Giuseppe (Joseph) and Antionette DiCorcia from Santomenna

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BobNC

Giuseppe (Joseph) and Antionette DiCorcia from Santomenna

Postby BobNC » 23 Jan 2010, 14:25

Looking for any/all information on my paternal grandparents who emigrated from Santomenna Italy around 1915-1917 to Jersey City NJ.

Also, anyone who might have DiCorcia surname in Santomenna that might be related...

General information about the town would also be appreciated.

Bob DiCorcia
formerly of New Jersey
current resident of North Carolina

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Giuseppe (Joseph) and Antionette DiCorcia from Santomenn

Postby misbris » 23 Jan 2010, 16:20

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum,

Saw your other post, so can we assume there is no relation to that other family?

Do you have any info at all ship's manifests, census records? If not we will start from there.

Some info about the town.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/065/131/index.html

denisemadison

Postby denisemadison » 05 Mar 2010, 17:23

Bob,
My grandfather Domenico DiCorcia came to Jersey City from Santomenna in 1910. His manifest calls him Domenico Corcia. He was born in Santomenna in 1892 to Franciscanto DiCorcia and Elisabetta Calabrese. I really don't know if there was a son, Giuseppe but there was another son Leonardo.

May be a cousin, since my father had a brother named Joseph and a sister Antoinette, and I have 2 cousins named Robert.

I will be travelling to Italy in the fall and intent to visit Santomenna as well as Gioi (my grandmother's town).

Do you know of other family members?

Denise
Morristown, NJ

denisemadison

Postby denisemadison » 05 Mar 2010, 17:31

Bob,
One other item of interest. If you are a facebook member, you can become a fan of the Santomenna town page. My cousins and I are on it. It is mostly in Italian, but great pictures and one of the page founders' name is DiCorcia.

Denise

BobNC

Postby BobNC » 12 Mar 2010, 23:15

Hi Denise-
Thanks for the reply. Maybe our grandparents were cousins, though I think I might remember the names you mentioned. I will forward your reply to my Uncle Joe to check out. I will also join Santamenna facebook page.

Bob

PS-Funny -when I worked in NJ I found a business card of a Bob DiCorcia who worked for HP or some such company in NJ. I kept it because it was odd to lean down, pick up a card, and see the name of a person with the same name as yours. Is this your cousin?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Mar 2010, 23:21

www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html
is a website allowing you to use form letters in Italian to mail to Santomenna UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE to request records and documents of your family members with only a full name and estimated year in which an event occurred (bith,marriage deaths ).

The www.tuttitalia.it/campania/63-santomenna is both an administrative and tourist website for Santomenna and if you mail a request for documents to the office mentioned above use the addresss listed under MUNICIPIO in this website. =Peter=
~Peter~

denisemadison

Postby denisemadison » 12 Mar 2010, 23:51

Bob,
Since my last post I have been in contact with someone who gave me quite a bit of info on the DiCorcia's from Santomenna. Based on some research and info received, was your grandfather born in 1894 and his father also name Guiseppe? Was your grandmother's maiden name Vosa? They had three children Frank, Joseph and Rosa.

I was wondering if they were related to my grandfather since he was born in 1892 to Francesco and Elizabetta DiCorcia. He came here in 1910 and Guiseppe came in 1911. They both settled in Jersey City; they both were cobblers; and they both had children names Frank, Joseph, and Rosa. My grandparents had 6 other children too.
Unfortunately it is difficult to go back beyond my great grandfather, but I believe that Guiseppe's father Guiseppe was either a brother or cousin to my great grandfather Francesco.

See if this makes any sense to your relatives.

Also, yes that was probably my cousin Robert. He worked at HP and once I was in a pancake house, and they called DiCorcia and we both went to the hostess, not knowiing the other was there.
Denise

BobNC

Postby BobNC » 13 Mar 2010, 22:37

Denise -So cool! Yes, my grandmother's maiden name was Vosa. My grandfather did emigrate here around the year you mention. Does this mean that my grandfather and your grandfather were cousins? I will send your most recent post out to my Uncle Joe. My father was Frank who died in 1997. My Aunt Rose very recently - 2/27.
Bob

denisemadison

Postby denisemadison » 13 Mar 2010, 22:55

Bob,
The item that needs to be traced to see if our Great Grandfathers were cousins or brothers is to find out who their father was. I am going to write to Santamenno to see if they have my Great Grandfather - Francesco's records. There are also very many similiarities with another family who is Point Pleasant based. They are all desendants of another Francesco who was a year apart from my Great Grandfather and his children are all around my Grandfather's age. Again many of the family's first names are the same as my families.
Let me know if you uncle can put the pieces together
Denise

BobNC

Postby BobNC » 14 Mar 2010, 21:11

Hi Denise--
Haven't heard from my uncle yet, but, my cousin had written down quite of bit of information.

My grandfather Joseph DiCorcia was born 4/10/1894. His father's name was Frank and his mother's maiden name was DiMartino. He had only one brother -Augustino and 4 sisters.

Sounds like your great grandfather and my grandfather were not brothers, but, maybe cousins?

Let me know if you find anything else out.

My cousin Margaret had visited Santomenna in 1983 and she had visited the town's cemetary and saw many DiCorcia names.

Bob

denisemadison

Postby denisemadison » 14 Mar 2010, 21:45

Hi Bob,
I been working on a speadsheet taking the info from the Santomenna tree and trying to link everything together. What it looks like is that there is an Augustino, but without a link to siblings, which could mean that the person collecting the data did not know. Additionally, it shows that your great-grandfather's father name was Guiseppe like your grandfather's, and he wife's name was Rosa. I don't know it that makes sense.

I would be happy to share the datawith you if you email me at denise.streit@gmail.com with a email address to send it to.
Denise

BobNC

Postby BobNC » 15 Mar 2010, 19:31

Hmm. I think my cousin said my great grandfather's name was Frank and his mother's name was Rose DiMartino. I would be interested in seeing your tree.

My email is rfd24_2000@yahoo.com

Thanks Denise!

PS- My grandfather also had 3 sisters Grace, Rose, and Maria Felisa, in addition to his brother Augustino.

jdicorcia

Postby jdicorcia » 29 Mar 2010, 23:14

Bob...Hard to believe, but my grandfather was also Domenico DiCorcia, born in 1890, from Santomenna. We thought he came to the US in 1903 with his brother Luciano. He married Emma Fusella and had three children: Grace, Frank, and Edward (my Dad). Related? or absolute coincidence? They lived in NYC.

BobNC

Postby BobNC » 30 Mar 2010, 17:33

My grandfather didn't have any brothers named Domenic. He only had one brother - Augustino (Auggie). I think someone else had mentioned having a relative named Dominic...

Bob

ddicorcia

Postby ddicorcia » 13 May 2010, 22:56

Hi

I am your cousin bob! My grandfather was Augustino DiCorcia who used to own a newsstand in Jersey City. He had a brother named Joe. Augustion married Antonio and had 4 children Asunta, Marion, Rose and Frank(my dad). It is so wild that I saw this post! Now I know why my dad’s name was frank.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”