Di Campli, Trivilino, Gambescia and Staniscia in Lanciano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
34mare76

Re: Di Campli, Trivilino, Gambescia and Staniscia in Lancian

Post by 34mare76 »

Hey there, been quiet for awhile.
I've just found some info on Rosa Staniscia on microfilm this past week. Great timing!

Parents Camillo born: c.1820; married 2 May1852 to (Maria) Carolina Angellotti, b: c. 1826. (Some doc. show Maria, some don't). His first wife was Rosa Angellotti who died 4 years after their marriage. Children: Giovanni b: 21Oct1852, died: 24Oct1852; Rosa b: 1May1856. Camillo's parents: Luigi b: c.1781, Rosa Giardino b: c. 1780.

(Maria) Carolina Angellotti's parents: Giovanni b: c.1792; Columba di Biase b: c.1791.

I haven't finished reviewing the film, I'm sure there's more info. I have another film, hopefully with Camilla's info. Will let you know..

My mother told me that my grandparents were first cousins, which would make Camilla and Rosa sisters. Haven't proven that yet. Maybe they were twice removed or something!
Mare
34mare76

Post by 34mare76 »

Well, no Camilla. I've requested another film today. Will let you know what I find. I'm not sure the Rosa Staniscia I found with ancestors is correct. Time to send a bunch of letters...

Mare
sorrydude

Post by sorrydude »

Mare,

I still haven't heard back for the state archives, maybe they took a month off for the world cup.

Going through records, I haven't been able to find anything for a Camilla Staniscia during the right time period.

I did try looking for Rosa and found an interesting possibility different from the lead you were following. It is actually for a Rosaria Staniscia.

I followed it as far back as I could. This way if we find either to be correct, we will already have a lot of the information that goes with it.

I'll list it like I have before, using Rosaria Staniscia as generation one.

Generation I
Rosaria Staniscia was born 24 May 1857 in Lanciano to Camillo Staniscia and Pasqua Luciani. Her parents married 27 Dec 1855 in Mozzagrogna. She had a younger sister who died as an infant, Nicola Maria and a younger brother Nicola.

Generation II
Camillo Staniscia was born 17 Nov 1820 in Mozzagrogna to Raffaele Staniscia and Rosaria Della Zizza. His parents married 30 Jun 1814 in Mozzagrogna. He had an older sister who died as an infant, Rosa Angiola and three younger brothers that were all named Falco and all died as infants.

Pasqua Luciani was born 19 Dec 1832 in Mozzagrogna to Leonardo Luciani and Maria Antonia Scarinci. Her parents married 20 Nov 1825 in Mozzagrogna. She had two older brothers Domenico Antonio and Michele. She also had two younger brothers Luigi and Nicola Vincenzo.

Generation III
Raffaele Staniscia was born in 1791 to Domenico Antonio Staniscia and Eufemia Cianfrone. He had two younger sisters Lucia and Apollonia. He also had two younger brothers Carmine and Giuseppe.

Rosaria Della Zizza was born in 1788 to Falco Della Zizza and Crescenza Musa. She had an older brother Donato Angelo and a younger sister Lucia.

Leonardo Luciani was born in 1806 to Domenico Antonio Luciani and Rachele Orfeo. He had an older brother Luigi and and younger sister Nicola Maria.

Maria Antonia Scarinci was born in 1805 to Nicola Scarinci and Albina Taddei. She had four younger sisters Gelsumina, Camilla, Alesandra and Francesca. She also had a younger brother Vito Angelo.

Generation IV
Domenico Antonio Staniscia was born in 1755 to Carmine Staniscia and Lucia Unknown. He had an older brother Amadio and a younger sister Concetta.

Eufemia Cianfrone was born in 1770 to Domenico Antonio Cianfrone and Angiola Staniscia. She had a younger brother named Achille.

Falco Della Zizza was born in 1749 to Nicola Giovanni Della Zizza and Felicia Dragani. He had one older brother Francesco and one younger brother Vincenzo.

Crescenza Musa was born in 1760 to Clemente Musa and Lucia Della Cioppa. I have no other information about her.

Domenico Antonio Luciani was born in 1766 to Michele Luciani and Pasqua Cianfrone. He had a younger brother named Vincenzo.

Nicola Scarinci was born in 1785 to Ermenegildo Scarinci and Rosa Orfeo. He had a younger brother named Sabatino.

Albina Taddei was born in 1779 to Alessio Taddei and Carmela Di Casoli. She had an older sister named Angela Teresa.

Generation V
Pasqua Cianfrone was born in 1738 to Berardino Cianfrone and Berardina D'Angelo. I have no other information about her.

