looking for Calogero Puleo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mommypuleo

looking for Calogero Puleo

Postby mommypuleo » 31 Dec 2009, 03:48

Hi everyone! I am new here and have had a GREAT time reading through some of the posts.
I am looking for my husbands great grandfather. Calogero Puleo. He was born in Sciacca, Scicily on Sept 16 1894. He came to the US about 1917. He married Mary Marinello in Norristown, Pennsylvania. His father's name was Francesco we believe. We know little about him other than what I have listed as he died when my husbands grandfather was a young boy. No one spoke of him after his death. I would like to see if I can find anything about him when he resided in Sciacca. Thanks so much in advance for any help you are able to give!
Becky

Michael31
Master
Master

Re: looking for Calogero Puleo

Postby Michael31 » 31 Dec 2009, 11:08

www.paginebianche.it
cognome: Puleo dove: Sciacca
Cognome: Puleo Nome: Calogero Dove: Sciacca
cognome: Marinello dove: Sciacca

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 31 Dec 2009, 14:11

mommypuleo wrote:Hi everyone! I am new here and have had a GREAT time reading through some of the posts.
I am looking for my husbands great grandfather. Calogero Puleo. He was born in Sciacca, Scicily on Sept 16 1894. He came to the US about 1917. He married Mary Marinello in Norristown, Pennsylvania. His father's name was Francesco we believe. We know little about him other than what I have listed as he died when my husbands grandfather was a young boy. No one spoke of him after his death. I would like to see if I can find anything about him when he resided in Sciacca. Thanks so much in advance for any help you are able to give!
Becky

hi,
by WWI draft registration card,Calogero declaring next of kin: father and brother
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Calogero Puleo
Name: Calogero Puleo
City: Norristown
County: Montgomery
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 16 Sep 1894
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1907347
DraftBoard: 1

arrival:
pag 1 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0008
father Francesco in Sciacca

pag 2 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0008
joining at Antonio BONO uncle in Norristown, Pa

for civil records you can try in Mormon's microfilms:
[url=http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subject=548509&subject_disp=Italy%2C+Agrigento%2C+Sciacca+%2D+Civil+registration&columns=*,0,0]Topic Italy, Agrigento, Sciacca - Civil registration

Titles Registri dello stato civile di Sciacca (Agrigento), 1820-1929 Sciacca (Agrigento). Ufficio dello stato civile [/url]
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 31 Dec 2009, 16:25

Link to image of suanj's WWI Draft Card find:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2550/zzcpuleowwi.jpg

Possible 1920 census for Calogero
living with the Antonio Bono family
Name: Charles Filea
[Charles Pulea]
Home in 1920: Norristown Ward 5, Montgomery, Pennsylvania
Estimated birth year: abt 1897
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Sex: Male
Year of Immigration: 1901
Household Members: Name Age
Antonio Bono 45
Philipa Bono 39
Mary Bono 9
Lena Bono 16
Pauline Bono 13
Charles Bono 14
Joseph Bono 8
Dominick Bono 5
Frank Bono 4
Charles Filea 23 laborer woolen mill
Dago Filea 24

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

mommypuleo

Postby mommypuleo » 31 Dec 2009, 16:40

BIFF!!! That is him!! Thank you so much. I have tried alternate spellings and looking for ANtonino...but to no avail! This may help! Thank you!!!

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 31 Dec 2009, 17:26

You're welcome.

Not sure if you have this 1930 census for Mary Puleo and son Frank, born about 1923, living with Mary's father and her siblings.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/3599/zzpuleo1930.jpg

Since Calogero was single in 1920, their marriage would have occurred between 1920 and 1923. Have you tried to locate a copy of their marriage license from Montgomery county and/or their church marriage record, or a death certificate for Calogero?

edited to add:
Montgomery County Vital Statistics Repositories

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

mommypuleo

Postby mommypuleo » 31 Dec 2009, 19:48

Yes Biff I do have that and I have not been able to locate marriage or death certificates for him. I have to visit the cemetary where he is burried to find out his death date. I will have to look more closely for the marriage certificate now knowing that he was single in 1920. They did have twins that died before my husband's grandfather....so I would assume that they were married right around the time that census was taken. Thanks again for your help!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”