Simonetti/Simonette family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
christi28

Simonetti/Simonette family

Postby christi28 » 05 Jan 2010, 22:22

My name is Christine Simonette. I started doing genealogy and learned my last name might be Simonetti. The problems I am having is this: On the Utah 1920 census I found the only solid information on my paternal grandfather, is listed as John Simonetti and he was born in Italy in 1896. Clearly, if he was born in Italy, he wouldn't be named John. I found a Giovanni Simonetti that was in Ellis Island a couple years before showing up in Utah. My Grandfather, Henry Simonette was born in Summit County, Utah in 1927-my great-grandfather from what we've heard, died in a mining accident in Nevada in 1929. I can find absolutely nothing about a mining accident there, I can't find any death records of a John Simonette/Simonetti or a Giovanni Simonetti during that time frame. The only info I have about him, he was a miner in Utah in the 1920's. He worked at the silver mine in Park City, Utah and perhaps a mine in Tooele, Utah-then he just is gone. On the census, it shows he naturalized in 1918 (though, I'm not sure how accurate this is). On it, it is signed Simonetti, and I wonder if that is the accurate spelling, or if his accent would have been interpreted to Simonetti but Simonette is accurate. He lists his mother and father as being Italian, but no town or region is listed. He John/Giovanni married an Elizabeth Adamson. I did find a military registration card with a Giovanni Simonetti in Ophir Tooele-which is where my uncle was born. My grandfather was born in Summit county.

Over the years we've tried to talk to my grandfather asking ANYTHING about our family, he becomes irate and refuses to answer. His brother also reacted the same way. Both saying, "we don't talk about our family". So, this all leads to one big fat dead end.

I just don't know if someone has a suggestion, or someplace I can possibly look. My family tree has a HUGE dead end, and I also wonder about my last name. I want to honor my family, and would like my name to be correct. I appreciate any advice or help.

Thank you

vj
Master
Master

Re: Simonetti/Simonette family

Postby vj » 05 Jan 2010, 22:38

Welcome to the Forum!
Is this the WWI Card that you were referring to?
Thank you
Valarie

1917 WWI Draft Registration Card
Giovanni Simonetti 21
Ophir, Tooele County, Utah
born on 19 Aug 1895 in Cortale (Province of Catanzaro, Region Calabria)
single

christi28

Postby christi28 » 05 Jan 2010, 22:44

Yes! That and the 1920 census are all I can find-but they are different names. That registration card is for Giovanni Simonetti, and the census is John Simonetti. I am sure they are the same person, but then he is just gone-no more records.

Thank you so much for your quick response!! I am so glad I found this page, because I was just at a complete loss.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Jan 2010, 22:51

Dear Christine why don't you familiarize yourself with the contents of Italian Genelaogy Research so that you can ask specific how to questions from any of us.

www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html and perhaps you may wish to write to the town of originin Italy for records by using form letters in Italian at:
www.angelfire.com/0k3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html =Peter=
~Peter~

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 05 Jan 2010, 23:02

Christine, another question for you:

John and Elizabeth Adamson Simonette
Children were Ben Wiiliam (1925-2003), Henry (1927), Edward, and Virginia?
Was Ben William Simonettte the oldest?

Thank you
Valarie

christi28

Postby christi28 » 05 Jan 2010, 23:12

Yes, I believe him to be the oldest. This side of our family is sadly, not close. I do believe Ben was the first born. Also, I don't think Edward and Virginia are his biological children, since he "died" in 1929. I think Elizabeth was married after my great grandfather left.

My mother had told me that he has served in the Italian military, but I don't know about the accuracy of that, or where one could even search, especially since information on him is limited and only what I have complied. I was working on the family tree and just couldn't seem to get further with my great grandpa. I just wasn't sure if someone had run into problems like this, and what they did to solve it.

Thanks so much for your help!

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 05 Jan 2010, 23:26

from this site:
http://digitalnewspapers.org/

Salt Lake Telegram 24 Sep 1931
Births
SIMONETTE
John and Elizabeth Victoria Adamson Simonette,
233 East Seventh South Street,
son

you may be able to find other articles on your family
---

In 1930 Elizabeth Adamson Simonette is in Salt Lake
- running a boarding house at 553 East Sixth South Street (she rents the house for $65 mo)
- listed as head of house, widow
- there are no children on the census

1930 census

Valarie

christi28

Postby christi28 » 05 Jan 2010, 23:53

Do you think in the 1930's census, the name is spelled Simonetti-it isn't clear to me. If not, somewhere between 1920 and 1930, it was changed. I wish I knew if the Simonetti in Ophir and this John are one in the same. I don't even know where to begin, if I don't even know his real name. That is a fun database, with the birth of a son. I have never seen it, so I appreciate you locating that. The address certainly gives a starting point. Thank you!!

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 06 Jan 2010, 00:07

I believe the correct spelling would be SIMONETTI.

Checking the following site returned a negative result in Italy with the name ending in E, yet hundreds of results using the I.

To see the results for yourself, enter the surname in cognome, hit the red arrow and this will bring up a map showing surname distribution:

http://www.gens.labo.net/

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 06 Jan 2010, 00:11

Hello wldspirit!
I forgot about that great site when I typed up the following note
Valarie

---

Christine
By using this site and doing a partial name search in Calabria: simon
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
it appears that both Simonetti and Simonetta are possibilities
(in Cortale, currently it's Simonetta)

Have you tried ordering a marriage record from Tooele County?
It should have the bride & groom's parents' names
Witness names could provide more clues

Valarie

christi28

Postby christi28 » 06 Jan 2010, 00:12

That is an interesting map-no E's for sure...why change it then? Sorry, just thinking out loud. My grandfather, well all of us go by Simonette...interesting. And Giovanni does translate to John. There are a ton of Simonetti's. There is a photo of a Pasquale Simonetti, and to look at his ears and mine, they are identical. The problem-he died in 1954 in Italy. I wonder if I should focus on him and see if I can find more info. Again, thanks for the help. I have been running in circles for a year-you have all given me more than I found.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 06 Jan 2010, 00:18

Spelling changes were exceptionally common...most Americans couldn't spell the Italian names....example my surname of Cupi has been spelled as KUPE, CUPE, CUPPE, CUPPI, KUPI, KUPPI and KUPPE....so you see it can get very confusing!!

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 06 Jan 2010, 00:29

a possible clue?

two other Simonetta/e/i from Cortale in Tooele County

1917 WWI Card
Antonio Simonetta/e/i
11 Feb 1887 in Cortale
- married

and

1917 WWI Card
Joe (Giuseppe) Simonetta/e/i
13 Mar 1889 in Cortale
- single

christi28

Postby christi28 » 06 Jan 2010, 00:48

How interesting! If you look at the one for Giovanni, Joe and Antonio-it lists the same place as where they are from. Joe signed his name Simonetti. Antonio signed Simonetta. That is crazy! so, they went from Ophir to Summit county between 1925 and 1927 (since my great-uncle was born in Ophir in 1925 and my grandpa was born in Summit County in 1927). Then he just disappears...I will follow those other two names, see where it leads.

christi28

Postby christi28 » 06 Jan 2010, 00:53

Thinking back, my mom has mentioned an uncle Joe, and perhaps being in a more seedy lifestyle...

Return to “Italian Genealogy”