Rosa Orfeo was born in 1753 to Giuseppe Orfeo and Elisabetta Della Cioppo. I have no other information about her.
34mare76

Post by 34mare76 »

Hey Justin,

That's a lot of info, however, it isn't the right Rosa. On my grandmother's birth cert. (B: 22 Jul 1887) Rosa is listed as her mother at age 31. That puts her being born in 1856. On Rosa's birth cert. She was born on 1 May 1856. Also, my mother said Rosa's mother's name was Carolina. The rest is still puzzling: Rosa was the only daughter of 5 children. So Camilla must be a 1st cousin once removed. Or however that goes. Anyway I didn't fine Camilla on any of the films I looked at. I do have a couple more waiting for my review. I've been ordering films from surrounding communes looking for her. I'm looking in Mozzagrogna and Fossacesia now.

I got a response, for my request of the family of my grandfather, Giuseppe Di Carlo and Rosa, and family. They sent me a copy of his military registration the gives me his parents and his wife Rosa Staniscia. That's it. Some help!

Rosa's father is Camillo Staniscia, b. 15 Mar 1820 in Scorciosa. Mother is Carolina Angellotti, b. 04 Nov 1826

I'll keep you posted.
Mare
sorrydude

Post by sorrydude »

Mare,

I also did some research on that family. I'll show you what I have starting with Camillo Staniscia

Generation I
Camillo Staniscia was born 15 Mar 1820 to Luigi Ermenegildo Staniscia and Rosa Giardino. He married Rosa Angellotti on 02 Dec 1844. She died 05 Mar 1848. He then married Maria Carolina Angellotti on 20 Apr 1852.

Rosa Angellotti was born 15 Jun 1819 to Berardino Angellotti and Antonia Pocetti.

Maria Carolina Angellotti was born 04 Nov 1826 to Giovanni Mattia Angellotti and Colomba Di Biase. I have found one older brother named Domenico.

Generation II
Luigi Ermenegildo Staniscia was born about 1779 to Saverio Staniscia and Camila Pellicciotta. He died 22 Aug 1863. I have found one younger brother, his name is Giovanni Nobile Antonio.

Rosa Giardino was born about 1780 to Antonio Giardino and Colomba Impicciatore. She died 24 Jul 1863. I haven't found any siblings yet.

Giovanni Mattia Angellotti was born about 1795 to Lodovico Angellotti and Anna Antonia Staniscia. I have found one older sister named Agata.

I have no information for Colomba Di Biase except that she must have died before 1832. I know this because Giovanni remarried to a Anna Saveria Paone on 06 Jul 1832.

Generation III
Saverio Staniscia was born about 1754 to Giovanni Staniscia and Barbara Staniscia. I think no one knew her maiden name because this came from the death certificate for Saverio. He died 28 Nov 1840. I have no information about siblings.

The only information I have for Camila Pellicciotta is that she was born about 1749 and that she died 05 Jun 1809.

The only information I have for Antonio Giardino is that he was born about 1754.

The only information I have for Colomba Impicciatore is that she was born about 1758.

The only information I have for Lodovico Angellotti is that he was born about 1759 and that he died 06 Sep 1812.

The only information I have for Anna Antonia Staniscia is that she was born about 1756 and that she died 28 Feb 1826.

Generation IV
The only information I have are the names Giovanni Staniscia and Barbara.

I still have nothing on Camilla, but I am still hopeful.

Thanks for helping me, it is easier to work with someone else.

Take care,

Justin
34mare76

Post by 34mare76 »

Hi Justin,

Have you heard back from Italy? I wrote a couple of letters and didn't get any more info than I already had. I have one outstanding letter left. I hope this response has the info we want. If not I guess I'll write to the parishes.

Take care,
Mare
sorrydude

Post by sorrydude »

Mare,

I moved to Seoul, South Korea in early August. By that time, I did not receive a response to the letters I had sent. I guess that even through September I didn't because I had my mail forwarded to my parents home and they never told me anything arrived from Italy. Once things settle down for me a little more here, I plan to continue trying to find information. Thanks for keeping in touch.

Take care,

Justin
34mare76

Post by 34mare76 »

Hey,

So you're the one causing all that trouble. Been transfered?
I haven't gotten much further in my search either... They are probably busy talking aboout Berllusconi and his mistress. It's supposed to be all the talk of Italy these days. I'll let you know if I here anything.

Enjoy Seoul. Gather up all the culture you can.

Stay in touch
Mare
sorrydude

Camilla Staniscia

Post by sorrydude »

Mare,

Did you ever hear back with any information about her?
My ability to do research here in Seoul has been greatly diminished.
I decided to resort to the last possible thing I could think of, I sent emails to the Lanciano and Chieti Civil Records Offices. I don't expect any response, but am desperate to find something about her and the family line.
Life has been exciting here, from the border clash when I first got here to the tragedy in Japan recently.
I hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Justin
34mare76

Post by 34mare76 »

Hi Justin, Great to hear from you. Glad you're doing fine with all that's going on.
I haven't heard a thing! I gave up on expecting to hear from them. It's been 5 months!
Instead I've been searching for my grandfather's (Giovanni Trivilino) trips from Italy to Canada. He came twice. I found the last trip in 1910, but not the first. Canada lists the passenger ships by year and arrival. So I've been looking at a gazzillion records. Luckily they are available on line from the Canada Archives, so, I can take my time.
I have one location left to look for Rosa and Camilla - San Vito Chieti.
I've been taking Italian language courses at UNCW. Hopefully I'll go there and look for myself. It's so frustrating.
Stay safe. Stay in touch.
Mare
sorrydude

Canadian search

Post by sorrydude »

Mare,

I don't know if it will produce any help for us, but one thing I had found was an arrival at Ellis Island for a Nicola Trivilino whose final destination was Montreal. He was going to stay with his brother in law Antonio Staniscia. This was in 1904 and Nicola was 48 years old and from Lanciano. It's possible that they could be relatives of ours. Unfortunately, we don't know anything about Camilla's siblings nor do we know a year of birth for Nicola. I'm just providing this information in case you want to look into the Canadian Archives, or point me in the write direction to look at them and see what I can find.

Take care,

Justin
sorrydude

Stretching too far?

Post by sorrydude »

I don't know if this is a sign that I'm getting too desperate and trying to stretch the information too far or if this is a likely connection.

On 27 Mar 1904, The Citta di Milano arrived at Ellis Island. The ship had departed Italy from the port of Naples. On the ship was a 48 year old man (making him born around 1856) from Lanciano, named Nicola Trivilino. His final destination was Montreal, Canada to join his brother in law Antonio Staniscia.

Although I don't know the exact birth year of the Nicola Trivilino who married Camilla Staniscia, the date on the ships manifest would put him at a proper age to be the father of Giovanni, Giuseppe and Adele.

Additionally, when I was looking for information on Rosa Staniscia, I found that she had a younger brother named Antonio born in 1960. This could be evidence that the idea of Rosa and Camilla being sisters is correct. I know you said that Rosa was the only daughter of 5 children, but maybe Camilla was a half sister. Have you heard any stories about who was older?

If there is any way to verify that this Antonio is the one born in Scorciosa on 29 Jul 1860, I think it would pretty much put most of the pieces together.

We still wouldn't know exactly when Camilla was born, nor would we know if her mother was Camillo Staniscia's first or second wife. But, we would be able to say with pretty high certainty that it was at least the right family.
sorrydude

Dead End?

Post by sorrydude »

I was looking at my papers, notes and our talk on this forum.
When I was rereading, I found where you said that Rosa was the only daughter of 5 children... Somehow, I had missed that before. I looked and I have the names and birth dates of all five.

Berardino, born 18 Dec 1849
Giovanni, born 24 Oct 1852
Rosa, born 01 May 1856
Antonio, born 29 Jul 1860
Vincenzo, born 08 Feb 1864

One interesting thing though, Berardino was born long before Camillo and Carolina were married.

And I don't think Camilla could have been a half sister after looking through what I have.

Camillo and Rosa had two sons in the four years of their marriage, though it is possible they had a third child, I think it is unlikely.

Carmine, born 18 Dec 1845 and died 15 Aug 1846
Carmine, born 12 Jan 1848 and died 01 Feb 1848

If this is the right Rosa Staniscia, it is very unlikely that Camilla was a sister.

However, it might not be a dead end.

Camillo Staniscia had an older brother named Loreto Alfonso. Loreto Alfonso married one Diana Angellotti. I'll have to do some searching, but maybe Diana and Carolina were sisters. If they are sisters, we would have brothers marrying sisters, maybe their children were raised basically as siblings too.

I did have a thought about Camilla, do you think it is possible that on her birth record she was listed as Maria and was actually Maria Camilla Staniscia?

One last remark for now, the Staniscia's and Angellotti's in Scorciosa intermarried very often it looks like.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hi! I would like to inject my two cents in acquiring information from the civil records offices and/or Archives.

After sending many emails with no response I finally resorted to writing letters. Amazing! It took some time but I began getting responses to the letters. I know I have received emails from the various comunes but to request information I have found it is better to write the letter. With so many form letters out there in Italian the process is somewhat simplified.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
34mare76

Post by 34mare76 »

Justin,
According to Family Search the family Rosa was born to (Camillo S. & Maria Carolina Angellotti) did have a son named Antonio born 29Jul1860. But I also found an Antonio Staniscia forn 21Apr1860 whose parents are also Camillo & M.C. Angellotti.
Forgive me, I'm confused, if Antonio is Rosa's brother, how could that be evidence that Camilla & Rosa are sisters? I don't follow....
Nicola Trivilino on the ship's manifest is the right age (I have c. 1855) but he never left Italy as far as I know.
Based on the birth cert. I have for Giovanni Trivilino B: 1Nov1886 it states that Camilla, daughter of Camillo, was 20 when she gave birth. That puts her birth around 1866. I tried all forms of spelling and added names, too.
Some add'l info for you: My mother told me Nicola T. & Camilla S. had 13 children, only 3 lived! So don't be surprised if you come across something odd.