GG details

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
leash
Rookie
Rookie

GG details

Postby leash » 22 Jan 2010, 08:57

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way I can find out the details of my nan's parents like there date of births. Can someone assist me with a letter?
And then to find out details of there parents, I am trying to do my faily tree but I have noone available to give me details..

Thanks
Known surnames- Mollica, Alba, Cannella, Secchitano
I would like to research my family history and find out as much as I can =)

leash
Rookie
Rookie

Re: GG details

Postby leash » 22 Jan 2010, 09:32

i would also like to know the names of the children that my nans parents had...

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 22 Jan 2010, 11:58

Names in Italy tend to repeat every generation or two, so a particular village may have seen many John Smith's born in a period of just twenty years.

You need to start with some reasonably good data; the best way to do so is to begin with today and work backwards throughout history. What do you know for certain about your man? His father's name, approximate or exact age? Place of birth? What about his mother's maiden name, birthday and place of birth?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

leash
Rookie
Rookie

Postby leash » 23 Jan 2010, 11:40

the only thing i know is that my nan was born in lipari to parents Nunziata Alba (married name Cannelle) and father Domenico Cannella, I am not sure when or where they got married but am hoping to work on this find out there parents and children etc, would also love to know the name of the children my gg parents had to find out my cousins etc.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Jan 2010, 12:07

I would suggest that you write to the Ufficio dello Stato Civile di Comune di Lipari, requesting your man's birth certificate as a start, but after some brief research it is not at all clear to me where exactly those records are held.

You can try sending the letter below, or wait to see if someone else can offer a better address.

[your man's name]
[your address]

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Lipari
98055 LIPARI (ME)
ITALY

Egregi Signori,

Vi sarei estremamente grata se poteste effettuare una ricerca nei vostri registri e spedirmi il estratto per riassunto per atto di nascita è copia integrale dell'atto di nascita per mi

• CANNELLA [your man's given name, "ROBERTO" for example] nato nel Comune di Lipari [date of birth] paternità DOMENICO, maternità CANNELLE NUNZIATA

Grazie mille.

Distinti saluti,

[your man's signature]

As written above, the letter requests his birth (nascita) extract and (è) also a photocopy of the origianl record. The extracts are usually computer-generated documents which show date of birth, parent's names, and often additional notations. Photocopies of the original registry entries are handwritten documents, in Italian (obviously), and can be very difficult to decipher - though they include a great deal of additional information.

You can change the request to get different records by swapping some words around:

Birth/marriage/death photocopies of original registry pages are called: Copia integrale dell'atto di Nascita/Matrimonio/Morte

Birth/marriage/death computer-generated extracts are: Estratto Per Riassunto Per Atto Di Nascita/Matrimonio/Morte

Assuming that you get a response and receive your man's birth record, you can then use the information on it to request his parent's birth/marriage/and death records. From there, you can go back yet another generation.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

zona1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby zona1 » 23 Jan 2010, 15:49

Please check your private messages.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”