LONDON - 1891 - DID YOU HAVE ITALIAN ANCESTORS THERE?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

LONDON - 1891 - DID YOU HAVE ITALIAN ANCESTORS THERE?

Postby carolinechurch » 15 Jan 2010, 00:57

While on my search for CIACCIA I have come across 34 pages of the 1891 London census where almost every household in the streets surveyed was Italian!
The area is St Andrews Holborn.
There were dozens of ice cream vendors, street musicians and asphalt workers.
Just a few of the names: GONDOLFO, FUCONI, BELTRAMI, BRAGOLI, VERAL, RICCIO, NOVELLI, TOMASSO, RAEMONDI, PALMERINO, BERNARDO, AMATE, REBECHINI, PONCELLE, FUCONI, ZUCCANI, PERAGOLI, CALAFOIRE, LUSARDI, CORSI. There are hundreds....
I'm happy to have a look for anyone interested, it may take me a while, but if you ask I'll check.
Caroline.
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.

carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Re: LONDON - 1891 - DID YOU HAVE ITALIAN ANCESTORS THERE?

Postby carolinechurch » 15 Jan 2010, 01:12

I just googled the area out of interest and came up with this link:

http://www.victorianlondon.org/publications4/low-09.htm

A very judgemental but interesting piece of Victorian writing....
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”