Vergottini family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mapule

Vergottini family

Postby mapule » 01 Jan 2010, 14:51

Hi Everyone

I am looking for the origins of Vergottini. I know that a Guiseppe Vergottini went to South Africa in 1815/17 and married a Jacoba Redelinghuys in 1818 in Paarl in the Cape of Good Hope, South Africa. i am trying to trace his ancestry. He was born on 9 may 1792 and it is thougth that that may have been Milan but I am also following the possibility that it may have been in Istria - like Rovinj because there was a guiseppe Vergottini who was Vice Prefect during the French occupation in 1809 and it is thought that he may have been My Vergottini's father.

Any suggestions or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Charlene

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Vergottini family

Postby PeterTimber » 01 Jan 2010, 15:21

VERGOTTI (not vergottini) is a derived Italian surname listed inthe Italy Surname Dictionary and is found thruout Italy but is of SICILIAN origin when written as VIRGA. The basic name is VERGA.

If you wish to pursue the Istria connection to your family thenyour best bet is to write to the ROVINJ (Rovigno)Parish at Rovinj from 1571 to 1902.The address is Giuseppe Garibaldi 1 and the telephone number in Croatia is (052) 815615.

fOR YOUR ASSISTANCE: rodeni=BIRTH, vjencani=MARRIAGE AND umrli=DEATH

Istria county for your information is at www.flagspot.net/flags/hr-pn.html

If you need additional information or addresses for documents in Italy then get backto us. I assume youwent thru the Mormon www.familysearch.org under ancestor search for theinformation you provided. =Peter=
~Peter~

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 01 Jan 2010, 16:06

The surname Vergottini is typical of Bellano (Lecco Province) and of the Lecco province itself, there are some presences of the name in the Milano Province and also a branch in Canicatti, Sicily region.
Info about Giuseppe De Vergottini, Vice prefect in Rovigno, may be found at http://digilander.libero.it/arupinum/chrono1.htm

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 01 Jan 2010, 16:42

You might also wish to send an e-mail to the Research Center archives for Rovigno at info@csrv.org =Peter=
~Peter~

mapule

Postby mapule » 01 Jan 2010, 18:44

Thanks - I have been in contact with csrv and they referred me to Prof Giuseppe De Vergottini but I have not had a response from him as yet, he is probably very busy. And the archives in SA although having quite a bit of documentation do not have the parentage of the Vergottini that I am looking for.

I know about the Vergottini palazzo and castle -Porec Bishops etc. I have been looking for about 3 years now but not speaking or reading Italian doesn't help.

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I will keep on looking.
8)
Charlene

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 01 Jan 2010, 19:25

Have you thought about applying tothe comune in Italy most likely to have a birth,marriage or death record? Its free and easy to do with form letters which you can find at
www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html

=Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”