Researching Buscemi Mula Aliamo Mirasola in Aragona Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
natalebuscemi

Researching Buscemi Mula Aliamo Mirasola in Aragona Sicily

Postby natalebuscemi » 17 Jan 2010, 21:04

Hello, I've just begun to research my family history. I have done some internet research and poked around with lds site and looked at passenger ship lists. I would be interested in corresponding with anyone who has any information on Buscemi, Mula, Aliamo, or Mirasola lines and perhaps other family related to Aragona, Sicily. Thanks.

vj
Master
Master

Re: Researching Buscemi Mula Aliamo Mirasola in Aragona Sici

Postby vj » 17 Jan 2010, 22:01

Hello!
Many of us have subscriptions to US genealogy sites that may have records that can help in your research.
If you want to give us a few more details perhaps we can help you look.
Names, approx birth dates, location(s) in the US, etc
Thank you!
Valarie

natalebuscemi

Postby natalebuscemi » 28 Jan 2010, 19:02

Hello Valarie, Thank you for your post, Sorry it took a while to reply.....As I mentioned I have begun to explore my family genealogy on the internet..... Both my parents families come from Aragona Sicily...... Both sides of my family came to the US .in the early 1900 s... From various sources, I have names and dates of both my my paternal and maternal grand parents. My father joseph, (Giuseppe) was born in Aragona Sicily in 1919 I have his birth certificate from Aragona,Sicily, listing his father, Natale Buscemi, and his mother listed as .. Alaimo, Rosa ,Maria. ... I have found the ship manifests on ancestry . com , for both sets of grandparents.. ..My maternal grandfather is Louis( Luigi )Mula and my maternal grand mother is Alfonsa Mirasola, I also found my maternal grandfather's World War 1 draft card. My other grandfather went back to Sicily and fought for the Italians... I think I was able to figure out the names of my great grandparents from the LDS Mormon records based on, the town ,Aragona, the similarity and repetition of family names, and dates, in terms of generations ,about 20 to 30 years.... I found a, Francesco Buscemi, with the right dates married to a Rosa Rizzo.... .I remember my father telling me that his father's mother was named Rizzo. I then found the birth certificate of a Francesco Buscemi ,from Aragona and it listed his parents as Gerlando Buscemi and Stefana Costanza.
........My mother told me her grandfather was Pietro, and I found a Pietro Mula listed in Aragona the right approximate date, and his fathers name was Luigi ,same as my grandfather. That made sense since my grandfather was his oldest son... So I would now like to know if there is any way perhaps of consulting Italian records ?......... I know you can rent microfilm record from the Mormons but do not know to much about them. I heard they were incomplete tax records??....... I have heard that there are records available to the public from the town of Aragona but these civil records end in the 1830s or so. To go farther back one has to search the church records . I hope this gives you an idea of where I am at not sure of how to progress....Thanks Noel

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 28 Jan 2010, 19:34

natalebuscemi wrote:...So I would now like to know if there is any way perhaps of consulting Italian records ?......... I know you can rent microfilm record from the Mormons but do not know to much about them. I heard they were incomplete tax records??....... I have heard that there are records available to the public from the town of Aragona but these civil records end in the 1830s or so...

Hi Noel,
Thank you for the detailed update.
Please excuse the length of this response.
Valarie
---

Yes :D , your nearest Family History Center has records for Aragona on microfilm.

The microlfilm records for Aragona includes civil records: birth, marriage and death records from 1821 to 1910, and census records from 1616-1816.

The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.

Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

[url=http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=530108&disp=Registri+dello+stato+civile+di+Aragona+%%20%20&columns=*,0,0]film notes for Aragona[/url]

Topic:
Italy, Agrigento, Aragona - Civil registration

Title:
Registri dello stato civile di Aragona (Agrigento), 1821-1910 Aragona (Agrigento).
Ufficio dello stato civile

Records of births, marriage banns, marriages, and deaths, and documents enclosed with records, from the municipality of Aragona in the province of Agrigento.
Some registers include an index.

---

In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center
You'll want to call first to verify their hours

A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---

Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
---

Three terrific books
to help you find, read & understand your records:

Italian Genealogical Records
How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical, &
Other Records in Family History Research

By Tafford R Cole
google book link

A Genealogist’s Guide to
Discovering Your Italian Ancestors
How to find and record your unique heritage
By Lynn Nelson
google book link

Finding Italian Roots
By John Philip Colletta, PhD
google book link

natalebuscemi

Postby natalebuscemi » 28 Jan 2010, 23:34

Dear Valiere Thanks for your response,and I certainly do not mind the length..... Although I had looked at the LDS site, I found the areas that you directed me to useful, I also recently purchased the Phillip Colletta book. There is a lot in there for me to absorb.... .So Now I need to take the time to read the book and look at the Mormon records .......I guess after renting both the civil and census records ,you would have to look at church records in Sicily ?.....

I may be getting ahead of myself but on the LDS records I noticed something interesting....

I looked on both the LDS listings for the Southwestern Europe and the Pedigree resource files. I found a number of Mula's , my mothers father's name on Malta .Some going back to the 1600's ,many of them with similar family names. ..... Among others I found Angelo, Francesco, Maria, Rosa, Vincenzo, and most significantly I found a Pietro Mula from Malta, and that was the name of my great grandfather. ....I also found a Malta genealogy site with Mula's going back to the 1600's. .....These listings and the fact that Malta is only approximately 50!! miles from Aragona ,Sicily, would lead me to still consider that I might have ancestors from Malta.
So I am still interested in how one would go about finding whether or not this is true and making the connection from Malta to Sicily. Are there any early records to consult online? I guess you would have to find an ancestor born on Malta that went to Sicily .Do you know how to begin this process? Thanks again Noel

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 28 Jan 2010, 23:49

Hey Noel,
I think you're really going to be able to do a great deal of deep family research with the microfilm.
I find Italian records so very much more complete than US records.
It's wonderful that they're all kept at the comune - only one place to look!
You're correct, after you've exhausted the civil records, parish records would probably be next. You'll need to know which church in Aragona.
http://www.parrocchie.it/index.html?CCH ... bella=&id=
Your success in accessing church records is pretty much dependant upon the local priest. Many folks have had limited success by hiring someone locally to work with the church.
Before civil and church records I believe you are dealing mostly with notarial records.
You may want to re-ask the question about Malta separately (as a new topic) and see if our experts can sort this out for you.
Valarie

natalebuscemi

Postby natalebuscemi » 29 Jan 2010, 00:59

Hi Valarie, Thanks for getting back to me. It looks like I have some work to do, now to find the time... I am going to look into ordering the micro film soon to see what I can find out, and then the best thing, I think, I could next is make a donation to the church in Aragona Sicily. Ha!! .....You mentioned notarial records... those would be very early records? .. What kinds of things are in them and how would one access them? Thanks for your advice on my Malta question. ... I will do that at some point... take care Noel

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 29 Jan 2010, 14:52

Hello Noel :D !
I think this article from the forum's archive will give you some idea on very early records.
Valarie
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/News ... sid=5.html

natalebuscemi

Postby natalebuscemi » 29 Jan 2010, 17:12

Hi Valarie, Thanks for directing me to the article. I found it really interesting .....It looks like delving that far back requires a lot of work!! ....I think it would be fascinating, if I were able to trace that far back, considering I have been told only that I come from Sicilian peasants .. Thanks for replying to my posts . I think from your help I have a better idea about how to proceed. Noel

Return to “Italian Genealogy”