I cant find a ship manifest or 1900 census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

I cant find a ship manifest or 1900 census

Postby DeFilippis78 » 28 Dec 2009, 22:55

Im looking for my great great grandmothers ship manifest. Her maiden name is Josephine Cimarelli but married is Josephine Passaro. She supposedly arrived in 1893 from Italy. I have her 1910, 20, and 30 census. She lived in Jersey City, NJ for all of these censuses. She was married to Beniamino Passaro. Hes my link to dual citizenship but I need more info on his wife. Any tips? If she came over in 1893 why cant I find the ship or a 1900 census?

Alicia

vj
Master
Master

Re: I cant find a ship manifest or 1900 census

Postby vj » 28 Dec 2009, 23:05

Hi Alicia!
Just for everyone's reference, here's a previous post with some US records:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... art=0.html
---

If daughter Rose was born in Italy (see 1930 census)
Immigration should have been after 1894.
Have you considered ordering Rose's SS Application?
If she was born in Italy it should have the town on it.

SSDI
Rose Basile
Born: 27 August 1894
Died: July 1971
Last residences: Jersey City, Ellis Island and Greenville in Hudson County, NJ
SS# 152-20-xxxx NJ

Michael31
Master
Master

Postby Michael31 » 30 Dec 2009, 22:11

www.paginebianche.it
cognome: BASSAN dove: Faiano
cognome: PASSARO dove: Faiano
cognome: BASILE dove: Pontecagnano Faiano
cognome: CIMARELLI dove: Campania
cognome: CASSARO dove: Campania

84098 Faiano SA
http://www.comune.pontecagnanofaiano.sa.it/

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 30 Dec 2009, 23:31

Valerie, thanks for the tip. I will do that right away! :)

Michael, what does this mean? Im not good with Italian :oops:

Alicia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 30 Dec 2009, 23:45

DeFilippis78 wrote:Im looking for my great great grandmothers ship manifest. Her maiden name is Josephine Cimarelli but married is Josephine Passaro. She supposedly arrived in 1893 from Italy. I have her 1910, 20, and 30 census. She lived in Jersey City, NJ for all of these censuses. She was married to Beniamino Passaro. Hes my link to dual citizenship but I need more info on his wife. Any tips? If she came over in 1893 why cant I find the ship or a 1900 census?

Alicia

Just out of curiosity, where did Josephine and Beniamino wed?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 31 Dec 2009, 01:01

If we gave you the name of the ships that arrived in 1893 at NYC would that help? I know it may be a stretch for you but sometimes seeing a name of the ship may trigger off a reaction with you. =Peter=
~Peter~

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 31 Dec 2009, 02:27

delete

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 31 Dec 2009, 02:59

DeFilippis78 wrote:Hey boys! Heres the problem...I dont know if they married here or in Italy.

You may have addressed this already, so my apologies if I am off track here...

Have you obtained Beniamino's birth certificate from Italy yet? If he married there, there will be an annotation on the birth certificate which indicates the date and place the marriage was celebrated and the spouse's name.

If you have his Italian birth certificate and there is no such annotation, then they almost certainly married outside of Italy. If you don't have his Italian birth certificate, well, what are you waiting for? :)

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 31 Dec 2009, 03:07

Im not sure where he was born...thats the problem. On the ship manifest it says Napoli was the last place of residence. But he was already an adult when he came here so Im not sure if he was born in Napoli or moved there as an adult? He could have been born somewhere else and then moved to Napoli.

I got a death certificate that didnt say where hes from, just Italy. I am waiting for my index search request to come back from immigration hoping he was naturalized and they will have some more detailed paperwork on him.

Alicia

Michael31
Master
Master

Postby Michael31 » 31 Dec 2009, 10:06

www.paginebianche.it Italian white pages
Bassan is from Faiano other names are close by
Campania is a region only a few Cimarelli are listed.
www.ges.labo.net surname distribution map
Most names are in the Province of Salerno (and Napoli)

google translate works for most translations
not sure about Sicilian dialect or Italian slang words.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 31 Dec 2009, 14:28

Bassan isnt the actual name I was looking for. Thats how the censuses mispelled it. Its actually Passaro. And Basile is just the married name of Rose. So Im actually researching Passaro and Cimarelli. I checked out that region map and Passaro definitely is mostly in Campania. Interestingly enough though Cimarelli was most dense just outside of Rome.

Im wondering if the maps represent where the names are now or where they have been in Italy in general. Does anybody know if these maps represent the past also? Because I usually see a pattern of a husband and wives surname in the same region. But maybe its just coincidence

Alicia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 31 Dec 2009, 15:36

DeFilippis78 wrote:Im wondering if the maps represent where the names are now or where they have been in Italy in general. Does anybody know if these maps represent the past also? Because I usually see a pattern of a husband and wives surname in the same region. But maybe its just coincidence

Alicia

The mapping tool in question shows current data, most likely based on telephone listings, though that is just a guess on my part.

You might jump to the conclusion that Passaro originated in Campania where it is still most dense and emigrated to other parts of Italy over the decades. Of course, not everyone would agree on the validity of such a hypothesis.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 31 Dec 2009, 15:51

Well it did say that my grandfathers last residence was Napoli so I guess there is truth to it. I just dont know if that necssarily means he was born there. And as far as Cimarelli, I have no idea. Its a stumbling block for me.

Your theory makes sense. When I search every surname in my family it says that there are alot of them in the big cities like Roma and Milano. I know thats not where there from. Its just statistically probable that the names show up there because the population in those cities is huge. So thats where Im finding the inaccuracy. Its like searching for a last name in NYC. Theres millions of surnames of NYC but not meaning thats where there from. You know what I mean? Its a matter of me finding where the name was popular in the 19th century.

Alicia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 31 Dec 2009, 16:05

DeFilippis78 wrote:Well it did say that my grandfathers last residence was Napoli so I guess there is truth to it. I just dont know if that necssarily means he was born there. And as far as Cimarelli, I have no idea. Its a stumbling block for me.

Your theory makes sense. When I search every surname in my family it says that there are alot of them in the big cities like Roma and Milano. I know thats not where there from. Its just statistically probable that the names show up there because the population in those cities is huge. So thats where Im finding the inaccuracy. Its like searching for a last name in NYC. Theres millions of surnames of NYC but not meaning thats where there from. You know what I mean? Its a matter of me finding where the name was popular in the 19th century.

Alicia

Most people back in the horse-and-buggy-age did not stray far from their place of birth, so I suspect that he was born in or near Naples. The difficulty is that there are many comuni in the immediate vicinity of Naples and he could be from any one of them.

Your best bet is going to be those naturalization papers. Let's hope your Index Search request turns up something soon.

I have forgotton - do you have a birthdate for Beniamino? If so, why not take a shot at requesting his birth certificate from Comune di Napoli?

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 31 Dec 2009, 16:31

delete

Alicia

Return to “Italian Genealogy”