Family name Rabezzana

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Obelix
Rookie
Rookie

Family name Rabezzana

Postby Obelix » 15 Jan 2010, 05:45

Hi, I''m a first time poster here, having just discovered this site.
my grandmother was Ivonna Rabezzana, born Cairo Egypt of Italian parents in 1900.

I have no knowledge of that side of the family except that the surname Rabezzana is common to north west Italy and I have an old photo showing my grandmother visiting unknown friends or relatives in the Lago Mucrone (near Biella, Piedmont) area in about 1955 -56.

Can anyone suggest where I can make further inquiry?

I intend to visit the area in May this year to see some of my ancestor's homeland and I could take the opportunity to check Registries, Parish records etc., if I knew who to contact and where to look.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Family name Rabezzana

Postby johnnyonthespot » 15 Jan 2010, 12:50

This is really a long-shot, but I would go to this Egyptian government website http://www.egypt.gov.eg/general/contact_us.aspx, click on "English" at the top left, set Destination: E-Government and Service Type: Submit Complaint or Inquery.

I would then ask, "My grandmother was Ivonna Rabezzana, born Cairo Egypt of Italian parents in 1900. Is it possible to obtain a copy of her birth certificate in English or multilingual format?"

How long were they in Egypt? Was she born there during a short visit, or were her parents actually residing in Egypt?

By the way, Lago del Mucrone is a lake in Provincia di Biella in Regione Piemonte. Provincia di Biella contains 82 comuni, so you are going to have to narrow things down a bit before you have any hope of locating records (which are kept at the comune-level in Italy).

I think an Eygyptian birth certificate is your best bet on the hope that it will list her parent's place of birth or residence.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Jan 2010, 13:42

Egypt in 1900 was under English colonial jurisdiction and foreign births would have to be registered with the Italian Embassy or consulate. I would suggest that you write to the the Italian Embassy, in Cairo, Egypt and request a copy of the birth record.

I would use the italian form letter requesting thne birth record and taior it for the Italian Embassy in Cairo, Egypt instead of the Ufficio did Stato Civile in Italy so long as you have a full name and date of birth.

www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html =Peter=
~Peter~

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 15 Jan 2010, 14:15

PeterTimber wrote:Egypt in 1900 was under English colonial jurisdiction and foreign births would have to be registered with the Italian Embassy or consulate.

Good point!

The original poster might want to try sending an email in English to consolare.cairo@esteri.it (remove the spaces) just to see what happens. Worst case, he gets back a "Non capisco l'inglese" response.

Ref: http://www.ambilcairo.esteri.it/Ambasciata_IlCairo/Menu/Informazioni_e_servizi/Servizi_consolari/Stato_civile/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Jan 2010, 14:31

You may wish to send a form letter in Italian to the Republic of Italy, Consular Chancellery, 24 El Galaa Street, Bulac, Cairo Egypt so that they will have a document to respond to since they will have to go to their archives and that might take time. Sending an e-mail for something requiring an archive search makes may not be usual for the Italian Consulate . It may not be received as well as a letter. Offer to pay for any research costs as a courtesy. Your dealing with diplomats. =Peter=
~Peter~

Obelix
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Obelix » 15 Jan 2010, 15:03

Thanks, guys. I'll try all the avenues you suggest and let you know how I get on. Might take a few weeks though!

I'm really amazed at how helpful you've been. Thanks again

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 15 Jan 2010, 16:39

When writing to the Italian Consulate or Embassy in Egypt, you may use English. Even non-diplomat clerks must be fluent in English.
The address to be used is:

Ambasciata d'Italia
Consular Chancellery
24, El Galaa Str.
Bulac - Cairo
Egypt

Obelix
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Obelix » 24 Feb 2010, 12:06

Hi guys.

Well, I contacted the Italian Embassy in Cairo and have received a response advising that the information I want can be obtained from the comune of Torino.

It's in the right general area, and I assume they had some record in Cairo, as I did not say in my letter where in Italy I thought the family came from, they just advised me to contact the Comune of Torino.

Thanks for your lead Livio, and I am still following up the other suggestions.

I'm hoping that they are registered in Comune of Torino itself, not one of the many towns and villages in the area!

Obelix
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Obelix » 24 Feb 2010, 12:34

Now I need a little more help from anyone who knows how to navigate comune websites and make sense of them.

Basically, could somebody provide me with the email address for the Anagraf or Registry Officer of the Commune di Torino so that I can email them. I am sure it is on the site somewhere but I just cannot locate it.

I am able to write the appropriate message having heeded the advice provided to others on this site and having a reasonable grasp of Italian.

Cheers, and thanks for any help.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Feb 2010, 13:23

Anagrafe: info.anagrafe@comune.torino.it (remove the spaces)
Carmine

Obelix
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Obelix » 24 Feb 2010, 13:28

Grazie tanto, Johnny.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”