Spanish ambassador near the Duke of Milan..I do not know if he is your ancestors....sure Rizzio surname are origin in north Italy, also David Rizzio coming from Torino area(Torino town, Pancalieri town, Moncalieri town, are different thesis http://www.vuoimangiareatorino.com/inte ... aggi19.htm

But on Fra'(monk) Angelo da Cremona, this are an monk religious..not are relationship with Gian Angelo Rizzio..I do not know other...I task Angelo Rizzio coming from north Italy, are an records on ellis island for Rizzio Italy's north: coming from Settimo Torinese but birthplace Valduggia(Vercelli province-Piemonte region)...more in yera your search' interest are Rizzio surname present also in Farigliano (Cuneo province Piemonte region)...for better search on origin's place Angelo Rizzio greater details are necessary.... tried on its marriage certificate..perhaps probable are profit info for you... regards suanj
if you can to obtain text manifest, from surname others passengers, can be understood origin area... :wink:
:roll: I never come in USA...
familysearch

Post by familysearch »

suanj,
try this link http://gamt.free.fr/Gamt_Mariages_120.pdf . The last link is incorrect.

So the best thing I can do now is to obtain the ship manifest for my Great Grandpa Angelo to know the exact place of origin. Noone in my family seems to know anymore than what I know, where he was born, etc.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

familysearch wrote:suanj,
try this link http://gamt.free.fr/Gamt_Mariages_120.pdf . The last link is incorrect.

So the best thing I can do now is to obtain the ship manifest for my Great Grandpa Angelo to know the exact place of origin. Noone in my family seems to know anymore than what I know, where he was born, etc.
Hi: my last link are correct, I've controlled...

http://www.vuoimangiareatorino.com/inte ... aggi19.htm
"...come Rizzio fosse venuto al mondo "intorno al 1500" ma a Torino. Altri lo vogliono, invece, nato in quel di Pancalieri, altri ancora a Moncalieri. Rizzio conobbe la Corte di Emanuele Filiberto a Nizza, e di là si mosse con il conte Solaro di Moretta, ambasciatore sabaudo presso la Corte di Scozia. Così si spiega la destinazione del menestrello che, con la propria intelligenza e con la voce - oltre che suonatore sembra fosse eccellente cantore - affascinò la regina Maria Stuarda, di cui divenne segretario, confidente, forse amante. Le invidie gli fiorirono intorno assai presto, al punto che alcuni cortigiani pensarono di sbarazzarsi di lui e per liquidarlo ordirono una congiura. Rizzio cadde nel castello di Holyroodhouse, pugnalato sotto gli occhi di Maria Stuarda, nel 1566. ..."etc

for your link are: Ritzio, Ritzo, Ritzzo, Rizzzo..task that the first one surname is similar, the others are a lot misspelled..ma are not italian surname, in Italy not to are nobody word with 3 equal ones letter(bbb, rrr, ttt, zzz). More for marriage, the italians emigrated they had to demand documents of birth in Italy...regards, suanj
familysearch

Post by familysearch »

Suanj,
Your link was correct...I miscommunicated what I was trying to say...

this link http://gamt.free.fr/Gamt_Mariages_120.pdf is one that I found on my genealogy search.....could you tell me what it is? There is a Rizzio listed....I am not sure what the document is though, it is in Italian....Could you translate what it is for me?

I appreciate ALL of your help on my search....
Tammy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

familysearch wrote:Suanj,
Your link was correct...I miscommunicated what I was trying to say...

this link http://gamt.free.fr/Gamt_Mariages_120.pdf is one that I found on my genealogy search.....could you tell me what it is? There is a Rizzio listed....I am not sure what the document is though, it is in Italian....Could you translate what it is for me?

I appreciate ALL of your help on my search....
Tammy
Hi: this website are in French language, I know.. are marriages in Tunisi town ( dominion french in Algeria country- Africa) between 1832/ 1901..., are coloumn of male, woman and name issue...yes are also an Rizzio..for access to Rizzio record it must subscribe... more, please visite this website:
http://www.geneanet.org/
and you insert Rizzio surname are 10 records USA/Italy/French and family tree online ..
regards, suanj