Andrew and Vito Minetti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JoeC
Rookie
Rookie

Andrew and Vito Minetti

Post by JoeC »

Hi -

I'm trying to find out some information about two great uncles of mine, Andrew Minetti and Vito (Anito) Minetti, who died in WWII. Both of them lived in Hoboken, New Jersey.

Here is what I know about Andrew:
Born Oct 20, 1917 in New York, New York. Military enlistment date was Feb 6, 1942. According to a newspaper article I have, he was a Cpl. and was fatally injured on August 7, 1942 while on duty with the Coast Artillery in Burbank, California. I have no idea where he is buried or what actually happened.

Here is what I know about Vito:
Born Mar 31, 1922 in New York, New York. Military enlistment date was June 11, 1943. Married Constance Brignola on June 13, 1943. Died May 2, 1945 and is buried in Plot B Row 3 Grave 21 Netherlands American Cemetery Margraten, Netherlands. He was a Pfc. and served with the 717th Tank Battalion.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks -
Joe
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Andrew and Vito Minetti

Post by Tessa78 »

From the California Death Index:

Name: Andrew Minetti
Social Security #: 158106606
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 20 Oct 1918
Birthplace: New York
Death Date: 8 Aug 1942
Death Place: Los Angeles

T.
Dkesler

Post by Dkesler »

My father was in the 717th tank battalion with Vito. They were in different companies and did not know the other. The battalion yearbook lists vito's death but no other information. There are reports available online on the 717 if you are interested.
JoeC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeC »

Hi DDkesler -

I'd be very interested in any information. Can you send me the links of any reports you are aware of?

Thanks -
Joe
Dkesler

Post by Dkesler »

Hi JoeC, do a google search 717th tank battalion and the 3 best websites are (717th tank battalion record) approx page 6 on website digicom.bpl.lib and (history 717th tank battalion 1 Jan 1945-31 july 1945) on website cgcs.contentdm and (File:717th tankpic wikimediacommons) on website commons.wikimedia.org and scroll down to 2nd page and clic on User:Pnkennedy/717th tank battalion WWll This last site has the operations and intelligence report up to April 30 1945. The May O and I report exists somewhere but i haven't found it. My condolences on your families loss. Jim K
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

I found this on the World War II Memorial website:
http://www.wwiimemorial.com/registry/wa ... 1&tcount=5

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/default.asp ... wtable=YES

I wrote to the address in the link below and I received information about my uncle who died in WW2.

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/milita ... index.html