Certificate of poverty

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Certificate of poverty

Postby jwazevedo » 30 Dec 2009, 20:15

In thumbing through the Allegati for the marriage of one of my relatives in 1906, there is a certification that the couple were in a state of absolute poverty (istato di assoluta poverta). What is the implication of such a certificate? Does it release the couple from paying the various fees and taxes for the marriage documents (the "bollo")? Is there something else involved? In this particular case, the second paragraph with standard wording about the fees has been struck out, yet the main certification of poverty remains. I'd like to understand the story behind such certificates in the culture of the time.

Grazie,
Jerry

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Certificate of poverty

Postby PeterTimber » 31 Dec 2009, 02:05

go to Google.com for historic Italy poverty record certificates which may contain the references you seek. =Peter=
~Peter~

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jwazevedo » 31 Dec 2009, 19:08

Google is an amazing resource, of course. When I did a search, the first topic returned was your very own posting, Peter. Thumbing through the other results for a good while, in both English and Italian, informed me a good deal about poverty in Italy today, but I never did find anything about the significance of those certificates when applied to marriages around the turn of the last century. Google is pathetic at that sort of nuance. I think it takes a real human being, someone who lives there, most likely, to understand and convey that information. At least, that's my hope with this posting.

Ciao,
Jerry

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 31 Dec 2009, 19:30

You probably would be safe in assuming that certifcate of Poverty would confer a benefit upon the persons so certified or else why issue the document. The benefit would extend to either a cancellation of a debit, fee or tax of some sort and posdsibly make one eligible for a benefit.

If you are seeking specifics then I would consult the Catholic Encyclopedia. =Peter=
~Peter~

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 31 Dec 2009, 21:01

PeterTimber wrote:You probably would be safe in assuming that certifcate of Poverty would confer a benefit upon the persons so certified...

Perhaps makes their kids eligible for the school lunch program? :wink:

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 31 Dec 2009, 23:17

Love it Johnny, :lol:

I wonder if it is free or reduced price lunch. :wink:

On a serious note however, think of the implications of these records of poverty surviving for centuries. Will the same thing happen in our own society?

On another note, why would the Catholic Ency. have this info about civil records?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 31 Dec 2009, 23:30

Misbris I had looked thru this poverty certification on myfast browser and google without much perspective save for current stats and some gobbledygook about Mussolini and Czechloslovakian refugees.

It was a research recommendation to research The Catholic Encyclopedia as nothingmore than another lead to follow.....it's always the next step that you didn't take that has the answers. Happy New Year Misbris. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”