VALENTE- marriage certificate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
EmmaG

VALENTE- marriage certificate

Post by EmmaG »

I'm trying to find a marriage certificate for my great-parents, Silvestro and Jean Valente, neé Munro. The problem is I don't know when (the specific date, not just the year) or where they were married.

My great-grandfather emigrated to Scotland from Italy and lived in Glasgow for some time, showing up 'single' on the 1901 Scottish Census. He later moved to Belfast with my great-mother but I don't know if they were already married when they left Glasgow or not.

In the 1911 Irish Census they'd been married for 6 yrs. From that census I can only presume they were married sometime in the yr 1905. I cannot order a certificate if I do not know this information. Any help is much appreciated,

Emma.
ursulamezza
Rookie
Rookie

Re: VALENTE- marriage certificate

Post by ursulamezza »

Hi Emma

Even if you don't know the exact date, you can approximate from the info you have and ask for a search to be undertaken. In Northern Ireland, the General Register Office will carry out a search over a 5 year period (cost £6) which will tell you if your GGParents married in Belfast. You'll pay more to get a copy of a certificate. Presumably, the Register Offices in Glasgow and Dublin will offer a similar service. Have a look at http://www.groni.gov.uk/index/downloada ... cation.htm to see the application form which can be submitted on-line.

Ursula
EmmaG

Re: VALENTE- marriage certificate

Post by EmmaG »

Thank you for your help Ursula. I'll have a look at the link you provided and hopefully I'll be able to get a copy of their marriage certificate soon. Many thanks, Emma.