Pacchiori / Angeli (Trieste)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DarqEve

Pacchiori / Angeli (Trieste)

Postby DarqEve » 12 Jan 2010, 13:44

Hi all,

I have gotten stuck trying to trace my ancestry past my great-grandparents.

What I do know:

Giusto Pacchiori (6 December 1885 - 29 march 1976) born and (I assume) died in Trieste - I have no further information on him other than he had two sisters (Emma and Nanni) and one brother (Ernesto). His original surname could have been Pahor or Pacor.

Ida Angeli (24 November 1885 - 10 August 1961) born and died in Trieste - she had three sisters (Antonietta, Ersilia and Olga) and three brothers (Ugo, Dante and Mario).

Any thoughts on how to proceed from here??
I live in South Africa.

Thanks for any assistance

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Pacchiori / Angeli (Trieste)

Postby johnnyonthespot » 12 Jan 2010, 14:09

My first reaction was, "Pahor? Pacor? Those aren't Italian names!

But it turns out that they are both quite common in Trieste as seen in the Italian telephone directory. Meanwhile, Pacchiori is non-existant in modern Italy. Who'd of thunk?

Anyway, you seem to have more accurate information for Ida, so I would suggest following that route. Use one of the form letters found here or here and write to Trieste requesting Ida's birth and marriage certificates. Her marriage certificate will give you Giusto's correct name, date, and place of birth.

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Trieste
passo Costanzi 2 - piano II
34100 Trieste TS
Italy

The difficulty you may run into is the possibility that Ida was born not in Comune di Trieste (the city) but in Provincia di Trieste, a province which contains six separate comuni (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Trieste). In the end, you may need to write to each of these comuni tbefore locating the correct one.

DarqEve

Postby DarqEve » 12 Jan 2010, 14:19

It's my understanding that my great grandfather changed the surname to Pacchiori (under Fascist rule) and my grandfather was their only son... when he passed away (in 2001), and having borne no male children (only my mom) the surname died out.

I suspect names like Pacchioni, or Pecchiari may somehow be related (but not in my family)

Thanks for your response, will attempt to write to the Comune.

Thanks

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 12 Jan 2010, 14:33

johnnyonthespot wrote:...
The difficulty you may run into is the possibility that Ida was born not in Comune di Trieste (the city) but in Provincia di Trieste, a province which contains six separate comuni (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Trieste). In the end, you may need to write to each of these comuni tbefore locating the correct one.

As I thought more about this, it crossed my mind, "Only six comuni? Lucky for you, that number seems to be correct. Compare to a few other Italian provinces:

Cosenza - 155 comuni
Roma - 121 comuni
Frosinone - 91 comuni
Bologna - 60 comuni

DarqEve

Postby DarqEve » 12 Jan 2010, 14:35

Lucky me indeed!!!

DarqEve

Postby DarqEve » 19 Jan 2010, 14:19

Just an update...
Haven't received a reply from the comune di Trieste yet... however a cousin I didn't even know existed has made contact and given me extra details. It seems that even though we don't know Giusto Pacchiori's original surname yet I have found out that his parents' names were Stefano Pacor/Pahor and Maria Ferluga.
How exciting is that????

Return to “Italian Genealogy”