Elmi (surname)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Elmi (surname)

Postby Elmi » 18 Feb 2004, 02:04

Peter and suanj gave me the info below.

Central & North Italy (517 Elmi focused in region Emilia Romagna)
The surname i found in Friuli Venezia Giulia, Croatia, and Camugnano (province Bologna, region Emilia Romagna). Elmi nobles in Montefalco (province Perugia, region Umbria). Costanza (town?)
Elmi

Postby Elmi » 03 Mar 2004, 04:53

Still used, 'elmi' is the word for 'helmet.' As a name, it's from Helmut and Wilhelm (also, William of Orange at the time of the Norman Conquest), or in Italian, 'Guglielmo.' (meaning Resolute, Will, Desire) + (Helmet, Protector, Guardian)

Source listed below:

Augmentatives:[/b] Guglielmoni, Guglielmone, Ghiglione, Viglione; Memon (Venetia).

[b]Cognates:
Gigleilmo, Guglielmi; G(hi)elmo, G(hi)elmi, Vielmi (Venetia, Lambardy); Guiglia, Ghiglia (Liguria); Viglia (Piedmont, Elilia, Campania); Biglia, Biglio (Lombardy, Elilia, Compania); Lelmi, Lemmi, Lembi, Lemmo, Lembo (Tuscany); Mem(m)i, Mem(m)o.

Diminutives: Guglielmin(ett)i, Guglielmino, Gelmini, Vielmini, Ghiglino, Viglini; G(ugli)elmetti,Vielmetti, Viglietto, Viglietti, Biglietto, Biglietti; Guglielmotti, Ghigliotti, Vigliotto, Vigliotti; Guglielmelli; Guglielmucci; Memoli (Compania).

Patronymics:De Gugleilmo.

Variation: Wilhelmi (son of Wilhelm)

Short Forms: English: Will, Bill. German: Willi.

Feminine Forms: English: Willa, Wilma, Willie. German: Wilhelmina, Wilhelmine, Helmine, Helma, Mine. Hungarian: Vilma.

Origin: Wilhelmsen -- Danish, German, Norwegian; Wilhelm -- Dutch; Wilhelms -- German; Wilhelmsson -- Swedish. Transformation of William.

Authors/Source: Patrick Hanks & Flavia Hodges
http://hometown.aol.com/ewgen/WILHELM/E ... ology.html

Elmi

Italian citizen POWs, WWII

Postby Elmi » 03 May 2004, 19:45

I found a WWII term, "nazi lager." Lager usually means light beer to Americans, but this term refers to a Nazi labor or concentration camp:

laager -
bivouac, camp, cantonment, encampment (online dictionary)

I discovered WWII Italians were confined at Bologna and Venice.
POW info:
http://www.istrianet.org/istria/history ... ro-eng.htm
Elmi

Postby ptimber » 03 May 2004, 23:44

What else do you need?????????????Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Italian citizen POWs, WWII

Postby suanj » 04 May 2004, 17:39

Elmi wrote:I found a WWII term, "nazi lager." Lager usually means light beer to Americans, but this term refers to a Nazi labor or concentration camp:

laager -
bivouac, camp, cantonment, encampment (online dictionary)

My Italian relative was rescued from one, perhaps at Bologna. I discovered WWII Italians were confined at Bologna and Venice, and that Germans at one time had control of Northern Italy.
POW info:
http://www.istrianet.org/istria/history ... ro-eng.htm

Really, in Italy the words: "foibe" and "nazi-lager", are used with the same meant, an in effect have same meant for the pain of the italian prisoners..but in truth, the "foibe" was camp of Marx-Lenin ideology, but, "lager" of nazi-Germany ideology.. unfortunately the destiny of the prisoners was equal.....suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy