Maraccini family search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
joanklein

Maraccini family search

Postby joanklein » 04 Feb 2010, 01:03

I am searching for any information regarding my great grandmother-- Laura Maraccini who married Hermann Alexander Lochner in Smyrna Turkey. She was born in Italy in 1846 and died in an internment camp in Turkey in 1947. I have not been able to locate any records about her or her family. Any help

Joan

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Maraccini family search

Postby misbris » 04 Feb 2010, 01:19

Hi Joan and welcome to the forum,

The name Maraccini seems to be very rare and appears in only a few towns in Tuscany and Sicily. Many of the people with that name who came through Ellis Island came from the province of Lucca.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&dv=&ind=

joanklein

Postby joanklein » 04 Feb 2010, 02:20

Thank you so much for your reply. As far as I can tell my great grandmother moved from Italy to Turkey and never came to the U.S. My grandfather came through Ellis Island but unfortunately a lot of the details are missing. My hope is that someone will have a relative of her's in their family tree and she will ring a bell. My other Italian relatives are Alliotis and I have been able to get lots of information from them.

Thank you so much for the web sites. I will be saving them all! I wonder if all those Maraccinis would faint if I wrote to them!

Thank you again!

Joan

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 04 Feb 2010, 03:04

I only made that comment about Ellis Island to give you an idea of where Maraccinis immigrated from. Do you have any idea of the name of the camp, location and /or why she was there? I was searching for names of camps, but have drawn a blank so far.

There are so few Maracchinis, I think you have a shot of finding out something if you write letters. Was your grandfather born in Turkey? Do you have a birth certificate for him? Or a marriage certificate for his parents? Was your great grandfather German?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 04 Feb 2010, 03:31

There are several listings for Marracini in Turkey and so go to www.google.com and put in the Title:
MARRACINI SURNAME GENEALOGY TURKEY and take it from there. =Peter=
~Peter~

joanklein

Postby joanklein » 04 Feb 2010, 05:02

My great grandfather was born in Smyrna. His grandfather was sent on a world tour after getting in some kind of trouble in Germany. He made it as far as Turkey when he met and married my great grandmother. They were in the internment camp because the Germans had been ordered out of Turkey during the war and they didn't leave. I have the card that was passed out at her funeral. Sadly I am missing documentation for most of the important events in their lives.

I checked google for Maraccini but didn't find anything. I will look again when I have more time.

Thank you so much!
Joan

Return to “Italian Genealogy”